Civ5 / Laptop specs....

RowdyRoost

Chieftain
I realize laptops aren't ideal for games... but I'm curious if this one will run on mine. I was a huge Civ3 fan (personally didn't like Civ4). Would be interested in hearing if Civ5 is more like Civ 3 or Civ4 in terms of gameplay (or totally different). That's probably a question for a different forum.

Anyway... on to the real question for this forum. Will Civ5 run smoothly on my laptop? Here's what I've got...

Sony VAIO
4GB RAM
DDR3
i3 Processor
2.4 GHz
Intel HD graphics (yes, I know everybody and their mother doesn't like intel graphics)

Just curious. It's either try Civ5 or figure out a way to use Civ3 with Windows 7 (which I've heard can be tricky). I'm still addicted to Civ3 to this day.

Thanks!

Civ5 should run okayish on that laptop.
And its rather "totally different, but still Civ" ;) Extremely polished on the surface, but under the hood there are still a LOT of gremlins, and the "big picture" gamedesign is pretty controversial here at CFC :D

Appreciate the response. I may give Civ3 gold a try using some of the methods in another forum before I commit to spending the big bucks on Civ5 (or at least wait for the price to drop).

You ought to be okay. You may have to set the graphics to low, but I'm sure you'll agree that graphics are far less important than gameplay in Civ.

Since you've still got the Civ3 Gold discs, it can't hurt to try them on Windows 7. Some people (myself included) did run into problems on Vista/7, but for other people (including my sister), Civ3 runs flawlessly on Vista/7. There's a good chance you'll fall in the "no problems" camp.

If Civ3 Gold does work, you should consider picking up the Conquests expansion, likely by way of the Complete edition ($5 from digital download services, fairly cheap in the box too - the standalone expansion is more expensive as it's not readily available). It really does add many new concepts, much more than Play the World (included in Gold) did over the initial version, and nearly all of the user-provided mods require Conquests (and for good reason - they take full advantage of its added capabilities). Civ3 scenarios are available here and here. $10 for Complete would be well worth it for anyone addicted to Civ3 who doesn't have Conquests for the ability to play the user-provided scenarios alone, as long as Civ3 does cooperate with your computer.

Sadly, I've lost my Civ3 CD. I loaded it on my old laptop with Vista and at some point lost the CD. I was one of the guy's that had quite a time getting Civ3 to work on Vista but managed to get it working. Guess that's why I'm concerned about Windows 7. Plus, it's a brand new laptop and I don't want anything screwed up.

Does it make a difference if I buy the actual Civ3 Complete CD at a store or purchase the download through Steam? Never done Steam. But, it's cheap... I think $5.

Intel HD graphics (aka Core i3 graphics) are mentioned officially as minimum for integrated graphics, so it definitely will run Civ5. With low details of course, but it will run. Although i think it mentions in readme that only DX9 is supported with that graphics.

Leveraging the topic, do you think it will run with the graphics set on high?
Specs:
Intel Dual Core T4300, 2.1ghz
ATI Radeon HD 4650 (512MB GDDR3)
4MB Ram DDR2
HD 5400 RPM Western D.

Thanks Guys.

Probably not satisfactorily, but medium looks not much different, and it should be able to handle that easily. Some settings might work on high without a noticable performance impact. But you should better stay away from AA ;)
Overall the CPU will be probably more limiting than the video card, as the Civ5 graphics are pretty CPU-intensive, and yours is right at the "minimum" point ;)

Probably not satisfactorily, but medium looks not much different, and it should be able to handle that easily. Some settings might work on high without a noticable performance impact. But you should better stay away from AA ;)
Overall the CPU will be probably more limiting than the video card, as the Civ5 graphics are pretty CPU-intensive, and yours is right at the "minimum" point ;)

Thanks a lot man, so, do u think even in Medium it will not run satisfactorily at some points in the game?
(I am worried cuz my internet sucks and I am big fan of the series, so I will directly buy if it runs at medium settings)
Thanks again...

It SHOULD run fine at medium setting, unless you get hit by a bug. Make sure you have a clean windows and are running the latest drivers. Late game you WILL get slow turns on the larger maps, but that happens even on the fastest rigs :D

Top Bottom