Most Anticipated New Civilization

Which civilization do you anticipate the most in the new expansion?

• Netherlands

Votes: 91 24.8%
  • Mayans

Votes: 60 16.3%
  • Byzantines

Votes: 72 19.6%
  • Carthaginians

Votes: 69 18.8%
  • Celts

Votes: 75 20.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
As i am dutch,My choice seemed pretty clear.....until i remembered that the leaderhead speaks the language,and all my civ 4 nightmares came back.I don't know for the other civs but that was absolutely HORRIBLE.

I find knowing the language can get a bit irritating (both Washington and especially Elizabeth has been annoying at times). That being said, unlike Civ4, the best way to avoid hearing the specific language being spoken is to play as that Civ. If you play as the Dutch, you won't have to hear anyone speaking Dutch.

I find knowing the language can get a bit irritating (both Washington and especially Elizabeth has been annoying at times). That being said, unlike Civ4, the best way to avoid hearing the specific language being spoken is to play as that Civ. If you play as the Dutch, you won't have to hear anyone speaking Dutch.

Or simply turn the sound off in diplo screens :D I'm lucky that my computer has a hotkey for this.
I agree with you about leader voices - Wu Zetian drives me nuts every time with her kinda whiny, too girly voice and a Chinese that doesn't quite fit an empress.

Haven't paid attention to the Dutch in Civ IV even though I've played as them, gotta do it in Civ V this time. :)

If I hear enough of Civs I just skip them real quickly, ignore them xD.

I also don't understand why people get so annoyed? Washington and Elizabeth both barely say anything at all, their text is longer than their opening lines "We're pleased to meet you".

If I hear enough of Civs I just skip them real quickly, ignore them xD.

I also don't understand why people get so annoyed? Washington and Elizabeth both barely say anything at all, their text is longer than their opening lines "We're pleased to meet you".

Washington is alright in my books, Elizabeth, well, no comments from me.

The most annoying part for me (apart from Wu) is that not every leader has several lines meaning the same thing, so e.g. if you are constantly tweaking the deal to get the most amount of gold for a resource and clicking "What would make this deal work?", some leaders would repeat the same line over and over again... and that's far worse than Elizabeth! :lol:

Celts for now, as it has the most info available, but I am optimistic about Carthage and the Mayans as well, and I'm always a sucker for Byzantines. I was rather meh about the Dutch in IV, but I may like their current iteration better.

Or simply turn the sound off in diplo screens :D I'm lucky that my computer has a hotkey for this.
I agree with you about leader voices - Wu Zetian drives me nuts every time with her kinda whiny, too girly voice and a Chinese that doesn't quite fit an empress.

Haven't paid attention to the Dutch in Civ IV even though I've played as them, gotta do it in Civ V this time. :)

How does her voice not fit an empress?

And if you think it doesn't, why is that bad? She was a commoner, after all.

Also I think they did an excellent job with her voice and animation mannerisms. Reminds me of my relatives in Taiwan.

Justinian was a terrible Emperor. OK, that's not entirely fair, but his wars to retake Rome were really bad for the Empire (and for Italy, fwiw).

Under Justinian the Byzantines reached their greatest height, ever. Basil II is the only other guy that would make any sense. Theodora is like the ancient Eva Peron, a woman who accomplished a lot given her opportunities but not nearly as important on the world stage as she is an amazing individual success story.

I think Justinian is really likely to be included, as he is on of the most easily recognizable Byzantine emperors, and his association with the contruction of Hagia Sophia is like a beacon for those who aren't familiar with history enough to think about picking Basil II (who would be a badass leader in-game) or anyone else. However, I think someone from the House of Komnenos could be also a nice choice, preferably Alexios I, as he is also quite recognizable, though maybe less than earlier Emperors.

I recognize Alexios Komnenos, but I also spent a decent amount of time studying 11th Century Europe. An extremely superficial complaint, but there might be something awkward having two Greek-speaking people whose name can be shortened to Alex.

Basil II or Justinian for the Byzantines would make the most sense. If it was Justinian, he'd probably be inside the Hagia Sophia, or overlooking the coast from his palace, and Basil II I suspect will be mounted (although it's tiresome seeing mounted leaders in the leader screens, admittedly).

Theodora did little. Wu Zetian at least was active in politics and very, very manipulative, in addition to being very interested in fostering religion. If they include Theodora, it'll ONLY be to increase female leader representation. Which is silly.

I'd prefer the Byzantines to be in an elaborate throne room or some other architecturally cool place that shows off their art style. That's one reason I hesitate about Basil. He's just too militaristic.

It's Not that i don't like the language because i know it,It is just that civ 4 dutch was the WORST dutch i have ever heard.
Voted Celts anyway for my scottish heritage.

I'd prefer the Byzantines to be in an elaborate throne room or some other architecturally cool place that shows off their art style. That's one reason I hesitate about Basil. He's just too militaristic.

If that's the case, I doubt they're gonna pick him. The Byzantium are obviously religious oriented in Civ 5 so I'm predicting a religious leader.

^ Then again, France is culture oriented and they picked Napoleon

It's Not that i don't like the language because i know it,It is just that civ 4 dutch was the WORST dutch i have ever heard.
Voted Celts anyway for my scottish heritage.

My point being that you are far more forgiving of bad voice acting when you don't understand the language.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom