Maya

Genji: I completely agree. 12 free GP is 12. Now, if it's random, it's randomly awesome. If it's cyclic, it might be strong but not overpowering.

Unfortunately, it does seem tied to the baktun, since the only one we know about occurred on a turn coinciding with a new baktun.

Also, their ability has "Long Count" in the name. If it doesn't have something to do with the long count cycle, it would make no sense.

Also, their ability has "Long Count" in the name. If it doesn't have something to do with the long count cycle, it would make no sense.

True, but a long count is like 5,100 something years. I don't think there needs to be a specific bonus to the end of the long count. We already have the 2012 achievment, which takes care of that.

I don't think you'd get to choose, or else I'd choose great people. My thought is its different each time. But yes, otherwise, it'll be Baktun, not age.

that will be per age, o for some number of turns, well, probably designers doesn't know what is a baktún, and it's more smart do it for ages, and a baktún is much time for a UA

They specifically use the Maya calendar and when it cycles over, you get a "Long Count Bonus." Look at the video involving the Maya. It's tied to a point in time, not tech advancement and it corresponds with the appropriate years. So you might want to give them more credit for what they know.

That's not technically new info. Anyone that knows anything about the Maya calendar knows the calendar was cyclical and that it would not end in 2012. It would start over, though, which is entirely different. The Maya would have thought 2012 was really cool, but that's about it.

That's not technically new info. Anyone that knows anything about the Maya calendar knows the calendar was cyclical and that it would not end in 2012. It would start over, though, which is entirely different. The Maya would have thought 2012 was really cool, but that's about it.

Yes tell that to the masses. Oh and walmart their survival kits will be on clearance now. :lol:

BTW researchers just said this Thursday. I am sure if they knew this beforehand, they would have said something sooner. The thing is they have evidence from the ancient Mayans, that the world's ending this year was simply just a myth. Of course many felt that way anyway. I thought it was stupid people believed it, but now we know for sure.

No, it has been public knowledge for who knows how long. People just have more fun believing the world is going to end and the media usually doesn't correct that thinking.

No, it has been public knowledge for who knows how long. People just have more fun believing the world is going to end and the media usually doesn't correct that thinking.

Yes, but there was only speculation, and no undeniable proof until recently.

They specifically use the Maya calendar and when it cycles over, you get a "Long Count Bonus." Look at the video involving the Maya. It's tied to a point in time, not tech advancement and it corresponds with the appropriate years. So you might want to give them more credit for what they know.

mayan calendar was exclusevely for religious purposes, so, it would be relationated with culture, science, or some religion bonus

all 2012 srap was created by these new-age groups, even the same mayan priests have said that all that 2012 references were misinterpreted

2012 was just the end of a cycle. They never said the world would end. The world is going to end when it ends. There is no need for any of us to concern ourselves with that.

What I do want to know, however, is what is the benefit of the calendar is for the Mayan civ in game?

2012 was just the end of a cycle. They never said the world would end. The world is going to end when it ends. There is no need for any of us to concern ourselves with that.

What I do want to know, however, is what is the benefit of the calendar is for the Mayan civ in game?

Yep, a calender tends to start over. There were a series of holy dates that odds are would have been reached which have been lost to the tides of time.

But yep, nokmirt I think everyone on here in civfanatics knew this already :p. Any basic research, Maya Priest, even the Popol Vuh would explain in pretty simple terms that our calender was used for a multitude of purposes and that "end of the world" is something which did not exist in Maya tradition.

====

Its one of the main reasons I am a big proponent of telling people to read the Popol Vuh. Gives them a basic information/learning of Maya traditions/culture/religion etc.

Time repeats, whats new? Thank you for the link though. I am sure murals like this are not limited. You hear legends, or at least legends my grandfather told me about that there are more stuff like this out there. Families who have pieces of pottery or people who saved pieces of our history are always rumored to exist. I honestly believe we will find stuff in private collections or local families over time (additional codices, pottery, etc. that will continue to shape our view of the Maya)

Yep, a calender tends to start over. There were a series of holy dates that odds are would have been reached which have been lost to the tides of time.

But yep, nokmirt I think everyone on here in civfanatics knew this already :p. Any basic research, Maya Priest, even the Popol Vuh would explain in pretty simple terms that our calender was used for a multitude of purposes and that "end of the world" is something which did not exist in Maya tradition.

====

Its one of the main reasons I am a big proponent of telling people to read the Popol Vuh. Gives them a basic information/learning of Maya traditions/culture/religion etc.

Time repeats, whats new? Thank you for the link though. I am sure murals like this are not limited. You hear legends, or at least legends my grandfather told me about that there are more stuff like this out there. Families who have pieces of pottery or people who saved pieces of our history are always rumored to exist. I honestly believe we will find stuff in private collections or local families over time (additional codices, pottery, etc. that will continue to shape our view of the Maya)

Yes that is all well and good! :hatsoff: But, you forgot to answer my question. How does the Maya get influenced by their calendar in the game? :shake:

Yes that is all well and good! :hatsoff: But, you forgot to answer my question. How does the Maya get influenced by their calendar in the game? :shake:

Are you asking about the UA? Several posts about this elsewhere. It appears you get a bonus on a baktun (extrapolating from the video). So about every 400 years a bonus and in the video its a choose a great person.

I think there will be something different as well and/or the choice may not always be a great person.

And you can keep track of when you get your bonus easily with the Long Count Calender. When the initial number (signaling the baktun) changes, you will get your great person.

Are you asking about the UA? Several posts about this elsewhere. It appears you get a bonus on a baktun (extrapolating from the video). So about every 400 years a bonus and in the video its a choose a great person.

I think there will be something different as well and/or the choice may not always be a great person.

And you can keep track of when you get your bonus easily with the Long Count Calender. When the initial number (signaling the baktun) changes, you will get your great person.

Yes, I am and thank you. I like the way the have set that up, it sounds like a worthwhile UA. To get to choose from something different than a GP would make it more immersive, but it have to be something at least as important.

exaclty, but new-age groups are misinterpreted the original message... I'm sure that the long count would be some relationated with culture, or science, maybe a bonus of culture or research in each age, or in some number of turns

Yeah, one every ten turns for 4 turns and once every 15 turns for 4 turns. Plus another 4 thrown in.

I really hope it is a different bonus every time, with every baktun giving a better bonus then before. The first baktun can be a faith bonus, then a culture bonus, then food, to a new unit, golden age and maybe a free nuke at 2012, so you can fulfill the achievement.

Top Bottom