Captured Great Prophet useless?

Koolhan

Chieftain
Does anyone know if it's a bug or WAD that a captured GP from another religion stays as that other religion?

It was a surprise to me after I moved an enemy GP that I had captured all the way to a city and unfortunately didn't read the text on the conversion where it said they would become Islam instead of my own religion(Sikhism). I had two other GPs running around that were my own, and they all look the same. :crazyeye:

Boy was that a let-down. I guess in a way it makes sense? But, why not just have the unit killed or give some other bonus. Really doesn't make sense to me as a game play element, or am I missing something here in terms of usefulness?

I ended up just disbanding the poor guy.

I don't think there has even been official word on whether it is intended or not. Makes sense from both perspectives, really. If you are out spreading the good word, and a band of ruffians ambush you, your immediate reaction isn't going to be to convert.

But can be confusing from gameplay perspective as well, since IIRC the captured unit doesn't specify what religion it follows.

If the unit still has 4/4 conversions, it can be placed as a holy site, otherwise it is trash (unless for some reason you want to spread a different religion)

Yeah, ok. The only indicator on the unit is in the tool-tip text from the "spread religion" action. Only look after the fact, when I was trying to figure out wth happened. :lol:

It was at 2/4 conversions so yeah, not much I could do with it. Oh well.

If you were playing as Sweden, you could gift it to City State X for 90 influence. I did some things like that on my last Swedish game and it went pretty well.

If a captured GP still has the standard number of spread religion uses, you can still build a Holy Site.

Otherwise if he is partly used and you don't want to spread the other religion, he's still a decent scout with the ability to move into foreign territory without open borders and not be hurt by attrition (unlike Missionaries). Plus, he has normal sight range too.

Unlike a scout, he can't pass through other units, and he's expensive to maintain, and he suffers terrain movement penalties, but he doesn't get blocked by borders, so he can serve as a poor man's scout. He can also serve as a spotter for siege weapons.

Thanks for those ideas. Still probably wouldn't use it for scouting, though I'll have to remember that for a Sweden game.

Sadly, that doesn't work. As the owner of the GPr, you get blamed, even if you are spreading someone else's religion.

Might still be worth engaging in that kind of mischeif (particularly if the other civ's follower and founder beliefs are substantially more beneficial than the beliefs represented by the captured GPr or you want to put a temporary dent in the other civ's religious spread), but you should really have a good reason in mind before you do.

In my experience, captured great prophets can only be used to create holy sites if they have not been yet used to spread religion (ie they have the full 4 capability). That is also a requirement for home grown ones. It would be interesting to see if they can be used to enhance one's own religion :lol:

Unlike a scout, he can't pass through other units, and he's expensive to maintain, and he suffers terrain movement penalties, but he doesn't get blocked by borders, so he can serve as a poor man's scout. He can also serve as a spotter for siege weapons.

I lol'ed at the idea of a prophet spotter.

Artillery: "yo, Moses. How's things looking down there?"
Moses: "well, angle about 3 degrees west, wind 20 knots, aim at 60.5 and you should hit it straight in"
Artillery: "sweet. god bless you!"
Moses: "yeah, I know..."
:goodjob:

I lol'ed at the idea of a prophet spotter.

Artillery: "yo, Moses. How's things looking down there?"
Moses: "well, angle about 3 degrees west, wind 20 knots, aim at 60.5 and you should hit it straight in"
Artillery: "sweet. god bless you!"
Moses: "yeah, I know..."
:goodjob:
Ha ha, this made me laugh.

But on topic, it's kind of a UI blunder that the GP doesn't say specifically which religion it belongs to. I know you can see it by hovering the mouse over the spread religion option, but really, it ought to just be put plainly in the description. Same about missionaries.

Another question on this topic, if u use the captured prophet to build a holy site, does this holy site add pressure to the prophet's religion or your state religion? Which one?

Sometimes I spread some other religion to my cities to get the benefit of this religion. For instance to rush buy a cathedral or mosque with faith. Afterwards when your city reverts back to your own religion you keep those buildings.

Another question on this topic, if u use the captured prophet to build a holy site, does this holy site add pressure to the prophet's religion or your state religion? Which one?

Holy Site has nothing to do with pressure. All a Holy Site does is generate faith for the civ that controls the tile on which the Holy Site is located (just like a religious Natural Wonder generates faith for the civ working the tile on which the NW is located). In that sense, Holy Sites and religious Natural Wonders are entirely non-denominational.

Top Bottom