Votes: 90 25.7%
  • All Of The Above

Votes: 63 18.0%
  • Other (Name it and Describe it)

Votes: 42 12.0%
  • None Of The Above

Votes: 12 3.4%

• Total voters
The roads everything thing is probably a holdover from regular civ land development. It isn't horrible, because it does make it harder for raiders to rip up the warp lines around important planets, and ensures that your defense reaction force, which sorties out of the colony to wipe out intruders, always gets movement back to safety because it never leaves the roads.

But there are usually better uses for construction ships than paving space over.

Pirates are tough against the AI, which doesn't use squadrons or missiles enough as defense. A pirate battleship on its own will die if the player has enough squadrons to stop it, and that is pretty common. If the pirates couldn't turn out battleships without planets of their own, they'd cease to be any threat at all in the later game.

I tried pirate starbases, and unfortunately they inhibited the appearance of new pirate ships. They can handle owning star systems, but not starbases. I don't know why this is, but no new pirate ships appeared once I gave them starbases.

May be a bug.
The pirates seem to just randomly come out with battleships even if they control no cities. What bugs me about the pirates is that they just destroy planets instead of capturing them.

The pirates bug me too, thinker. Are they in the backstory? I tend to engage way more of them than of any other faction, in a typical game.

Can somebody link me to that backstory? I know that Jon has posted it before and I can't find it, for the life of me.

I am unhappy with the way influence works in FF. I don't play the influence or cultural games, yet I am always stuck in the later game stages with having to keep churning out wealth to pay for influence.... and the slider is set to 0%.

I don't know if this is a bug or an intentional setting.

I really enjoy this mod... space is my favorite frontier... but there is a-lot missing from it.

I have just DL'd the latest patch, so I will have to play the FF mod with the patch... but from what I've experience so-far, here are the problems:

Biggest problem: Not enough units and techs. It is too easy to get omega battle ships and when I researched the Omega destroyer I was pretty surprised how quickly it occurred... so I didn't even build a battleship until I got to omega class, then I pumped a few out and dominated way too easily.

2nd biggest problem: AI: it seems too easy to molest them with stealth ships.

- No aliens!! How can there be no aliens in space? This is very weird. There should be alien civs, maybe even a robot or cyborg civ, and also (but not as important) alien barb's that can be either peaceful (give you a free resource or scout or something), war-like (self-explanatory) or a rare, super-advanced alien (from another galaxy) that says something profound just to confuse you.

- Not enough improvements to terrain (maybe there should be asteroid belts on some systems)

- I thought it would be interesting if you could have a ship that could enter a black-hole (or wormhole?) and be transported to another hole.

ALSO: There is a glitch when ships battle, sometimes they disappear... I hope the patch fixes this.

Maybe to help fix movement concerns, you could add a fuel meter to each ship, and they automatically refuel at starbases or star systems... or with a refuel ship. until you research Zero Point Energy whereby all new ships with ZPE drives don't need fuel.

"I am unhappy with the way influence works in FF. I don't play the influence or cultural games, yet I am always stuck in the later game stages with having to keep churning out wealth to pay for influence.... and the slider is set to 0%."

I think this is because in each star system you can switch which planet you build improvements on. You should build an interplanetary beacon on your most distant planets to increase your cultural borders faster... unless I have misunderstood your problem.

"I am unhappy with the way influence works in FF. I don't play the influence or cultural games, yet I am always stuck in the later game stages with having to keep churning out wealth to pay for influence.... and the slider is set to 0%."

I think this is because in each star system you can switch which planet you build improvements on. You should build an interplanetary beacon on your most distant planets to increase your cultural borders faster... unless I have misunderstood your problem.
The speed with which my cultural borders increase is not an issue.

In my most recent game in this mod, toward the end of the game almost all of my star systems were producing Wealth to pay for 350+ Influence points per turn, but the slider was at 0%.

That's TOTAL influence, not just influence from the slider. You can get it from buildings too. It's been a long time since I've played Final Frontier, but I'm pretty sure that there are no buildings that reduce city maintenance in the mod, so you shouldn't over-expand.
OK, that makes sense. However, since I can set each star system to produce Wealth, Influence or Research, it would make more sense to me that setting the Influence slider at 0% would work the same as it does for Wealth and Research. It doesn't.

I think micromanaging every planet is horrible. This should be changed ASAP.

I think micromanaging every planet is horrible. This should be changed ASAP.
I have never seen the need to micromanage every planet. I treat every star system as though it has a single planet.

If someone could give me some solid input, I'd be willing to change my approach.

The maps are so crowded and small even when you make them sparse, and your ships are so slow that it seems more like island to island battles. Also, the ships are not very creative when compared to Alpha Centauri which was made over a decade ago.

I don't mind micromanaging the cities too much but it's TEDIOUS switching BACK and FORTH between stacked cities because Sid's Streamlining VERY helpful suggestions don't work when there are 5 cities in one, so it's like playing Civ I with 5 cities stacked.

?Instead if perhaps the planets were each separate cities unto themselves somehow rotating around the star?

If Sid ever wanted to make an online WoW Massively Multiplayer game he could combine Final Frontier and Civ IV. It could start as Civ IV with everyone on planets fighting for conquest, and once one person on each planet had conquered, then it would become Final Frontier. The servers could control how fast each battle went by control the map settings, i.e. slow-fast, tiny-huge.

What do you think the biggest problem in Final Frontier Mod. Post suggestions, mods, mod ideas, etc.

Feel free to discuss!!!:scan:

worst problem is there are not enough civs, as well as pirates who spawn from nowhere.

I dislike the micromanagement of planets. I just feel that it could have been presented in an easier to manage fashion. I have a hard time planning what buildings to build and where. Don't get me wrong, it's a cool concept, but I think the implementation was poor.

Just like the AI is not effective at a lot of things in this mod. That's the problem. This mod is best for a human vs. human game.

The micromanaging I can deal with. The tech tree is my issue. I would like it improved. Not necessarily longer. It could do with some more techs, but also maybe like in FFH2, specializations. A branch for someone to use capital ships, squadrons, or the in-between. Also, certainly engine technology in the later tree so that lanes become obsolete for the navies (but still needed for commerce). The map script (which one can edit) needs and even sparser and sparsest settings.

Pirate hunter ships.

The ability to clear asteroids for production on planets, build farming colonies on asteroids to provide either food bonus to closest city (colony having to be in border of city), or one to grow food resources that provide small health bonus.

For help with managing, like in Orbis of FfH2, the option to avoid bad health and unhappy, instead of checking and then avoid growth.

And for aesthetics, the choice to rename planets, or no names for planets at all. Having 5 planets named RC-1 or Colombo is really draining from the game play.

And of course, as always either a few more civs (like a Final Frontier micro expansion), or extra leader for each group. Aliens or not I don't care, maybe aliens can come a hundred turns later.

Top Bottom