Prerelease Civ5 Demo Confirmed

Trust me, outside of this very small and niche community, Steam is very popular.

Being popular has nothing to do with being good or right. I don't think anyone ever said steam was unpopular or should not be included. Many simply don't want to be forced to use it. time will tell if it works out. just know its more a liberty issue with some. disagree if you like but that's what it boils down to imo.

Furthermore, popularity doesn't equate with the number of Steam users or members there are. All those users may be 'forced on'. There's no way to gauge the satisfaction rate without someone doing a poll (Valve).

But, it's nice to see a Demo coming!

As a long time voluntary member of the Steam community, I have to wonder if you're joking or seriously believe Steam is some kind of cult where no one has contact with the outside world and everyone is desperately longing to shout how they're being forced into enjoying the system.

I also meant 'popularity' as in it is loudly talked about in gaming circles with praise.

This is like trying to force a child to enjoy ice cream for the first time. Just try it. Most kids like it. Damn.

I hope they make people use Steam to show its not all that bad
Given that Steam is an option, not the avenue, of playing CivV upon release, I expect that that the time restriction will indeed be based on [X] turns just like CivIV's. Although not exclusively, I anticipate it will nonetheless be available for authorized download from Steam.

I hereby throw down the gauntlet to find a way to win the game in 100 normal-speed turns. (Note, since they may disable winning in the demo, the challenge will still be valid when the full game comes out.) I'm pretty sure there have been wins that quick in Civ4, though not a lot.
duel size quechua rush :)

Given that Steam is an option, not the avenue, of playing CivV upon release, I expect that that the time restriction will indeed be based on [X] turns just like CivIV's. Although not exclusively, I anticipate it will nonetheless be available for authorized download from Steam.
I think you're mistaken Dan. Steam *is* the avenue for playing Civ 5 on release. The game has the Steamworks API built into it, there is no non-steam version (You can buy it retail, but it will still run via steam).

Being popular has nothing to do with being good or right. I don't think anyone ever said steam was unpopular or should not be included. Many simply don't want to be forced to use it. time will tell if it works out. just know its more a liberty issue with some. disagree if you like but that's what it boils down to imo.

No, it boils down to a ridiculous clique of drama queens and lunatics that haunt this forum. Nothing more.

If you're worried about your "rights" you may want to focus on OnLive, the actual threat to user freedom.

No, it boils down to a ridiculous clique of drama queens and lunatics that haunt this forum. Nothing more.

If you're worried about your "rights" you may want to focus on OnLive, the actual threat to user freedom.

OnLive is not only small time, they're also the laughing stock of the internet. They do not pose a threat to anyone except their own employees employment.

Steam, on the other hand, is bad news. What we've got is a massive behemoth of a content delivery system that has some 25 million subscribers in DRM-forged chains.

Should Valve suddenly file for chapter 11 and shut down their servers, bam, all your games (that can be downloaded even if you lose your hard drive contents) are gone. This is not likely, however, and that might just be a bad thing.

Should Valve suddenly decide to start charging money for even just eh use of Steam, all your games, bam, are still there! But now you have to pay ransom to get to them!

History has shown us again and again that when corporations reach the point of monopoly, they turn evil. Powerful and evil. Why would Valve be different? They're in this game for the money, despite what "Gabe Newell and his friendly friends" would have you think.

The only easy way out here is a total boycott. As for me, I'm ready to don my loincloth and start dumping Steam into Boston Bay.

OnLive is not only small time, they're also the laughing stock of the internet. They do not pose a threat to anyone except their own employees employment.

Steam, on the other hand, is bad news. What we've got is a massive behemoth of a content delivery system that has some 25 million subscribers in DRM-forged chains.

Should Valve suddenly file for chapter 11 and shut down their servers, bam, all your games (that can be downloaded even if you lose your hard drive contents) are gone. This is not likely, however, and that might just be a bad thing.

Should Valve suddenly decide to start charging money for even just eh use of Steam, all your games, bam, are still there! But now you have to pay ransom to get to them!

History has shown us again and again that when corporations reach the point of monopoly, they turn evil. Powerful and evil. Why would Valve be different? They're in this game for the money, despite what "Gabe Newell and his friendly friends" would have you think.

The only easy way out here is a total boycott. As for me, I'm ready to don my loincloth and start dumping Steam into Boston Bay.

How silly lol. People like you are the reason Piracy is so rampant. Rather than at least try to use an alternative to which in reality you lose little you'd rather act rash and lose a lot. The bump up in price all comes from piracy and the cost of the physical format. Its about time things became digital and people like you slow down the process. If you want a hard copy, services like steam allow you to back it up onto your hard drive and either you can transport your hard drive or create a dvd.

And what makes corporations greedy is lack of competition. Valve is currently leading in digital sales but is not the only digital seller, much less the only one which has access to the developers as the many different deluxe editions of Civ 5 shows. Plus with companies like OnLive (which is flawed but a lovely concept) they innovate in where an internet connection matters more than your hardware.

Think of it! Rather than updating everything down to your motherboard for a new Civilization all you need to do is make sure your bill is paid. Of course i recognize the savings for a new computer may last longer but considering OnLive has different play-passes based on the game (I mean who really plays something like Assassins Creed after beating it... I never understood why especially if you did everything that could be done) you maybe saving money for things more needed than a new system. A sort of trade in a way.

Either way I'd rather welcome Steam than Securom or some other company. At least I can complain to a known entity rather than Microsoft (through their DRM which I know they'll give me the run around about) or Securom which thankfully a lot of companies are straying from.

How silly lol. People like you are the reason Piracy is so rampant. Rather than at least try to use an alternative to which in reality you lose little you'd rather act rash and lose a lot. The bump up in price all comes from piracy and the cost of the physical format. Its about time things became digital and people like you slow down the process. If you want a hard copy, services like steam allow you to back it up onto your hard drive and either you can transport your hard drive or create a dvd.

And what makes corporations greedy is lack of competition. Valve is currently leading in digital sales but is not the only digital seller, much less the only one which has access to the developers as the many different deluxe editions of Civ 5 shows. Plus with companies like OnLive (which is flawed but a lovely concept) they innovate in where an internet connection matters more than your hardware.

Think of it! Rather than updating everything down to your motherboard for a new Civilization all you need to do is make sure your bill is paid. Of course i recognize the savings for a new computer may last longer but considering OnLive has different play-passes based on the game (I mean who really plays something like Assassins Creed after beating it... I never understood why especially if you did everything that could be done) you maybe saving money for things more needed than a new system. A sort of trade in a way.

Either way I'd rather welcome Steam than Securom or some other company. At least I can complain to a known entity rather than Microsoft (through their DRM which I know they'll give me the run around about) or Securom which thankfully a lot of companies are straying from.

I think this is a bit shortsighted. The poster wasn't saying steam was evil "now" rather than steam could easily turn into something evil. Which, in reality, it can.

Take Hulu for example. The website started as awesome, then they added ads you could skip, then they changed it to occasional unskippable ads, then frequent unskippable ads, and now they're transitioning into a pay model. Lame.

Are you saying this same sort of thing can not or will not happen to steam?

Once the company has the user base, it has the leverage to do these things. Furthermore, once you have bought into steam, you're bought in for life. If you ever want to play a game that uses steam, you must have steam. They know this, and its genius on their end. For instance...

Lets say a couple years down the line, steam starts charging for access. You might come back and say "hey, well there are other companies I can choose to use, that's the free market baby!" But unfortunately that's not the case here, because you've already spent you're money on games that use steam, so you can't just up and leave without completely losing your investments. The other poster was right, they can literally hold your games for ransom at that point. What are you going to do about it at that point? There is nothing you can do except lose it all.

Or, you could demand that games released now not require such a feudalistic dynamic between gamers and suppliers.

I think this is a bit shortsighted. The poster wasn't saying steam was evil "now" rather than steam could easily turn into something evil. Which, in reality, it can.

Take Hulu for example. The website started as awesome, then they added ads you could skip, then they changed it to occasional unskippable ads, then frequent unskippable ads, and now they're transitioning into a pay model. Lame.

Are you saying this same sort of thing can not or will not happen to steam?

Once the company has the user base, it has the leverage to do these things. Furthermore, once you have bought into steam, you're bought in for life. If you ever want to play a game that uses steam, you must have steam. They know this, and its genius on their end. For instance...

Lets say a couple years down the line, steam starts charging for access. You might come back and say "hey, well there are other companies I can choose to use, that's the free market baby!" But unfortunately that's not the case here, because you've already spent you're money on games that use steam, so you can't just up and leave without completely losing your investments. The other poster was right, they can literally hold your games for ransom at that point. What are you going to do about it at that point? There is nothing you can do except lose it all.

Or, you could demand that games released now not require such a feudalistic dynamic between gamers and suppliers.

The whole idea though that Steam is going to hold your games ransom though is ridiculous. If anything it will probably end up having a million and one ads and you'll be paying not to be barraged by them. Like how IGN and sites like that do it or it will be like Playstation+ where you'll get exclusives.

I hereby throw down the gauntlet to find a way to win the game in 100 normal-speed turns. (Note, since they may disable winning in the demo, the challenge will still be valid when the full game comes out.) I'm pretty sure there have been wins that quick in Civ4, though not a lot.

It was actually really easy to beat the civ 4 demo, especially if you used settler mode. Just choose Alexander who starts with horses and spam horse archers.

Some people are crazy enough to not like to be told they must to this or else. Count me on that list. Steam good or bad, I have no knowledge. I do know I must use them them or not play Civ 5.

Giving how little I got out of civ4, not playing is not a big deal. I am just cantererous enough to get my dander up, when I have to pay and then they tell me what I can do. That barely works for me, when I am being paid and not at all, if I am coughing up the money.

hm...I'm not at all happy about being forced to use Steam. I prefer having disc copies of my games (my discs are always in perfect condition, the ones I have from 15 years ago still work perfectly, so I'm not at all worried about disc damage), in case something goes wrong with the digital source.

That said, the choice of either using Steam or not playing Civ5 is laughable to me...of course I'll play Civ5...I'll buy myself a disc copy and put up with having Steam on my computer for that game...I just won't buy a digital copy, that's how I minimize the impact on myself- having a disc in addition to the digital version provided by Steam upon activation.

edit: just realized I didn't address the point of this thread. HURRY UP AND GIVE US THE DEMO, FIRAXIS!! I CAN'T WAIT 3 WEEKS FOR CIV 5!

HURRY UP AND GIVE US THE DEMO, FIRAXIS!! I CAN'T WAIT 3 WEEKS FOR CIV 5!

Why cant they realize this!? Seriously, this would satisfy alot of questions and it would hold us off for awhile.

No it wouldn't. It would just trigger thousands more eager detailed questions, with claims that Firaxix and 2K don't care about the customers because the questions weren't answered immediately. We, as a community, are insatiable.

The games are still owned by the companies that develop them, and by the users that paid hard cash for them. Even if steam were to go "evil" (it won't, if they want to stay in business) game developers could simply patch their games out of the steam system. This is the reason why I don't mind steam, but would prefer that games not be wholly integrated into the system. The bottom line is that piracy has become a serious problem with PC games, and steam is a good way to keep it in check.

Top Bottom