Diplomacy Modifiers

McSaucy4418

Chieftain
I have been looking all over but I can't seem to find this anywhere. Does anyone know how long the various diplomatic modifiers last. I know over time they fade out over time but I am curious how long it takes. For example in my current game I told Dido that my troops were "just passing through" but then eliminated her. I didn't get the warmonger from anyone but Haile Selassie who is nearby (playing on TSL as Ramses) but everyone else gave me a negative modifier for telling another civ that I wouldn't attack and then breaking my promise. Is that a permanent penalty?

I have been looking all over but I can't seem to find this anywhere. Does anyone know how long the various diplomatic modifiers last. I know over time they fade out over time but I am curious how long it takes. For example in my current game I told Dido that my troops were "just passing through" but then eliminated her. I didn't get the warmonger from anyone but Haile Selassie who is nearby (playing on TSL as Ramses) but everyone else gave me a negative modifier for telling another civ that I wouldn't attack and then breaking my promise. Is that a permanent penalty?

Normally it's the amount of turns that a diplomatic trade lasts for.

Also, beware of lying to a leader about your troops. If you go to war with them within the 30 turns (on standard pace,) they'll get really mad and everyone you know will get a huge diplo penalty against you.

Warmonger tends to last all game. Best to buddy up with Attila, Genghis, or any other leader that's keen to overlook warmongers.

The "are you planning to attack us?" question should have a defined turn limit that the player is aware of, similar to how they added the notifier for the "stop expanding into our territory" when it expires.

Thanks for the replies. I typically play on marathon so everything lasts forever. Hopefully the penalty goes away soon though. I hate that "are you planning to attack us" question. I wish I could say "yes but not yet". It's a lose-lose situation, either the war gets started before I'm ready or I get a huge penalty and before you say not to amass troops on their borders one archer on a hill and trireme along their coast didn't seem excessive.

The troops warning lasts for 50 turns, along with the other warnings. I'm not sure whether it scales to game speed or not.

I hate that "are you planning to attack us" question. I wish I could say "yes but not yet".
:goodjob:

I agree! I know it's incredibly juvenile but the smart ass in me loves to pull up Diplomacy after I've taken someone's capital, destroyed their cities and made peace to ask them if they want to DoF. I wish the leader screen would change to an animation where they just look at you and reply "Seriously?" in their native tongue.

Top Bottom