Since no one likes Steam, what type of DRM would you prefer?

Which DRM do you prefer?

• Steam

Votes: 124 55.1%
  • Disk Check

Votes: 83 36.9%
  • SecuROM

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Draconian Ubisoftesque DRM

Votes: 5 2.2%
  • 1 computer, single installation

Votes: 9 4.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
No. You're analogy is wrong. One (or more) dedicated bandits crack your fortified door. Then a googolplex of criminals swarm your house.

So, one (or more) dedicated criminals crack Steam in a single day, and then, humanity happily downloads Civilizations V.

So, one (or more) dedicated criminals crack Steam in a single day, and then, humanity happily downloads Civilizations V.
Quote. I remember some months ago when Napoleon Total War came out (STEAM) it was cracked on release date. Thousands of people downloaded it from torrent sites (shame on them piracy is stealing) and they were actually able to play it before many legit customers. Customers had to wait because servers were overloaded!

Result = legit user is harmed, pirate is awarded. And they keep complaining about piracy! Does it have any sense?

Some years ago I bought on release date DEFCON from Introversion (20 € well spent). No Steam and no-nonsense. You buy your serial code. Then you download the game from whenever you want. Insert your code and play. Multiplayer is on Introversion's servers. Isn't it easier than Steam?

Quote. I remember some months ago when Napoleon Total War came out (STEAM) it was cracked on release date. Thousands of people downloaded it from torrent sites (shame on them piracy is stealing) and they were actually able to play it before many legit customers. Customers had to wait because servers were overloaded!

Result = legit user is harmed, pirate is awarded. And they keep complaining about piracy! Does it have any sense?

Some years ago I bought on release date DEFCON from Introversion (20 € well spent). No Steam and no-nonsense. You buy your serial code. Then you download the game from whenever you want. Insert your code and play. Multiplayer is on Introversion's servers. Isn't it easier than Steam?
If steam would have problems with servers, I'd hate to see what would happen if 2K had to build and run their own server farms for Civ 5.

DRM isn't the problem people have with Steam.

I'm personally a fan of Steam. I am *constantly* losing my physical disks. It is even worse when there are several expansions and I can only locate the latest disk.

Case in point, my wife and I each own a copy of Civ IV and a copy of each of the EPs, yet if we want to play a game together, we have to do a hotseat. This is because we can't find all the disks to make two full games on the two computers.

Steam would have prevented that.
I have my pre-order on Steam already and I have no regrets at all.

I'm personally a fan of Steam. I am *constantly* losing my physical disks. It is even worse when there are several expansions and I can only locate the latest disk.

Case in point, my wife and I each own a copy of Civ IV and a copy of each of the EPs, yet if we want to play a game together, we have to do a hotseat. This is because we can't find all the disks to make two full games on the two computers.

Steam would have prevented that.
I have my pre-order on Steam already and I have no regrets at all.

You do realize that you only need the disc for launching the game, right? Once it's launched you can take it out. To play together on a LAN, simply start up one copy with the disc, transfer the disc to the other computer, and start up the other copy!

By the way, the best way to prevent losing discs is to have a dedicated place for putting your game CDs. An ounce of organization is better than a pound of steam.

Personally I do not think the devs chose Steam for it's DRM. It's like when you go to a grocery store and buy that old DVD of Clash of the Titans for some reason.

You do realize that you only need the disc for launching the game, right? Once it's launched you can take it out. To play together on a LAN, simply start up one copy with the disc, transfer the disc to the other computer, and start up the other copy!

By the way, the best way to prevent losing discs is to have a dedicated place for putting your game CDs. An ounce of organization is better than a pound of steam.
I don't lose my Game CDs and store them all in a box. It might only take two minutes to get a game that's in there *really* deep - but I'd still prefer to be able to play a game without searching for it physically. Call it lazy, whatever you want, but unlike going to the bathroom or eating, physically searching for the copy of a game is not necessary. There is an easy way to avoid it and for most people, it doesn't cost much.

I certainly do have to agree that there should be the possiblity to be able to so, f you wish, but refraining from BUYING the game is a bit too harsh, don't you think? You have concerns about your personal security because of what might be (and probably are) legitimate reasons, which is fine. You might even deem it unfair to pay for content you will never ever use, which is fine. In fact, I somewhat agree with you there because we have a similiar problem over here in Austria concerning taxes for public broadcast, which, as you might have guessed, sub-par but money-comsuming as hell. :mad:
Anyway, for the majority of gamers, steam is not - or at least does not seem as if it were, looking at those votes - an issue. It allows those who like MP to enjoy games in a cheat-free environment with features that most certainly are interesting and make competitive gaming somewhat more fun. While you as a Single Player won't need 99% of those features, achievments, whatever, they won't harm you either, unless - of course - you have general issues with steam.

Once you have passed the barrier of being so anti-steam, it's features are on the pro side, no matter how you look at it.
Also, having to have an internet connection running every few weeks, is something the huge majority of citizens of the western hemisphere can achieve. You can't tell me otherwise.
Besides, if you want to own the game physically, which I also do, what prevents you from buying a physical copy of it at your VG store next door? :D

BTW: Starting the game and handing over the CD to every other player at a LAN is pretty annoying...

what prevents you from buying a physical copy of it at your VG store next door?
The deluxe edition can only be bought via steam. If I were to get civ5, I would want deluxe. Sadly you can only get the map pack if you pre-order. I have never pre-ordered a game and the only game I've bought at release was Beyond the Sword.

Please refrain from spreading lies. Don't speak for other people without evidence.

The vast majority of people posting their protest against Steam (myself included) don't really have a problem with the DRM part of it. Registering the game online once isn't a big deal to most posters. It's the other parts of Steam (such as running all the time, having the Steam store forced upon you, etc.) that people have a problem with.

That's not to say there aren't some people that have a problem with the DRM. Heck, none of us like DRM. But the main protest against Steam on this site and others is not because of DRM. Thus I'm not speaking lies as you suggest.

The vast majority of people posting their protest against Steam (myself included) don't really have a problem with the DRM part of it. Registering the game online once isn't a big deal to most posters. It's the other parts of Steam (such as running all the time, having the Steam store forced upon you, etc.) that people have a problem with.

That's not to say there aren't some people that have a problem with the DRM. Heck, none of us like DRM. But the main protest against Steam on this site and others is not because of DRM. Thus I'm not speaking lies as you suggest.

Steam, right now, is using 60MB of RAM for me. That's roughly 0.2% of my total RAM. That really makes a big difference... :rolleyes:

The Steam store is not forced upon anyone.

Yet it still is installed, thus it is forced upon is. You are given an ice cream, yet you choose not to eat it. But you still have the useless ice cream which was forced upon you.

Steam is ok (except that you probably can't download anything when ciV is released), if we don't count some problems with downloads.

Will it be possible install game thorugh disc? (Though I probably still buy game from Steam)

I certainly do have to agree that there should be the possiblity to be able to so, f you wish, but refraining from BUYING the game is a bit too harsh, don't you think?
Not at all.

If the developer or any other producer of a good which I might like to purchase includes something in this very product, which I don't like, next to publically announcing my disgust with that feature is not to buy the product (in this case: Civ5).

The action of not buying the product is the very means which I do have to let the producer learn about my unwillingness to swallow each and everything they thought to be able to shove down my throat.

Next to this, almost noone here denies that Steam may have features which are appealling to mp gamers.
Almost nobody requests that there shouldn't be any option to play Civ5 via Steam.

Yet, a significant minority (at least) requests to have the option to decide by themselves, whether they want to make use of Steam's alleged "features" or not.

I'm sorry if you feel so strongly about STEAM but as has been mentioned, the "engine" bit of it is already in the game. So no amount of complaining about it will change that now.
I for one don't mind STEAM, but even if i had, i value playing Civ5 more so i would probably buy it anyway.
I'm sure most people that are complaining about it now and saying they won't buy it will in fact buy it eventually.

Nothing is being "shoved down your throat", the choice to buy the product or not is entirely yours. Sometimes, various producers world wide make certain changes to their products and they are not always well received, so when they see sales going down they make adjustments.

But on no other product in the world is there the amount of entitlement that you see in the video game industry.

Ie. One man does not have a say in what goes into a new game. He can complain and be vocal all he wants, and even if there's 1000 or more people just like him, it doesn't matter. If eventually the product does not sell, or sell as well as expected, then it matters.

I for one am pretty sure Civ5 will sell even better than Civ4, but we'll see when we get there.
If it does though, they will consider using STEAM was in fact a good call, and i am in complete agreement.

announce my disgust

shove down my throat

For a commercial product!

I'd hate to see you debate abortion or the existance of god.

Feel free to take the actions open to all consumers.

Vote with your dollars by refusing to buy. And write angry letters to the company denouncing the decision.

I, for one, am not interested in arguing for or against corporate policy in the Sisyphean environs of a major forum -- especially one where rhetorical flourishes are named flaming, and bold stances declared trolling -- and you, it seems, have more interest in complaint than debate.

So take your complaints to the corporation that legitimately deserves them, rather than wasting time in fruitless bickering.

Top Bottom