Road to War Issues

What I meant is that its how it was designed in Civ4. Forest is treated as an animation effect. The smoke from the battlefield graphic is also an animation effect. Only one animation effect can be linked to a plot.
Really, I never knew that. That's interesting.

Hello, i have some problem with the mod. I tried to play with my friend through multiplayer, and we cannot choose Hitler--> there was no germany on the list.

Any tips?

(we used 1939-hitler mod)

I'm a little disappointed with BTS and RTW.
-The winter proccessing, though very cool, takes way too long and almost put me off by itself.
-Most of the leaderheads look like crap but as it doesnt affect gameplay, i can live with it.
-the influence culture that spies can do is almost useless. It gives 1% influence if your lucky.
-The AI is special. In my one OP game Germany invaded poland and stayed at war for years despite having a huge tank army which i guess they were using as paperweights.
-I cant load saved games after I quit. (can't decompress game data)
-In a RHE game, War never came. I played 3 years, thought "forget this" and quit. 3 whole years of horrible world peace!

Other than this its a good mod; good balance, nice geography, and cool units. But the above problems are inexcusable for an official expansion of Civ4.

I'm a little disappointed with BTS and RTW.
-The winter proccessing, though very cool, takes way too long and almost put me off by itself.
-Most of the leaderheads look like crap but as it doesnt affect gameplay, i can live with it.
-the influence culture that spies can do is almost useless. It gives 1% influence if your lucky.
-The AI is special. In my one OP game Germany invaded poland and stayed at war for years despite having a huge tank army which i guess they were using as paperweights.
-I cant load saved games after I quit. (can't decompress game data)
-In a RHE game, War never came. I played 3 years, thought "forget this" and quit. 3 whole years of horrible world peace!

Other than this its a good mod; good balance, nice geography, and cool units. But the above problems are inexcusable for an official expansion of Civ4.

Install the Add-on pack. It fixes most of this. Be sure to get both the add-on and the add-on patch. http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=7310

As for the leaderheads, we were volunteers, not professional artists. ;)

I'd like to change / add some cities to the RTW scenario but the save file references a TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_WW2_"code" that I can't find. Can someone tell me in what file that text key is stored?

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

I'd like to change / add some cities to the RTW scenario but the save file references a TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_WW2_"code" that I can't find. Can someone tell me in what file that text key is stored?

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

..\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\The Road to War\Assets\XML\Text\Civ4GameText_WW2_Objects.xml

Thanks Dale - just what I needed.

By the way, I think this may be the finest mod I have ever played or worked with in either Civ III or Civ IV. There are lots of minor things I may tweak to see if I can make it better but all in all you and the rest of the team who worked on this are to be congratulated for creating a wonderful addition to the game.

Great Job!
:)

Thanks. :)

I'd love to get the AI a bit more aggressive though.

Love the mod, but I find everything grinds to a bit of a halt around mid 1937, health in the cities is disastrous and prevents growth as there are no resources providing it and a military focused tech tree so no buildings to help.
Any plans to change that or any way I can add things like wheat/fish etc? Oil in canada would probably be a good idea too as for the Brits the middle east is their only source(I thought I read somewhere about this being implemented?).:confused:

There's a few purely cosmetic issues; Churchill prime minister in 1936?, and just looking at Britain on the map feels very wrong:lol: The JU87 bugs me as it was really a fighter-bomber, I would have thought the Heinkel He 111 would make a better strategic bomber. None of this affects gameplay though really.
On the whole the mod is great though, one of the best I've played so a big thankyou to all who put the effort in on this one :goodjob:

Thanks. :)

I'd love to get the AI a bit more aggressive though.

Can't argue with that ... and a "smarter" AI as well ... particularly when it comes to naval strategy - the AI doesn't appear to understand that subs can be devastating to BB and Cruisers without DD protection and regularly sends them out alone or in pairs ... and it also makes little or no investment in building or using subs although this is harder to track because of the nature of subs being invisible except to other subs and DD ... I personally have never tried moding the AI and wouldn't know where to begin but I'd love to learn if you have any ideas.

Love the mod, but I find everything grinds to a bit of a halt around mid 1937, health in the cities is disastrous and prevents growth as there are no resources providing it and a military focused tech tree so no buildings to help.
Any plans to change that or any way I can add things like wheat/fish etc? Oil in canada would probably be a good idea too as for the Brits the middle east is their only source(I thought I read somewhere about this being implemented?).:confused:

There's a few purely cosmetic issues; Churchill prime minister in 1936?, and just looking at Britain on the map feels very wrong:lol: The JU87 bugs me as it was really a fighter-bomber, I would have thought the Heinkel He 111 would make a better strategic bomber. None of this affects gameplay though really.
On the whole the mod is great though, one of the best I've played so a big thankyou to all who put the effort in on this one :goodjob:

This is one of the things I'm looking at tweaking, along with addressing why all of the island cities are starving at the beginning of the Pacific scenario. I've tried some changes to the building and terrain specs but you have to be careful as it really changes the play balance pretty significantly. I've played both Japan and the US and the issue is much more significant for the US and makes the opening a long SLOW boring process but if you slug it out you can win and the game does get interesting from 1942 on.

I'm wokring on a mod to RtW - if you are interested in helping on the play testing, let me know and I'll send you a copy when I have a working version.

Does anyone know why you can't build nukes after Sept 1940, even if you have uranium and have built the MP? In fact I built 4 atomic bombs and 8 tac nukes before the prohibition went into effect and was building more but in Oct game reports "cannot continue building" nukes and the icons in the city screen go gray but no explanation of why unavailable. I thought it might be because I was playing the game in "historical" mode but the ban continues past August 1945 so that doesn't make sense either.

Any ideas?:confused:

Does anyone know why you can't build nukes after Sept 1940, even if you have uranium and have built the MP? In fact I built 4 atomic bombs and 8 tac nukes before the prohibition went into effect and was building more but in Oct game reports "cannot continue building" nukes and the icons in the city screen go gray but no explanation of why unavailable. I thought it might be because I was playing the game in "historical" mode but the ban continues past August 1945 so that doesn't make sense either.

Any ideas?:confused:

Have you got the Add-on pack? Just need to know if this is an old bug or new.

Yep - the add on pack is loaded. I didn't get BtS until Nov 07 so both the BtS patch and the add on pack were immediately available and I've got them both installed.

Wierd, cuz that bug was fixed in the add-on. Do you have a save where this is occuring? Post it and I'll check it out.

This is one of the things I'm looking at tweaking, along with addressing why all of the island cities are starving at the beginning of the Pacific scenario. I've tried some changes to the building and terrain specs but you have to be careful as it really changes the play balance pretty significantly.
I never really thought of that, all I was angling for is something to give say +5 health to all cities? Really so more tiles can be used as half never get touched. I guess some cities would benefit more than others but isn't that more realistic? Or am I underestimating just how unbalanced it would be?:lol:
I've played both Japan and the US and the issue is much more significant for the US and makes the opening a long SLOW boring process but if you slug it out you can win and the game does get interesting from 1942 on.
I've never played the pacific theatre, I was imagining all those islands and thought it just wouldn't feel right this way.
Wouldn't say that it doesn't get interesting sometimes but working half the tiles on the board and not improving them or anything feels frustrating I guess, some really good cities should put the worthless ones to shame but they don't as you can't use many tiles.

I'm wokring on a mod to RtW - if you are interested in helping on the play testing, let me know and I'll send you a copy when I have a working version.
Sounds good, I'll gladly help if I can

Wierd, cuz that bug was fixed in the add-on. Do you have a save where this is occuring? Post it and I'll check it out.

OK Here is a set of saves demonstrating the problem. Sorry for the delay - had to recreate the problem in the base mod as I was working off of a copy when I first noted the problem and those saves could not be modified (at least by me) to work off the base RtW mod. Was a good exercise anyway as I think I have uncovered where the real problem lies which should make it easier for you to debug.

So, the problem is not related to Sept 1940 after all but with loading a game running in the "accurate historical" mode (does not appear to occur in "open" play; don't know about the "random historical" as I never tested that) and appears to happen on the next turn after loading any game subsequent to the time that you begin producing nukes.

Attached (I hope) are four save files on this post and two more on the next post as there is a limit of 5 attachments per post. These are 3 pairs of before and after saves from different points in the timeline in the same game. I discovered the "real" problem this morning when I went to continue running the test game through the end of 1940 and it immediately failed on the next turn (that is the "test2a" set of files). The proverbial light bulb went on at that point and I went back and picked up a much earlier save and had the same result (that is the "test2b" set). I did a third test with a save between the first two and again got the error ("test2c" set in the next post). Note that the first file in the a and b sets clearly shows the ability to produce nukes at a point in time where the reloaded files (the second files in the b and c sets) have stopped that production.

So here is my analysis. If you gain the ability to produce nukes, you can continue to do so for as long as you continue that session. However, in "accurate historical" (AH) mode, you will lose that ability as soon as a you load and start another session. Clearly the load process is not intended to and should not have this impact on the game. Having said that, I would also argue that the "real" bug is that in AH you should not be able to produce nukes until July 1945 anyway (at least one turn before the bombs were dropped in Aug). Note that you should be able to produce them after Aug 1945 which is also not currently the case, although these files don't go far enough into the timeline to prove that - let me know if you need me to continue running the test game through 1946 to prove that and I will. I have actually played through to 1949 (as Roosevelt) and never regained the ability to produce nukes so I'm pretty sure that is the case but again these files wont prove that.

Also note that you can never produce nuke bomb shelters even after the research is done. This is a separate bug and appears to always be the case and is just something I noticed while I was doing this test.

Happy debugging!:)

Attachments

• N1H Nuke Test2a Hirohito AD-1938-March-Fortnight 1.CivBeyondSwordSave
    397.7 KB · Views: 75
  • N1H Nuke Test2a Hirohito AD-1938-March-Fortnight 2 no nuke.CivBeyondSwordSave
    399.2 KB · Views: 89
  • N1H Nuke Test2b Hirohito AD-1937-July-Fortnight 1.CivBeyondSwordSave
    360.1 KB · Views: 82
  • N1H Nuke Test2b Hirohito AD-1937-July-Fortnight 2 no nuke.CivBeyondSwordSave
    364.8 KB · Views: 76
Here are the test2c files to go with the previous post.

:)

Attachments

• N1H Nuke Test2c Hirohito AD-1937-December-Fortnight 1 no nuke.CivBeyondSwordSave
    384.4 KB · Views: 76
  • N1H Nuke Test2c Hirohito AD-1937-November-Fortnight 2.CivBeyondSwordSave
    383.6 KB · Views: 83
Top Bottom