Civ 5 without text files?

hausofclinton

Chieftain
Heyy everyone!

I am definitely new here so bear with me. I recently purchased Civ 5 for Mac and after installing it and running it and watching the introduction video I was surprised to see that there was no text showing up on any of the menus. I went ahead and uninstalled the game and reinstalled it but that didn't fix the problem. I also googled the problem and didn't find anything about having no text, only garbled text. I went into the game files and found there were no text items in the text file.. could this be the problem and my game is faulty?

Hope someone has an answer to my problem..

Thank you,
Clinton

Heyy everyone!

I am definitely new here so bear with me. I recently purchased Civ 5 for Mac and after installing it and running it and watching the introduction video I was surprised to see that there was no text showing up on any of the menus. I went ahead and uninstalled the game and reinstalled it but that didn't fix the problem. I also googled the problem and didn't find anything about having no text, only garbled text. I went into the game files and found there were no text items in the text file.. could this be the problem and my game is faulty?

Hope someone has an answer to my problem..

Thank you,
Clinton

I am having the exact same problem and am not sure where to go for help. I have a fresh install of leopard with all the updates (I got it just to play civ 5). I tried uninstalling and re-downloading both steam and civ 5.

I was also surprised to find no "text" folder among the support files. Is there supposed to be one? The game seems to work fine except there is no text - no text anywhere.

I'm on a black 2.4 GHz Macbook, 2 GB ram. My graphics card is intel gma x3100 which I understand is weak for this game but I can see people playing the game with this card on Youtube, so I know that is not the problem. Thanks in advance.

Ouch, that's the very bottom limit.
The graphics drivers are updated?

I believe my OS should have shipped with updates for the graphics card based on what I garnered from wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_GMA#GMA_X3100. All my software is updated, so yes I have the latest drivers availiable

I only want to play the game with like 5 fps before i decide if it's worth investing any more in.

Okay, i have no idea about the driver situation for Mac, but you should definitely look up if there's a newer one.

Another thing: Do you get the popup for DX9 or DX10/11?
Because all the weak intel cards supprisingly only run with the DX10/11 option :)confused:), and i guess you don't get that on a Mac.

Okay, i have no idea about the driver situation for Mac, but you should definitely look up if there's a newer one.

Another thing: Do you get the popup for DX9 or DX10/11?
Because all the weak intel cards supprisingly only run with the DX10/11 option :)confused:), and i guess you don't get that on a Mac.

Thanks for your reply, The_J. I would love to try out DX10/11 but where am I supposed to get that popup. It's pretty difficult to navigate the UI with no text :/ Perhaps there is a game file I could modify instead of using the UI. Any Ideas?

Normally the popup should directly come after clicking on the desktop icon.
But DirectX is a Microsoft thing, and the newest parts are probably not supported by the 3D framework which is used on Macs (OpenGL, i guess).
:think: i think it's not possible to play with that graphics card with a Mac version, but with a windows version it is :sad:.
Can't be sure about this, but it currently looks like that :/.

To know hausofclintons graphics card would be important here.

I've just got the same thing on my new Macbook pro. Any solutions for this yet?

I have Civ on PC as well thanks to steam! :D so i have more to compare it with. It seems that it's not just text that is missing. There are no background images or infact any images except for the menu backgrounds and button highlights.

Yeah it seems the macbooks just can't handle the graphics so I suggest taking advantage of Steam and playing on your PC like I now do.

Top Bottom