Huge patches

the oob

Retired PTBS host
Some people, including myself, have to download > 4GB when getting the latest patch, this has happened a few times for me and I thought it was the same for everyone, but according to some posts I've read it's not universal. Does anyone have a solution for this? In New Zealand 4GB is a lot of bandwidth, I'm capped at 30GB/month :(

4 GB? I didn't think the last patch was nearly that big... Did you install from Steam with no physical disk? It sounds like it's having you re-install significant portions of the game.

Well, sorry, I'm afraid I have zero insight into this :( My best guess would be get a physical disk if you can - it sounds like they're having you redownload massive swaths of data to patch, which seems like a problem to say the least.

Oh, and, just to pre-empt the inevitable mod entry, you'll probably be asked to move the thread here:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=409

Might want to create it there as well, as more tech oriented people hang around the tech support area.

Good luck either way.

Can I move the thread? I thought only mods could do that.

That's right :yup:.
Moderator Action: Thread moved.

For the problem...there's sadly no solution :sad:. Must be a bug in steam, which at random times forces random users to redownload the whole game :dunno:.

I'm wondering if its more specifically a bug with Civ5, as thankfully I've never had Steam try to redownload the whole game, and it usually downloads at least one patch every two days (mostly for TF2 and Source games/engine updates).

I'm wondering if its more specifically a bug with Civ5, as thankfully I've never had Steam try to redownload the whole game, and it usually downloads at least one patch every two days (mostly for TF2 and Source games/engine updates).

Same here.

EDIT: misread your message. To clarify, this only happens to me with Civ V, but not with other games on Steam.

I think it's a bug in Steam. A few months ago, the same thing happened when a new patch for Empire Total War was released, Steam downloaded the whole and entire game again and again for absolutely no reason at all. And Empire Total War is a 15 GB download...

After the last patch (12.2010), steam forced me to download 4,8GB, one day later the same thing.This sucks, but i believe my version of civ5 (german,originaldvd) was corrupt or not complete... thx firaxis for this crap...

Top Bottom