SCENARIO: American Civil War Full-Release Version

Did you enjoy playing this scenario?

• Yes, this is one of the best ever, please send it to Firaxis.

Votes: 62 39.5%
  • Yes, this scenario is well-made.

Votes: 26 16.6%
  • Yes, but improvements could be made.

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • I cannot vote at this time.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • No, I didn't really like it.

Votes: 11 7.0%

• Total voters
I don`t think the current Kentucky-placement is bad.

A "race" for Kentucky would not be so realistic.

That's true...it does look better with Kentucky already occupied.

No real fighting occurred in the Kentucky region until Brigadier General Thomas attacked Major General Crittenden's force at Logan's Cross Roads in January, 1862. Simulating such a thing would be next to impossible. So, at least with the current setup, fighting can occur when it more realistically should.

I've eliminated the navigable portion of the Cumberland because with moving the 5 cities near the Ohio/Mississippi junction northeast 1 square each (more geographically accurate), it no longer fits nicely (and its too close to the Tennessee anyways). The Cumberland wasn't really used for naval transport anyways.

I've redone the Mississippi, Ohio, and Tennessee Rivers in that 5 city region. It looks better now.

The upper portion of the Tennessee actually includes the Cumberland, since they're only 12 miles apart or so, till about Fort Henry/Donelson area. At that point, is where I've started the Cumberland.

I think you can compare the Kentucky-situation
with the Baltic-states in strategic WW2-games.

Most games use different sorts of "auto-annextion"
of the Baltic states.

In theory that is unrealistic but in reality its the
best solution if you want a realistic WW2-game.

Originally posted by Procifica
Once you fortify all those Home Guard and Garrison units (which can't move), later turns should go faster. :)

I'm still working on the issue of Home Guard units, one of the later Beta Versions did reduce their numbers by a decent amount.

So, if I'm correct on this, the 76% crash problem has been solved by simple editing of civilopedia.txt and pediaicons.txt with a few things missing from the PTW versions of each which I missed the first time???

Over the next 2 weeks, here are going to be my priorities:

1) Finish Version 2.10PRE. (I'll look into the cavalry in the west, LouLong, I know the Regular Army cavalry was very small in 1860/61. If you have any figures about western troop placement with regard to cavalry in 1860/1861, they'd be most helpful.)

1a) Find ways to get first turn to go faster (I'll see what I can do about Home Guards).

2) Add custom unit graphics for as many units as I can find.

3) Finish civilopedia.txt.

LouLong: Thanks for your feedback. :)

1) I don't have any. I just remember there were some small but seasoned cavalry troops against the Indians and that Indians had a happy time when these troops were called back East.

1a) I don't think you can do anything about that :D . It is just long but not really a problem.

2) good idea but try to fix the barbarian conscript before anything else, it is just a pb of renaming in the PTW editor. Musketeer really looks dumb when mounted warrior is already in the game !

You are welcome. I had a good time as the CSA. Got rid of the Union fleet, destroyed some of its armies and even captured a few cities. I am stuck in front of Washington though and Union has taken two small cities of mine. Just trying to increase my cities population, output (factories) and terrain improvements before preparing a major offensive (as long as I can hold the North)

Washington is meant to be hard to take. :) It'll be harder in Version 2.10PRE, as I'll be strengthening the Garrisons there (to Veteran, plus 1 additional Regular Garrison added). Blockcade Runners are being weakened by a good amount as well (realistically, they should be weaker than a Sloop).

Terrain improvements take awhile don't they? :) Since the scenario is based basically as 1 week=1 turn, it would be unrealistic to be able to build irrigation or railroads or whatever in a couple turns. And I don't want cities to grow too fast.

I'll look into changing the Barbarian conscript, I'm using the Civ3 editor.

Version 2.10PRE is now uploaded. Please don't forget to download the dummy file at the bottom of the post so I can keep track of downloads. :)

Version 2.10PRE loaded from PTW.

I don`t think there will be any more problems with the
76%-crash.

I'm hoping the 76% crash is gone too. I can't believe that the cause of the 76% crash was a few things from pediaicons.txt and/or civilopedia.txt that are in the PTW version that aren't in the Civ3 version (which aren't even really used in ACW).

I still think you should consider a great factoring out
with Home Guard units.

It will give many players a better first impression of ACW,
and loss of realism is marginal.

I'm still back and forth on this...if I eliminate the Home Guards, then the AI will have to build Home Guards to fill the holes, which means it will spend less time building other, more useful things. The AI will mostly likely want at least 2 units defending a city (especially under CSA government, to take advantage of additional military martial law effect).

Even if I took out say all backwater Home Guards of cities of size 1 in CSA and USA, that would only eliminate maybe 40 units or so. Out of probably 300+ to start the scenario...I don't think it'd make much difference.

What I WISH I could do, is set the units to FORTIFY right at the start, so players of the scenario wouldn't have to do it themselves for every Home Guard or Garrison.

What do you think about this: Make Home Guards a little weaker (say stats of 1/2/1 for regular Home Guards, and 1/1/1 for the Home Guard (small)), and give them a cost of 0 (or 10), but they still would require 1 population. Then, if the AI actually would still build a couple for defense, then I wouldn't need to place as many initially.

Yes, I see your point.
May be its best to abstain from changing this, and
wait for feedback on the subject.

Perhaps saved games can be posted where all the home guards and garrisons have been fortified and nothing else has changed.

Yes, we can do that. I don't plan on making any major changes for awhile, so I'll work on that later.

Whoohoo! I've contributed an idea! I feel so....complete....

Any and all ideas are always welcome. I give credit where credit is due, as well.

I hope more people will post their thoughts and opinions about the scenario. For those who have a Beta Version, or have one of the Version 2.00PRE's, I highly recommend downloading Version 2.10PRE. This version corrects the 76% error bug which caused the scenario to randomly crash on PTW.

If there are things which you think should be in the scenario, please feel free to post. Be sure first to look at the upcoming changes, to see if your idea(s) is/are not on the list already. What I'm in particular looking for at the moment is custom unit graphics, some I'm going to be adding later this week for optional downloading. Also, if anyone has more accurate figures for troop placements in Missouri, West Virginia, and/or Kentucky, please let me know. Each HP of most units is equal to approximately 500 troops.

I'm not planning any major changes to the scenario itself for awhile (at least a week or two ;)), so feel free to download the scenario and give it a try. Vote in the poll and/or rate the thread, if you have an opinion about the scenario, positive or negative. Or post your thoughts here. All feedback is welcome.

Upcoming Changes has been updated, for those interested in seeing what is next for the ACW scenario. None of the upcoming changes are major changes, which means your current version of the scenario is playable for awhile. :)

Just as a note, saved games from Version 2.00PRE are NOT compatible with Version 2.10PRE. Major updates now are going to be at least 2 to 3 weeks apart, so you actually will have time to play out the scenario. Short game versions for PTW are in planning and will be up TBA.

"Campaign reports" are of very great value.

Also: What do you think about the first turn of
the scenario?

Does the first turn take to much time or is it OK?

Yes, certainly, campaign reports for the Union and Confederacy are very useful, to see how the AI reacts to different strategies and to make sure the scenario is winnable. The Union should be the easier of the two to win with, but the Confederacy also should be able to win eventually.

Top Bottom