PBEM Age of Imperialism; 1895-1924, Deluxe Version

The production cycle happens in several phases. I can't remember what the exact order is, but the gist of it is:

-At the end of your turn, you maximize gold production.

-After your first build popup, you cycle through all of the cities and maximize shield production.

So if you were working, say, roaded gold on a river then switch it to a railroaded and mined iron mountain, you get the gold and the shields. It's generally looked down upon to do this, and a fair amount of PBEMs explicitly forbid it.

Oh you mean the citizens thing. I usually have the governor control them especially during war time. I find it tedious when a city falls into civil disorder. But changing production from an improvement to a unit is fine, right?

These preturn manipulations or what ever else can be done is not comon knowledge, I've never heard of it. The use of any dramatic means to give yourself an advantage over comon players that play the game for its intended way is clearly not fair.

People that use this kind of play style should play with people capable of matching this type style, not just any game they feel they are interested in playing.

Basically what I'm talking about is let's say Italy surprise attacks me. On my next turn I see the pop-up Paris builds x. I can then zoom to the city screen and from there scroll between cities to change what was being built to something else, like a unit instead of an improvement. This I assumed was common knowledge, but if not then I suppose we can ban it. What is not allowed is taking advantage of bugs in the game by moving citizens around during this time to maximize both gold and production. I don't recall the exact details of how it works, but it doesn't really matter as it should not be used.

@Bengal Tiger I wasn't referring to you
Changing a cities production from a building to a unit is something I do if I need to, sometimes you loose shields in the process

I am aware of my mistake. Can't undo what's done. Totally understand if I don't get any more turns.

Out of curiosity how does inter turn stuff make research go faster? The research limit is 4 turns. If you checked the file he has both protected cruisers and colonial admin done and then it's 1 turn into a 3rd technology. Some PCs and conscript workers are already built. The 2nd technology must have been completed on turn 7, which is faster than the 4 turn minimum for research.

Also considering the research and gold stockpile it's impossible that any gold has been used to actually rush a unit. The last turn report claims artillery was used to attack the Boers but there's no artillery down there, how many 8 attack units does it take to kill a few with 9 defense? I mean like there's more than just a little bit of extra production.

Again:

-Beakers can be gathered in the in-between turn, if you look closely i have a lot of specialits, so on turn 7, i already had 8t of research completed, because i gathered the pre turn beakers first when game begins (yes you get beakers and shield output on a PBEM before you start playing, go check), so it wasn´t faster then the minimum 4t;

-Again, i don´t rush units from zero, i completes on a turn, and i time it to complete in cycles, that´s why in the beginning of turn 8 i have units poping up everywhere;

-A unit with 2 movement is a fast attacker, it can kill a defender with defense 9 without defensive bonus after 2 or 4 attacks, go check the combat simulator utility, i used 3 to 4 infantry in the Boer attacks, they can also heal in the pre turn, check Lanzelot´s article on page 2;

-PC´s can be built in 1t with shield production alone, same as conscript workers, you just have to be smart and start a military unit that receives the war time bonus and change it to the unit you want;

-Also, i fight using units all across the empire, a unit in Goa could attack the Boer´s using my ship chain, travel the railroad in Mozambique and attack without losing a movement point, go check, the ship chains are also in the save, if you bother to look.

Very well, i explain how i got that stack:

All those Horse Artillery British were produced asweel as the Cruisers in Porto and Lisbon.

The portuguese infantry was short rushed in Madeira and Azores in 5-6t cycles and all the other colonial infantry was short rushed in the colonies/teleported, almost 60% of the stack comes from Gunie Bissau, Macau, Dili, and the colonies, i´m using a ship hoping from Goa to Madagascar, and from Angola to Portugal, i can transport a unit to Lisbon in 0t with that method, i also make about +980gpt per turn, i´m running war time production from turn 0, so we are at turn 8, that´s makes with the pre turn 9 + 1 = 10t of production at war time production.

Transports can be short rushed, then home guard/colonial garrison in the re-same turn for little amount of gold, my stack is exactly what it should be with all the colony trading (instantly transports units to capital), short rushing and ship hoping i´v been making.

I do not know how to edit the save with Sima editor, nor did i asked him to tell me or do it for me.

I transfered almost my entire troops because i was afraid of France/England or Spanish invasion.

I know my way of playing tends to be over productive, as i interfere with the pre turn a lot.

First off I would like to apologize to our host Rick for being confronted this way with this issue, it should have been handled better.

Second I want to apologize to TomYo for putting him in the middle of all this.

Third I want to apologize to Bowsling and the rest of the players for starting all this in the first place.

I was the one who first started talking about the in my opinion impossible things Portugal was doing and talking to a few other players about it.

Then when going back to some old saves and trying to figure out how auto bombard works I noticed that Portugal was producing units in every city on his turn.

If anyone wants to know the whole breakdown of what went on I can forward you the emails back and forth between the players I was in conversation about this and how it all went down. There was a lot of input form outside players not in the game it seems Rick has quite the reputation in the pbem community.

Now the explanation that Rick gives on how it all happened is not even close to the truth there is no way the things going on could be explained this way.

Before we allow the game to go on if that is what is decided I would like to get to the bottom of this and find out the truth of the matter.

Once again I sorry for my part in this and hope that everyone can try and understand where all this is coming from.

Jureil:(

There are two phases, there is the end turn phase that happens after all human playes have done their turns in PBEM, the movement is processed, trade network income is gathered and luxury resources bonus income/happiness kick in, after that comes the players turn, that is when you receive the save, and you have the dialog box for city production and tech research checked in preferences you can acess the pre-turn sequence, by going to "let´s see the whole picture" or "zoom to zity", from there you can acess either the F1-F6 screens and cycle trough cities, the pre turn sequence will run from the city with the build queue order of the city, meaning you get to manipulate a cites shield production at a time, thus, you can milk it for beakers on the end of turn, and then re-switch to taxmen on the pre turn, doubling the amount of beakers and gold you get for that city, the same can be done for the shields, if you short rush a building and then short rush a unit, a building short rush gives you double shields that you effectively paid for it in the end of turn, when you then switch to a unit on the pre turn your short rush a unit, and you got 2t of shield production instead of just 1, plus you now have mor emoney, and more beakers for more short rushing on other cities along the cyclye of the pre turn sequence, you micromanage this and you get a steamroll of income and production that increases as the turns progress.

I play C3C for fun. That probably playing into the Modern Age doesn't bother me like it bothers the war monger. I'm a builder and don't mind micro-managing the normal in game mechanics made available to a player in the normal turn process.

But if I had to break into the internal game mechanics every turn to squeeze every last drop of profit and production out of my cities, and then play my turn with more heavy micro-managing, I'd probably get bored like the war mongerers, who like to end their C3C experiences as quickly as possible. (That's another issue that bothers me. If you don't want to play, why start the game?)

Eclipse, don't bother yourself learning how to crack C3C. Just play the game like it SHOULD be played. This isn't Wall Street, we're not CitiBank, you're not Mitt Romney. This is a game.

Sorry, people. I've lost my interest in playing this PBEM.

Are we all expected to do this pre turn shield doubling stuff to compete? Is this standard practice for long time civ3 veterans or something? Also not clear on how research minimum was broken. I mean it's not that I'm interested in leaning details to do this stuff but this is all supposed to be done without any cheating?

I play C3C for fun. That probably playing into the Modern Age doesn't bother me like it bothers the war monger. I'm a builder and don't mind micro-managing the normal in game mechanics made available to a player in the normal turn process.

But if I had to break into the internal game mechanics every turn to squeeze every last drop of profit and production out of my cities, and then play my turn with more heavy micro-managing, I'd probably get bored like the war mongerers, who like to end their C3C experiences as quickly as possible. (That's another issue that bothers me. If you don't want to play, why start the game?)

Eclipse, don't bother yourself learning how to crack C3C. Just play the game like it SHOULD be played. This isn't Wall Street, we're not CitiBank, you're not Mitt Romney. This is a game.

Sorry, people. I've lost my interest in playing this PBEM.

Thanks Cyc
No I have no interest in performing this I just want to know how its done. I've played a hundred games give or take in pbem and simply move shields/food/gold within the city screen to fit the need after something is completed. This far above what I do.

I understand the process has been broke down and within certain "Phases" things can be manipulated the part I'm not grasping is "once I hit End of Turn" the game creates a sav file it doesn't let me manipulate things. are we talking about using a 3rd party program or when the "End of Turn" button is blinking? If it is the 2nd I do not get a Dialog box allowing further actions as described by 3 people now.

The dialog boxes would normally be your advisors when they appear before your turn actually starts. Maybe what I posted in the HOF PBEM thread will explain this better.

Can the integrity of this game be repaired?

If it was not for a few games I am playing in I would seriously consider uninstalling C3C completely!!! I feel "Virtually Robbed" of YEARS and God only knows how many hours spent here to find not the word "cheat" that disturbs me but the fact that I do not know how much of this kind of thing has been going on whether some feel it is OK or not. I believed that win or loose this game was fun, that's why I play this.

This is a big deal to me

Relax Darkside.....

Things like this happen few and far between. Rules for this kind of thing are usually set up prior to the game to let people know not to do them. There are people that can spot the odd growth or speed in research and development. It's OK. Most people are just like you and want to have fun.

Have a beer and shrug it off.

So should I play my turn now?(or tomorrow night which is when I'm next able to play?) Or will Rick redo his turn, deleting extra units and changing Portugal to AI? Is there anyone else who no longer wishes to play? If so they should speak up now. Should we attempt to find people to fill vacant spots, especially colonial positions? Or do we start anew? Will new players have to honour previous agreements or make their own? And I still don't know if someone can put a master password on, which I think has to be done. All these things need to be discussed before moving on.
Despite how things are now, I've still had a lot of fun, and it would be a shame to let everything fall apart now.

Top Bottom