New Featurette

Status
Not open for further replies.
This featurrette is just enhancing my worry that the introduction of trade routes will require a ton more processing power, vastly slowing the game down. All these new units moving every turn will seriously tax hardware.

For those worrying about trade units slowing the game down remember what calculations cause the AI to take a lot of time.

All trade units exist on their own strategic layer and ignore both military and civilian units. The main slow down for the AI is the same one you have; navigating the mess that is moving a lot of units in the proper sequence to avoid traffic jams in 1upt. Trade units do not care. Since it almost certain there is no stacking limit for trade units on the map, what possible benefit would this provide, they will need no calculations to avoid traffic or be worried about interrupted movement.

Secondly, the trade units are on a fixed and predetermined path. The AI takes a lot of time crunching its options for unit movement. For trade units there is only one option. There is no calculation about who to attack or what improvement to build, or what city to spread religion too etc. Add these together and I think , and hope, that trade units will not be the drain on turn times people fear.

This featurrette is just enhancing my worry that the introduction of trade routes will require a ton more processing power, vastly slowing the game down. All these new units moving every turn will seriously tax hardware.

Probably not because
1. it is ~9 new units per civ
2. they don't have to recalculate their route if another unit moves in the way (if it is an enemy unit, either the route is cancelled, or they rush to their deaths, or the enemy unit must particularly attack it)

Did anyone notice this at 0:43?

What is that doing there? Can you click it? Or is just an indication? Why would I need an indication for "Previous Route"? "Previous Route" of what - in general, or this unit's?
Am I looking to deep into it?

What is that doing there? Can you click it? Or is just an indication? Why would I need an indication for "Previous Route"? "Previous Route" of what - in general, or this unit's?

Probably this unit (trade routes last for 30 turns and then you reassign the unit)

For those worrying about trade units slowing the game down remember what calculations cause the AI to take a lot of time.

All trade units exist on their own strategic layer and ignore both military and civilian units. The main slow down for the AI is the same one you have; navigating the mess that is moving a lot of units in the proper sequence to avoid traffic jams in 1upt. Trade units do not care. Since it almost certain there is no stacking limit for trade units on the map, what possible benefit would this provide, they will need no calculations to avoid traffic or be worried about interrupted movement.

Secondly, the trade units are on a fixed and predetermined path. The AI takes a lot of time crunching its options for unit movement. For trade units there is only one option. There is no calculation about who to attack or what improvement to build, or what city to spread religion too etc. Add these together and I think , and hope, that trade units will not be the drain on turn times people fear.

All I can say is I hope you're right.

It's probably the route that the trade unit just got done working.

Now I'm worried for in between turns lag due to the excessive amount of trade units on the map :undecide:

In a game I was doing very poorly in, a barbarian battleship took about one of my frigates! Think about that. I still only had frigates but barbarians had battleship! If barbarian camps are left alone throughout the modern era and beyond, they will continue spawning units, and will spawn modern units as well. This has always been the case.

Probably this unit (trade routes last for 30 turns and then you reassign the unit)

I really wish they'd stop making me redo everything every thirty turns. Declarations of Friendship renews and trade renewals are annoying enough. Redoing every trade route every thirty turns as well? Ugh. It's not like the other side has any say in the matter for trade routes. So, this should just autorenew unless I change it.

You know what I love about Civ Fanatics? It's like F***ing CSI in here. Does anyone have the DNA test results on those barbarians yet?

They show the barbarian caravels and battleships exactly when the narrator says "neighbouring rivals wishing to go to war" will try to pillage trade routes.

Good stuff here! I don't think it will have much of an impact at all on turn times.

You know what I love about Civ Fanatics? It's like F***ing CSI in here. Does anyone have the DNA test results on those barbarians yet?

:lol:

It stands to reason that they'd up the barbarians naval game to harass naval trade routes.

It stands to reason that they'd up the barbarians naval game to harass naval trade routes.

I quite like that. The naval game in the past appeared lacking. Now you have a reason to build the extra ship - whether for attack or defense.

Makes archipelago and watery maps a lot more fun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom