What language does Ramessess II speak?

Which Catherine is being portrayed in Civ 5 btw? The wikipedia article says its the second (the great). If so, should she speak French? I'm pretty sure that around that time the Russian court got into the habit of speaking French.

Which Catherine is being portrayed in Civ 5 btw? The wikipedia article says its the second (the great). If so, should she speak French? I'm pretty sure that around that time the Russian court got into the habit of speaking French.

French wasn't totally popular yet. German was quite popular, especially since Catherine were from Prussia. And surely she spoke Russian well.

French wasn't totally popular yet. German was quite popular, especially since Catherine were from Prussia. And surely she spoke Russian well.

I was just trying to make a point to the people that are saying that ramses speaking egyptian arab is anachronistic. If there was a Dutch civ/leader, it would prolly be one that didn't speak modern dutch. I'd still prefer him to use that so I can understand it. (I'm dutch myself, and I have a hard time understanding Ye Olde Dutche)

I think the fact that he is speaking an egyptian accent of arabic (modern egyptian) is good enough for me. I totaly wouldn't mind if alexander spoke modern greek, etc.

Alexander is speaking Ancient Greek, There was a thread similar to this and in it a guy confirmed it was Ancient Greek.;)

But Koine Greek, Attic Greek, Macedonian Greek? :p

OK, now I'm just being picky :D

Civ 4 was funny with the languages sometimes. The Vikings speak nonsense as far as I can tell.

They speak Norwegian, sounds like some dialect from the southwestern coast (Sørlandet), though it sounds somewhat weird and me and some others think it sounds a bit like a German or something speaking the words once in a while. But it is absolutely 100 % Norwegian. Whether Norwegian is non-sense however is up to you though ;)

Hmmm... I should find some way to check out Babylon, Carthage and Sumeria (think I unistalled civ IV... WHY?!? !) to see if they are Arabic, one can usually tell if you spot the same words and they say mostly the same in the clips. Though it would help a whole goddamned lot if I knew Arabic, of course.

Oh and it's said Darius is speaking Arabic....Can't say for my self cause Farsi and Arabic sound the same to me...

That wouldn't make any sense. They are two languages that aren't at all related. Obviously, Farsi has borrowed from Arabic (so they might have Arabic words), but it would just be said if he spoke Arabic when there are modern Iranians around who can at least speak a form of the same language (and are from the same country).

^Agreed. Having Daius speak Arabic is like having Elizabeth speak French or Suleiman speak Greek.

Is there somewhere we can listen to Darius speak? It would make NO sense for him to speak Arabic.

It's definitely not Farsi as it was confirmed by native Farsi speakers and they said it sounded very Arabic to them.....:confused:
Is there somewhere we can listen to Darius speak? It would make NO sense for him to speak Arabic.

I have Darius saved on my P.C, I could e-mail it to you if you want......

It's definitely not Farsi as it was confirmed by native Farsi speakers and they said it sounded very Arabic to them.....

It could possibly be an older or ancient form of Farsi/Persian, maybe?

Is there any reason why they haven't updated the official ciV website with their leader videos? It seems they were on there for a few hours and then got taken down. It's been months now.

It's definitely not Farsi as it was confirmed by native Farsi speakers and they said it sounded very Arabic to them.....
It could possibly be an older or ancient form of Farsi/Persian, maybe?

Ancient Persian ("Farsi" is just Persian for... well, "Persian"... wonder why it gained prominence in the US those last years? :confused:) should sound less arabic...
And I would like to know where all the other leaders are as well :(

They speak Norwegian, sounds like some dialect from the southwestern coast (Sørlandet), though it sounds somewhat weird and me and some others think it sounds a bit like a German or something speaking the words once in a while. But it is absolutely 100 % Norwegian. Whether Norwegian is non-sense however is up to you though ;)

Haha sorry, I'm really bad with Scandinavian languages that aren't Icelandic :blush: I really couldn't understand any of it :lol:

Didn't 2K Greg say that those leaders were only a sneak-peek? They'll probably re-upload it when Civ 5 is released.

Ancient Persian ("Farsi" is just Persian for... well, "Persian"... wonder why it gained prominence in the US those last years? :confused:) should sound less arabic...

Perhaps its a language that's related to Persian (i.e. one of the languages spoken by a small minority in Iran and neighborhooding countries)? Though I highly doubt it, given that it would be a lot harder to get access to a speaker of a language that's a relative of Persian.

It's also possible that the accent or dialect of the speaker isn't what most Persians are accustomed to.

I wish everybody would speak English so I can understand them. :)

Haha sorry, I'm really bad with Scandinavian languages that aren't Icelandic :blush: I really couldn't understand any of it :lol:

That reminded me of Medieval II, where Danes (I think) and Norwegians (I know) had a Russian accent, annoyed me like hell, the least they could do was give them a German one.
So i guess Firaxis might have done their lingual homework better than the Total War guys, but still not as good as it could've been.

And i really, REALLY hope the Persians don't speak Arabic, as that would've been downright bad, there's probably are a 500 000+ who speaks Persian in the US alone....

Is there any reason why they haven't updated the official ciV website with their leader videos? It seems they were on there for a few hours and then got taken down. It's been months now.

I don't think Civ IV had a website til after it released - or had just a shell of one. What's available for Civ 5 is progress for Firaxis. By Civ X they might have a fully functional website done before the game is released.

Top Bottom