Since no one likes Steam, what type of DRM would you prefer?

Which DRM do you prefer?

• Steam

Votes: 124 55.1%
  • Disk Check

Votes: 83 36.9%
  • SecuROM

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Draconian Ubisoftesque DRM

Votes: 5 2.2%
  • 1 computer, single installation

Votes: 9 4.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Steam is (...) saving you space and time.
With disk sizes of 1 TB and more, space does not to be any issue.

And time? I heavily doubt that the majority of Civ players is sitting at Gigabit lines.
I seem to remember discussions here about dl times for Steam, when suddenly the effectiv dl times changed from allegedly 10 minutes per 5 GB to still allegedly 30 minutes to something unknown, as the reporting person finally admitted not to have been around while downloading.

Steam is just a simple DRM which isn't as annoying as Securom and not as annoying as Ubisoft's. Also, at least this DRM has more uses then just authentication! Like someone said, it stores saved games and allows you to restore the game on your pc at will; thus, saving you space and time.

No, it's more annoying.

I'm gonna quote this guy from another thread:
For me Steam is like the opposite of DRM. DRM means I have to hold onto original media and often books/keys whatever. I lost my original disk to Civ IV and ended up buying it again on Steam when they had a $15 for Civ IV Complete sale (I wanted to try Colonization anyway... ). I know that DRM is *meant* to protect against piracy, and I guess Steam is a form of DRM. But for me Steam means no trips to retailers (and unfortunately, there haven't been software stores around here since well before Steam, so it's either big box stores or like Game Stop which seems to have gone away from PC games anyway), better prices, and access to my games no matter how many times I have to reinstall or switch machines. So yeah... I don't really understand the vitriol for Steam. I would be reluctant to buy a game any other way these days...

Though I have a few issues with steam, I like it. It has brought me to the attention of new games. I've bought games I would maybe have otherwise pirated, and I've bought a few indie games through it supporting games that without Steam or equivalent would maybe not have been possible.

Oh, the EFFORT! I can't believe I have to PUT A DISK IN MY DRIVE. Next thing you know someone will insist l have to get out of this chair if I want to go to the bathroom.

I for one have not seen one "DRM is bad MMMkay" post here. Instead I have seen the same old tired "but come on you can talk to your friends ONLINE" drivel from the people who just insist that everyone loves this "product." The same things that some of us will have no use for no matter how many times we're told we do.

There's the issue of course. Steam does lots of things that some people want. I'm glad it's an option for them. I don't think anybody wants no one to have Steam. Many people just don't want to deal with it.

I really like my audio editing software and my photoenhancement stuff. I have no plans to insist that YOU like it, and as far as I am concerned you shouldn't have to put it on your PC if you don't want it. Of course, the people who made my camera have not (yet) signed a deal with the makers of Civ that puts their programs on your computer whether you want them there or not.
My friend who travels a lot swears by Steam (You can't cart 100 games in luggage)
It's simple as this: Steam is more secure than disc check. Just like people got used to a $10 raise in console prices you all will get used to Steam. You will bicker and complain about it now but you are given the ultimatum to either get used to it or don't buy.

I don't know why people even bash Steam considering all the stuff Apple/ Microsoft put on your computer you don't need... (Yay for those who use Linux)

Steam is just a simple DRM which isn't as annoying as Securom and not as annoying as Ubisoft's. Also, at least this DRM has more uses then just authentication! Like someone said, it stores saved games and allows you to restore the game on your pc at will; thus, saving you space and time.
I've bought computers from Dell and they are BLOATED, OTOH my MacBook came with no bloatware,

(BTW BSD>Linux)

If the steam online authentication and online multiplayer capabilities were all that were being used by CIV V, I wouldn't even be concerned about its use.

civ king wrote:
My friend who travels a lot swears by Steam (You can't cart 100 games in luggage)

Does your friend who travels a lot have time to play 100 games? (not being a smart ass. It just sounds like a cool sitiuation)

In your friend's case, something like steam is a great deal. I play at home and so don't need something like that. If I do go somewhere and want to play CIV using the disc wouldn't be much of a problem.

It's simple as this: Steam is more secure than disc check. Just like people got used to a $10 raise in console prices you all will get used to Steam. You will bicker and complain about it now but you are given the ultimatum to either get used to it or don't buy.

That's what they said about DivX.

Does your friend who travels a lot have time to play 100 games? (not being a smart ass. It just sounds like a cool sitiuation)

In your friend's case, something like steam is a great deal. I play at home and so don't need something like that. If I do go somewhere and want to play CIV using the disc wouldn't be much of a problem.

He flys to China once a month, you get a lot of free time on an ~13 hour flight (that's one way), so he gets ~300 hours of game time

Disk check is sufficent. Didnt Civ 4 have no DRM at all?

Nope Civ IV had some DRM I think disk check. If I didn't have my cd in the computer it would ask for it. I am not shure if it's the last or 2nd last patch that eliminated the need for the cd.

This goes agaisnt everything though. Why would Firaxis allow you to play Civ IV with no DRM check but you would for Civ V? It's a complete 180 flip.

Because DRM is unprofitable?

In the case of Steam DRM- it isn't since there's no charge to the company, just to the consumer (adware and other things)

I do think eventually Steam will come around and make a system that allows the game to run without Steam being run, but it's going to take a real competitor to develop for that to happen.

I don't even absolutely refuse to use Steam. I just don't like the DRM, and won't pay full price for a game with sort of DRM. I'll just wait for Civ V to be in the bargain bin, even if it takes 2-3 years. I can wait. I can be patient.
It helps that there are plenty of viable alternatives.

I don't want steam, however I have gone and tried it out. Being a single player gamer, the only advantage I see is easy access to games, if you have a credit card. Beyond that it is pointless to me. I honestly don't think it's too much to ask for a seperate install of steam, say for Mp, achievements, friends lists, ect. If you did choose not to install steam, it would still connect for a one time check, and then advise you that all it's neat features would be unavailable, until you decided to install it. Could they have done it this way? Sure. But that's not good buisness right?

I loved gamespy, and only for the fact that I had a choice not to install it.

Also Civ IV BTS has no drm, it was patched out.

I like Steam.
No, that's not right. I used to like Steam. Then I moved house and lost all my physical boxed copies of games in the process.
Now I love Steam.
It's not perfect (I'd like to be able to gift away any extra copies I've bought of any game and I'd like to be able to play two diffferent games at once on different machines without jumping through hoops) but it's pretty good. I'd rather buy there than at a store now.

i like steam.
No, that's not right. I used to like steam. Then i moved house and lost all my physical boxed copies of games in the process.
Now i love steam.
It's not perfect (i'd like to be able to gift away any extra copies i've bought of any game and i'd like to be able to play two diffferent games at once on different machines without jumping through hoops) but it's pretty good. I'd rather buy there than at a store now.

Get out of here with your logic and reason! Steam eats babies and kicks puppies!

The best DRM is one that is eventually removed. Whether that be a disk check or Steam I don't care. Civ4's DRM was eventually removed when there was no longer any point to enforcing the DRM. That makes it superior to Steam's DRM. There may be other wonderful things about steam besides DRM, but the fact its DRM is likely to be never removed makes its DRM inferior to what civ4 had - initially a disk check.

To be clear, whenever I install civ4 and bts now, I run the install from the 2 discs then install the patch. I can do it in probably less than 15 minutes and without an internet connection. All I need is the 2 disks and the patch file. There is no cd check, no online activation, no adware running in the background etc. It is the best DRM.

IMO the poll is a bit biased because it does not let me take this position. You need to at least include an option like "I don't care" or "other".

I want to buy my game and own it. I want to be able to play it without being connected and without being harassed with commercials and achievements. If I'd like to play online I could put up with those things, not otherwise. I'm ok with online registration under installation.

I have Steam on my mac and it's a good service, but not for civ5 in my mind. For me there are only negative aspects in Steam regarding this game. Out of principle I shouldn't support this development, but I'll see how I feel later on.

Preferably none, but a disk check would be acceptable.

EDIT: But seriously, isn't this discussion over by now? All arguments from both sides have been presented several times over. All the information needed to make an informed decision is available here on the forums. We simply have to agree to disagree at this point.

Yes I was saving it for something else! :lol:

@Bello: If SSS is the Steam Sunshine Squad, does that mean everyone else (including myself) is an Anti Steam Squad? (I won't be using those initials though!)
Yes you are indeed an ASS. :D

So, could someone list valid anti-Steam arguments? I can't recall any.

Of course, guys who have pirated Civ IV and all the previous Civs and all other games are angry...

All of you, who are posting on these forums, obviously have some access to Internet, so one time activation will be no problem.

I personally absolutely love the option to download the game at any time, even though you have bought it in boxed edition. DVDs really aren't immortal...(my MW2 DVD became unreadable after two installation, I have no idea why). Achievements are also nice (even though they don't make that much sense in a strategy game). In game browser rocks. Ingame chat with friends (who can even be playing entirely different game) rocks ...

Every system will have its benefits and drawbacks. If you can't see any drawbacks yourself, there's not much point asking about what they are because most of the time they are fairly specific to individuals. Just be glad it's going to be good for you.
I have some points against Steam but they are not all things that will concern all people. Take for example that having constant access to internet for life so that I can install the game at literally any time I don't take for granted. Just because I post on a forum now doesn't mean I have always had the ability to do so.
And yes, everything marketing tells you about Steam will obviously spin it in a positive light. It takes the critics, pessimists or "paranoids" to point out the problems. Achievements, ingame chat, friends lists blah blah.

Really, as ChristofferC said, this argument has been done to death. If you're happy with steam, probably best to leave it at that. ;)

Top Bottom