Release Date?

I know it's unlikely but I'm hoping for the Delta Works.

I'll be kinda sad if there will not be a (Large/Great) Hadron Collider wonder.

Sixtine Chapel comes a bit late to give faith bonuses, but it still sounds reasonable I guess especially since what you guys suggested about Neuschwanstein (so awful - it's not even close to a 'wonder') with it being pure culture and taking over the effect of the SC makes sense.

Hubble --> Feels like SETI Project from Civ2, so I'd guess a science bonus. However not as strong as SETI (counts as an research lab in every city). Probably only a research lab in the city it is built plus some more science bonuses and-or a free tech or two.

Great Firewall? Someone enlighten me... "who" actually has this? I heard it as joke about China considering them controlling the net access of their population more than most other countries. However the wonder must have to do something with Espionage and in terms of cyber warfare I don't see any major nation in the real world being particularly inactive in that departure. Yeah okay, every time the media says some company or government facility was been "hacked" the hacker had a Chinese IP... oh wow, like an IP says anything at all -.-
I don't think the Chinese government is doing any more espionage via the internet than the US, Russia, Isreal or any other nation. And actually I am pretty sure it is supposed to give bonuses against Espionage, not towards actively doing it. So it doesn't make any sense at all.

Or is this meant to be about the only real wonder that doesn't actually exist (but still picking on China)?

I'm very excited to see what bonus the Terracotta Army could give... can't think of anything :)

The Great <snip> Firewall !!!???
I do not feel the least amazed by this 'Wonder'.
A spit in the face of Chinese people IMO
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
I totally understand your sentiment, but I am also thinking about where Firaxis is coming from.

From a social perspective, I think Firaxis is making GFW a Wonder foremostly as a reaction to recent events in America such as SOPA (Stop Online Piracy Act) and PIPA (Protect IP Act). I suspect they are trying to educate players through the game that if such acts were allowed to pass, America would have its own Great Firewall too.

From a gameplay perspective, GFW certainly is a potentially useful idea to build gameplay upon, much more useful and interesting than the many landmark buildings and large scale construction projects of the modern world.

I think at very least the World Wonders in main Civ games should be symbols of the greatest human achievements, and not purely created pure utilitarian purposes - such projects can at most be National Wonders.

Firaxis didn't say which of the new Wonders are World Wonders and which are National ones. Let's hope they aren't insane enough to make GFW a World Wonder.

Before that, we need to know whether they had added the Internet...

Moderator Action: Please don't quote inappropriate language (now removed).
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

tranx, could you please explain your rage? I *really* don't get it... :confused:
A mechanism to oppress people as a wonder?
I can imagine people not being 'amused' by that.

From a social perspective, I think Firaxis is making GFW a Wonder foremostly as a reaction to recent events in America such as SOPA (Stop Online Piracy Act) and PIPA (Protect IP Act). I suspect they are trying to educate players through the game that if such acts were allowed to pass, America would have its own Great Firewall too.
Isn't that a bit hyperbolic?
But let's not get too much offtopic.
=======
On a different, ontopic note:
If the release date is indeed end may, then the release date is a month earlier than expected, whic is nice :)

Sorry, mods, I'll have to go a little off-topic.
tranx, could you please explain your rage? I *really* don't get it... :confused:
Try to think from a Chinese citizen's perspective:

On one hand, Firaxis is putting the one thing that annoys you every day into the game, this is like putting salt on the wound.

On the other hand, the Chinese have always been frustrated by how the West's view of China is filtered, how only (sometimes inaccurate) news about oppression in China ever reaches the common audience in the West. With GFW, Firaxis seems to say this is the only thing the modern China can be remembered / immortalized by, confirming the stereotype of modern China as all about oppression and nothing else.

In my opinion, the Internet should be a technology and not a world wonder (given that IRL at least a few countries were developing their own military computer networks which later became the internet as we know). In that case I'm ok with the Great Firewall as a wonder, but not a world wonder. It should be a project or a national wonder. I guess it will decrease the effectiveness of foreign espionage or increase the player's abilities in this area. What I seriously hope for - is that the Great Firewall won't be modelled after the Chinese system of internet restrictions, but after a concept of a cyber-"shield" against foreign internet intrusions, namely, espionage. This way it can be detached from the Chinese system but still remain a proper, up-to-date project to protect your civilization with, which is good game-wise.

Neuschwanstein is a great idea. It is indeed a building unique for its era, unrivaled in scale and placed in a special, barely reachable spot in the Alps. A culture boost in late game will always be useful, and might help if another civ snatches the Statue of Christ the Redeemer or Sydney Opera House. But it could provide a happiness boost as well.

Hubble Space Telescope was unexpected and I hope it will be confirmed. After all, we don't know if those rumours should be considered official, unless Firaxis wants to leak out bits of news here and there across the internet.

@ Deggial : contrarily to other World Wonders, The Great Firewall is NOTHING mankind can feel proud about.

@ cuc : I don't want Firaxis to educate me. I just ask them for entertainment (but your other points are valid, especially the last one).

Awesome!

I did a search with some wonder names. I found this!
More info: http://www.webhallen.com/spel/pc/149528-civilization_v_expansion-gods_and_kings
Not sure what's not yet known, but I've cut-pasted a bit:
Expanded Epic Game: The core game experience has been greatly expanded with the addition of new technologies (like Combined Arms), 27 new units (like the new 1-hex ranged unit Machine Gunner), 13 new buildings (like the Bomb Shelter), and 9 new Wonders (see below). Additionally, there are even more new units and buildings included in the four new Scenarios for modders to use.
[...]
Establish embassies at foreign courts for closer ties (or clandestine operations). As the religions of the world start settling in, and the world moves into the Renaissance, you unlock your first spy (with more to come).
[...]
Ally with Marrakech to get access to their unique luxury resources! Vatican City and Jerusalem are holy cities that play key roles in the religious struggle.
[...]
Additionally, all embarked units now have Defensive Embarkation, and can stack with a naval unit for extra protection. Add to this the new Great Admiral, and the high seas have become a much more dangerous place.
[...]
Three new Scenarios:
o Medieval: Grow your medieval kingdom into one of the great nations of Renaissance Europe, fending off outside invasions from Mongols and Ottoman Turks and fighting the religious wars of the Crusades and Reformation!
o Fall of Rome: Play as either Eastern Rome or Western Rome trying to fend off the barbarians OR as one of the barbarians themselves.
o Empires of the Smoky Skies: Build flying airships and huge tractor-like tanks from the unique tech tree of this Victorian science-fiction scenario, and use them to spread your empire across the pre-industrial world.

As a release date it only says Q2. I think. My Danish/Norwegian/Swedish(?) isn't that good.

Awesome, and thanks for posting! :p

Ally with Marrakech to get access to their unique luxury resources! Vatican City and Jerusalem are holy cities that play key roles in the religious struggle.
Perfect decisions, I agree with all 3

Medieval: Grow your medieval kingdom into one of the great nations of Renaissance Europe, fending off outside invasions from Mongols and Ottoman Turks and fighting the religious wars of the Crusades and Reformation!

Yay! Sounds awesome!!
Also, now Hungary got to make it's way in as a new civ :D
Mostly fitting for this scenario!

Nice, some of that info I haven't heard of before, like the city states.

And yes the release date does say second quarter.

Ah OK, thank you for all the answers!

To be honest, I wasn't aware that the real existing chinese internet censorship (of which I know, of course) is actually called "The Great Firewall". :blush:
Under this light, I totally understand the rage!

I thought, "The Great Firewall" would be an (speculative) national effort to protect confidental data from being stolen by spies - and it's name just a fancy wordplay.

Yay! Sounds awesome!!
Also, now Hungary got to make it's way in as a new civ :D
Mostly fitting for this scenario!

Hungary and Poland, remember ;) As both countries dealt with Mongol invasion and were almost equally ravaged.

Deggial said:
I thought, "The Great Firewall" would be an (speculative) national effort to protect confidental data from being stolen by spies - and it's name just a fancy wordplay.

I share your thoughts on that matter.

Hungary and Poland, remember ;) As both countries dealt with Mongol invasion and were almost equally ravaged.

Yep, Poland's chances also increased, and I'm happy about that too :)
But now I just cannot imagine they can leave Hungary out from that scenario :goodjob:
Too much fitting in every aspect

Yep, Poland's chances also increased, and I'm happy about that too :)
But now I just cannot imagine they can leave Hungary out from that scenario :goodjob:
Too much fitting in every aspect

I agree about that, especially with conjunction with the Ottoman invasion. But there is another problem - how to squeeze the additional Civs on the map. There will be little room between the Holy Rome and East Rome, as probably Ragusa and Belgrade (and maybe Bucharest) will be cluttering up some space.

Great Firewall sounds like it might have something to do with espionage...though it sounds like a very silly as a wonder. :rolleyes:

Actually "the Great Firewall" is a nickname. The real name of the censorship system is "Project Golden Shield".

Top Bottom