More Civ, Less Fanatic

Jharii

King
Seriously, as an overall whole, people really need to chill out a bit here. Everyone wants a better Civ5 game.

Some people have differing and often completely opposite opinions on the current stage of the game. Great, I get that. But the flaming, baiting, and trolling has become excessive and really needs to stop. Every single one of us has the ability to demand more while displaying tact and patience with each other.

And believe me, I've got caught up in it a few times myself. For that, I apologize.

Let's try to tone down the personal attacks and emotional responses and practice some civility and maturity.

I agree with the OP, let's talk about the game.

No more "Civ 5 ended the world as we know it" threads. We got your point, you prefer Civ 4. It's fine for us.

Seriously, as an overall whole, people really need to chill out a bit here. Everyone wants a better Civ5 game.

Some people have differing and often completely opposite opinions on the current stage of the game. Great, I get that. But the flaming, baiting, and trolling has become excessive and really needs to stop. Every single one of us has the ability to demand more while displaying tact and patience with each other.

And believe me, I've got caught up in it a few times myself. For that, I apologize.

Let's try to tone down the personal attacks and emotional responses and practice some civility and maturity.

Agree.
We all want to make it a better game. Let Firaxis know this by posting and someday it will be better. Trust me, you will never get your $50 back anyways... your only hope is that they will fix Civ5.

Don't mind those who already claim that the game is perfect. Don't feed the troll.

It's not perfect by any mean, but a lot better than vanilla Civ 4.

Firaxis doesn't care about kids crying on the forum because they know they account for 1% of their customers. The majority is happy and will never write on this boards anyway.

Civ sells millions and the biggest poll here account for 300 people, which means it's nothing at all compared to sales.

Patch will be there anyway, no need to make thousands of rant threads. Just trust Firaxis, they always helped.

Overblown rant threads are just annoying and people don't read them anyway, especially the devs.

Constructive feedback is appreciated though, but it's really rare on this board.

In my opinion, AI should be improved mostly on 3 points :
- better city defense
- naval invasions
- city optimizations (using maritime city states for example)

THAT is constructive criticism.

"Civ 5 is the worst thing happening to mankind" is useless though. Nobody reads that, especially not Firaxis, since you immediately understand the guy who wrote it is a complete idiot and you'll learn nothing useful.

@klokwerk : There are plenty of threads with constructive criticism, you should forums read more. Developpers are fully aware of what people think about the game, or they should because really there's no lack of feedback. By the way your definition of Constructive Feedback is strange, you don't even say why you think they should do this and not something else.

"Civ 5 is the worst thing happening to mankind" is useless though. Nobody reads that, especially not Firaxis, since you immediately understand the guy who wrote it is a complete idiot and you'll learn nothing useful.

And another perfect example. This type of commentary is unnecessary.

I agree with the OP. Critics must be constructive, problems need to be addressed without any rant, and we need to discuss the features of the game with more objective view. Not bashing each others, and that's for sure valid for both the sides at war on this board... So i call a peace treaty between warring users, we have plentry of space for critics, ideas, and some others usefull things, but we need to speak polite and with mutual respect...

So maybe one day i could joke again with others without irritating them..:lol:

LOL. The thread just went the complete opposite of the OP's intent.

I am for useful critique, not name calling. That being said:

Firaxis doesn't care about kids crying on the forum because they know they account for 1% of their customers. The majority is happy and will never write on this boards anyway.

I think this line motivated my response. You seem to be of the mindset that 'Complainers are always wrong'. A lot of these topics are from regular people who are dissatisfied with the game. Also, saying that a company doesn't care about the people who are dissatisfied with their product is a bit jarring. I like to think Firaxis is better than that.

Civ sells millions and the biggest poll here account for 300 people, which means it's nothing at all compared to sales.

Sales = Quality?

Overblown rant threads are just annoying and people don't read them anyway, especially the devs.

So.. do you have any proof to back this claim? Or is this something you're just saying?

Constructive feedback is appreciated though, but it's really rare on this board.

You seem to disqualify any feedback that doesn't praise this game and all its glory. In that case, yes, it would be rare.

- better city defense
- naval invasions

That's not really criticism... those are just suggestions.

I think you missed the 'less fanatic' part of the topic. You provide no evidence for anything you say, and are more or less talking down to people unsatisfied with the game. If you really want to provide a useful critique, take a step back and really analyze the game.

THIS a fan forum, people congregate here to discuss what is one of their favourite past-times.

C5 felt like a dagger in the back of a majority of the old guard so it is perfectly natural that they vent their frustration in THIS forum, where people are more likely to be sympathetic knowing what the hell is being discussed.

Perhaps this little yarn can help you understand what/why this forum acts like it does:
Imagine the annual meeting of the Formula 1 team-managers. They are chewing the fat and discussing just how bloody cool their lives are, boyhood fantasy become real.
In comes the representative for the F1 organization with next years rule-set: Henceforth no engines may exceed 1L in volume, have more than 100BHP and must run on vegetable oil.

How much are you willing to bet the outcry would be the exact same as what we have experienced with the similar downgrade from "mature" to "all ages".

So exactly how does someone being one of the "old guard" and a fan of Civ5 justify getting insulted for liking the game? Or a fan of Civ5 justified in flaming a critic?

It doesn't.

Yes, we are all fans of Civ here. So we have something in common. That should be motivation enough to keep it civil, let alone the simple fact that we're all human beings.

You are more than welcome to make excuses for bad behavior. But there really is no excuse. Particularly on a forum about a game.

THIS a fan forum, people congregate here to discuss what is one of their favourite past-times.

C5 felt like a dagger in the back of a majority of the old guard so it is perfectly natural that they vent their frustration in THIS forum, where people are more likely to be sympathetic knowing what the hell is being discussed.

Perhaps this little yarn can help you understand what/why this forum acts like it does:
Imagine the annual meeting of the Formula 1 team-managers. They are chewing the fat and discussing just how bloody cool their lives are, boyhood fantasy become real.
In comes the representative for the F1 organization with next years rule-set: Henceforth no engines may exceed 1L in volume, have more than 100BHP and must run on vegetable oil.

How much are you willing to bet the outcry would be the exact same as what we have experienced with the similar downgrade from "mature" to "all ages".

I recommend the Strategy and Tips forum here. Much better place to be, people actually talk about the game there. I remember I also retreated to that forum when Civ IV was released because of the darn whinning threads I got tired of reading. Oh and with the more civ, less fanatics approach, you will find that you will enjoy the game much more that way. Then come back here when people calm down and start claiming Civ V is the holy grail of the series, just as what happened with Civ IV, a matter of time.

It's not perfect by any mean, but a lot better than vanilla Civ 4.

That's your opinion.

Also your opinion. "Majority" is debatable. If no one posts on the forum, how do you really know what the majority thinks? The game sold well and it was well reviewed by several gaming sites. But a large portion of those sales were probably preorders and impulse buying. Reviewers don't represent a majority at all, and most are not core Civ fans to begin with.

So, we should just lie down and accept whatever schlock they give us? Just because something sells well does not mean it's a quality product.

Patch will be there anyway, no need to make thousands of rant threads. Just trust Firaxis, they always helped.

Your faith in corporations is disturbing. Number one rule in capitalism, profit trumps all. If doing the right thing hurts the bottom line, any company will be tempted to do the wrong thing. Besides, if people don't complain, how will Firaxis know what to patch?

If you aren't reading them, why do they bother you? If no one is reading them, why are you posting in them?

- better city defense
- naval invasions

No one is saying that Civ V is the worst thing to happen to mankind. Just because you disagree with someone's criticism does not mean that it is useless or not constructive...Sheesh

For those of us who support Civ5's many changes and or generlaly give it the benefit, don't misrepresent our position as being that 'Civ5' is perfect. It's often the extreme flamebaiting and trolling that the forum was subjected to that tended to limit what we discuss and in radicalize discussions into polar extremes.

Many of us contribute actively in the bugs & ideas forums.

As for the OP not being a mod, and therefore not being his job, considering how 'moderator actions' are usually ignored in flame bait threads, until thread is locked or an admin steps in to rant at the crowd, yes, it is absoutely our job to watch out for the level of discourse.

i don't care at all of hooligans, but i love Naples in Serie A, i'm a moderate supporter.

I make critics of the team and the management, but don't attack other team supporters... it's quite stupid, because we are speaking of a sport....

The same for Civ...it's a game... i love the franchise, i think it need to improve trough time and i preordered the game with faith in Firaxis... I'm disapponted, but i think the game can be better, if not the dev, maybe the modders... And i don't care of Civ IV, i'm thinking of Civ V game mechanics when i speak... As en example i don't like the sliders at all as they are in Civ IV... too few to manage an empire to be honest (others game have a lot of sliders for more different aspects, three sliders are so stupid...).. Critics are made to push the game on the next level, now the game is not better or worse than civ, its only different.... Different problems, differente good features, different bad features...

That's all....

Top Bottom