Anybody Else Worried About Purchasing Civ5 On Release?

Are You Going to Wait to Purchase Civilization 5?

• I already pre-ordered it.

Votes: 49 20.9%
  • I am going to buy it as soon as it comes out.

Votes: 62 26.4%
  • I am going to wait a little after it comes out to gather information.

Votes: 55 23.4%
  • I am going to wait until an expansion or DLC combo package comes out to buy it.

Votes: 24 10.2%
  • I am not going to purchase Civilization 5.

Votes: 16 6.8%
  • I am not yet sure if I will be purchasing Civilization 5.

Votes: 29 12.3%

• Total voters

Alsark

Noble
With all of the news about DLC coming out, such as two extra civilizations being available through D2D and Babylonia being available through the Deluxe Edition, I'm really questioning whether or not purchasing Civ5 upon its release will be a good idea. Even with Civ4 I would know of people who would wait it out until some kind of Complete Edition would come out. Personally I was never patient enough to do that... but with the plethora of DLC upcoming I really have to wonder if that wouldn't be the best bet. So is anybody else worried about needing to buy a whole bunch of DLC if you purchase the initial game, and would instead rather just wait for expansions or some kind of DLC combo package?

And I'm especially not pre-ordering. I feel bad for the people who have since they won't have access to the two extra civilizations through D2D.

Missing an option; I'll probably pre-order it, but not until I get a clear idea of what all these various bonus packages actually are.

The game as a whole looks great, I'll definitely buy it.

Missed a few options- I am going to preorder, just haven't yet. AND I am going to preorder, just waiting for a better deal.

I will preorder, but I am waiting a bit longer to see if any new deals pop out. If not I will be getting the D2D Deluxe Edition, with Babylon and the two Civs and Scenario.

I pre-ordered. I thought 2k Greg said that the Steam SE will be Babylon + the 2 extra Civs. But I could be wrong. I see Greg just posted in Arioch's thread, maybe he'll see this one and chime in.

I pre-ordered. I thought 2k Greg said that the Steam SE will be Babylon + the 2 extra Civs. But I could be wrong. I see Greg just posted in Arioch's thread, maybe he'll see this one and chime in.

I do not believe that's true. Different retailers are offering different bonuses, and the Steam store listing does not make any mention of the 2 extra civs at this time, so I wouldn't expect it.

Ah yes, I found the post I was referring to:
2K Greg said:
Okay guys I have some answers for you:

The D2D version does indeed come with a bonus of 2 civilizations and a scenario. The deluxe edition comes with Babylon as you know, and that's in addition to the 2 other civilizations.

Also, the D2D version does not have any extra DRM in it. There are no install limits, just like every other version of the game.

Unfortunately I do not have any more details about the DLC right now, such as which civilizations it will be.
So I guess I'm not sure if "Deluxe Edition" only means that $100 dealie, or if it includes the Special Edition for $60 (which is the one I pre-ordered).

Edit: Oh, hey Greg. Thanks for the quick reply!

I am going to preorder it either friday or sunday at gamestop. I dont really like pre-ordering online, to risky in my opinion.

But Game Stop in known for giving bonus' to those who pre-order through them so Im pretty sure they will give me something. But I dont see why people are obsessing over the DLC, I dont know about you guys, but I want the game. The other stuff is extra. Its like ice cream, the game is the big bowl of French Vanilla. Super sweet already, the sprinkles (DLC, extra civs, bonus', ect.) arent necissary for me.

I planned on purchasing it on release and played with the thought to preorder it, but now I am pretty sure I'll wait a couple of months.

Gotta have it. Just not sure which it yet. I felt burned after pre-ording DA:O because after I preordered other etailers had beefier preorder packages.

I really, really, really dislike this idiocy of different vendors having differnet versions of the game with different bonus content. It is beyond lame for the consumer. But, of course, nobody cares about the consumer, just making money OFF the consumers. And we suck it up, so the screwing will never end.

So, for now, I'm waiting. There is no point in pre-ordering early, it's not like there's a limit on DLing digitally and the pre-order deals aren't going anywhere yet. So, better to wait and see ALL the permutations and screwed up purchasing options and make a last minute decision, hoping to not LOSE OUT on too much in your new game purchase.

Overall, this is all just very stupid and I've lost a lot of respect for Firaxis for being a part of this fiasco.

Ah yes, I found the post I was referring to:So I guess I'm not sure if "Deluxe Edition" only means that $100 dealie, or if it includes the Special Edition for $60 (which is the one I pre-ordered).

You have the terminology backwards. The boxed special edition is called the "Special Edition" and the versions offered by Steam and D2D that include Babylon are called "Digital Deluxe Editions," which I shortened to "Deluxe Edition" in my post your quoted.

However, the post you quoted did not say that the Steam and D2D versions come with the same stuff, which I think you may have inferred. I was simply confirming that the D2D Deluxe Edition comes with Babylon plus two additional civs.

I was simply confirming that the D2D Deluxe Edition comes with Babylon plus two additional civs.

Whoa!

So the $59.99 Steam Digital Deluxe Edition pre-order contains Babylon, Mesopotamia map pack, the behind the scenes video, and the game soundtrack.

The $49.95 Direct2Drive pre-order contains Babylon, another DLC civ, yet another DLC civ, a "scenario pack," and a copy of Civ III Complete.

Uh... how does Direct2Drive work? I like Steam, but I've never used Direct2Drive before.

You have the terminology backwards. The boxed special edition is called the "Special Edition" and the versions offered by Steam and D2D that include Babylon are called "Digital Deluxe Editions," which I shortened to "Deluxe Edition" in my post your quoted.

However, the post you quoted did not say that the Steam and D2D versions come with the same stuff, which I think you may have inferred. I was simply confirming that the D2D Deluxe Edition comes with Babylon plus two additional civs.
Yeah, that was a misunderstanding on my part - thanks for making that clearer.

So you're saying that D2D is offering 21 total civs for $50, and the Steam DE is 19 civs for $60?

Whoa!

So the $59.99 Steam Digital Deluxe Edition pre-order contains Babylon, Mesopotamia map pack, the behind the scenes video, and the game soundtrack.

The $49.95 Direct2Drive pre-order contains Babylon, another DLC civ, yet another DLC civ, a "scenario pack," and a copy of Civ III Complete.

Uh... how does Direct2Drive work? I like Steam, but I've never used Direct2Drive before.

Yeah, that was a misunderstanding on my part - thanks for making that clearer.

So you're saying that D2D is offering 21 total civs for $50, and the Steam DE is 19 civs for $60?

No, as you can see here D2D sell both the deluxe and standard version.

• Standard from D2D ($49.95) = Standard + DLC bonus**
  • Deluxe from D2D ($59.95) = Deluxe* + DLC Bonus**
*Deluxe = Standard + Babylon + soundtrack + behind the scenes video
*DLC Bonus = 2 Civs + scenario

• Standard from D2D ($49.95) = Standard + DLC bonus**
  • Deluxe from D2D ($59.95) = Deluxe* + DLC Bonus**
*Deluxe = Standard + Babylon + soundtrack + behind the scenes video
*DLC Bonus = 2 Civs + scenario
Ahh so those 2 extra civs are a "Thanks for buying from D2D" thing.

Ahh so those 2 extra civs are a "Thanks for buying from D2D" thing.

I wouldn't surprise me if D2D required some 'persuasion' to sell a Steamworks game, the free DLC may be part of some palm-greasing by 2K that is getting passed on to the consumer.

I rushed in and bought the Collectors edtion of Civ III and I was so disapointed. I bought Civ IV right away and I surpased the specs mentioned and had trouble running Civ IV.

I do plan on buying Civ V, but I am going to wait. The reason I am going to wait, is to see if people have problems running Civ V on their computer. I will see if people have trouble installing Civ V, and if they can play the game at max settings.

What ever Firaxis gives for the specs to play Civ V is going to be a lie, so I will wait and see what the real specs are going to be when people actually play it.

(...)

That will be very simple, I think. At least simpler than this whole DLC and retailer exclusivity mess. Since it is a Steamworks game, you'll certainly have nothing more than a key to be entered in Steam to download the game. Maybe you'll also get a few other keys for the various DLC included. But I don't really expect Direct2 Drive to download the game. I might be wrong, obviously, but given how every single Steamworks game is working...

So, buying the deluxe edition through Steam would give me fewer Civs than buying the standard edition through D2D?
<confused>

Greg, you guys at 2K need to get working on clarifying this stuff pronto.

Otherwise everyone is going to stop placing orders.

"Special Edition"
"Digital Deluxe Edition"
and different "standard" editions depending on the retailer?
Seriously??

This is an epic marketing failure.

Missing an option; I'll probably pre-order it, but not until I get a clear idea of what all these various bonus packages actually are.

The game as a whole looks great, I'll definitely buy it.

ditto, im definetley buying, and definetly preordering but i probably won't plaec my order until the beginning of september.

Top Bottom