Improving the "Server is down" message

"The server will be better tomorrow." :D

Seriously though, I really like these ideas and it'd be way nicer than just "we're busy, come back later". :)

"Please forgive the automated workers, they know not what they do."

"Server repair is being rushed, the whipping has commenced."

"Please forgive the automated workers, they know not what they do."

"Server repair is being rushed, the whipping has commenced."

Thunderfall, the people have vested absolute power in you, trusting that you can get a server to stand the test of time!

These are great :lol:.

"You have discovered the internet; it is malfunctioning."

"We should have saved a great Engineer, eh?"

"The Server needs a few more turns to heal before taking Monty's Capital."

"The Server is relocating from Monty's Armies"

"The Internet has launched an ICBM at the Server, and it explodes!"

"You have reached the server message, press here (fiftychat) for alternative forum."

"BARBARIANS AT THE PAGE! RUN!"

It's not Civ styled, but still:

Spoiler :

We have been beaten to building "The Server" by one turn by the Egyptians. It will be ours again soon.

Thunderfall, the people have vested absolute power in you, trusting that you can get a server to stand the test of time!

:goodjob: That's pretty good.

"Our advisers are telling us that people want us to fix the server. For once, we'll listen to what they have to say."

"Our science adviser wants the server fixed. Apparently, it's his favorite technology."

"We are renegotiating the RoP agreement with the server."

"The server is down. Go play some RFC and come back around 1600."

Just get a better server. Seeing it all the time is just getting annoying.

A few more:

"The server is experiencing civil disorder. We are recruiting more entertainers."
"The server is waiting for the unit in front of it to move."
"The server has encountered a spearman. Please try again later."
All of these are excellent! :)

Anyone "In the know" know if any of this is at all possible?
I belonged to a vBulletin forum a few years ago that used a different message when the server wasn't working. We were advised to have a cup of tea while we waited. Since the server was down for over a week, we got really sick and tired of drinking all that tea...

:goodjob:

We have been beaten to building "The Server" by one turn by the Egyptians. It will be ours again soon.
I take it that if a CFC version of Civ were ever to come out, The Server would be one of the Wonders? :mischief:

My suggestions:

The Server is busy. Please get up off your chair, put on a coat, and go outside. Take a walk. Smell some flowers. Say hello to some live humans. Have a cup of your favorite beverage. RELAX!

The Server is busy. You can go back to work now.

We could've really used that better message these last few hours.

Now if this were a forum dedicated to lolcats...

Ohai, eberybuddy. Dis is teh Server. I hassa sick - *AH-CHOO!!!* <sniff> Plz to ask Thunderfall to call Dr. Tinycat to come help me get bedder. Kthxbai!

P.S. I can has chiken soup?

Now if this were a forum dedicated to lolcats...

Ohai, eberybuddy. Dis is teh Server. I hassa sick - *AH-CHOO!!!* <sniff> Plz to ask Thunderfall to call Dr. Tinycat to come help me get bedder. Kthxbai!

P.S. I can has chiken soup?

It's not.

Also, fixing the server would be vastly preferable to amusing server is down messages.

No kidding. :rolleyes:

I agree that fixing the server would be the best thing to do, but I also see nothing wrong with making it less stressful for people to deal with it when it does go down.

Also, fixing the server would be vastly preferable to amusing server is down messages.

But this seems a lot easier. It isn't an either/or situation. I can't imagine this would take more than 30 minutes at absolute max and even if the server is "fixed" there still will be the occasional problem. When those happen it would be a lot nicer if we had an entertaining message.

No kidding. :rolleyes:

I agree that fixing the server would be the best thing to do, but I also see nothing wrong with making it less stressful for people to deal with it when it does go down.

But this seems a lot easier. It isn't an either/or situation. I can't imagine this would take more than 30 minutes at absolute max and even if the server is "fixed" there still will be the occasional problem. When those happen it would be a lot nicer if we had an entertaining message.

Not once have I thought to myself, oh gee, I'd be less annoyed with the server being down if only the server is down message was some mildly amusing civ-related joke.

CFC is by far the least reliable of the forums I post on. It's simply not good enough.

So have you offered any practical advice to Thunderfall, then? Or are you just here to bellow at him to get it fixed, and by the way, don't allow anybody else to express a little humor at the situation? :huh:

Humor can work wonders at keeping one's blood pressure down. That's one way I dealt with unruly infractees - I would take "humor breaks" to keep myself from saying some really angry things.

Top Bottom