Speed Civ 5 Up Between Turns?

Turn off animations. Play a smaller map. Problem solved.

"Avoid using all gameplay features" is not a solution to a problem. It's a deliberate declining of a game experience for someone well above recommended specs because the engine is so poorly designed.

And yes, civ franchise in general is TERRIBLE with this. You can throw down a long list of games that SHOULD run slower than IV/V based on what they have to do...but they're 10x+ faster instead. Hmm.

I didn't realize that this this is probably tied to the LUA usage. It's a rather sad choice made by the dev team :/.

What do you lower to get the most bang for the buck performance/image quality?
It's odd, because I have older tech than you and my PC has no trouble between turns even in the late game on a large pangea, with low sea levels and 50% more civs and CSs than standard for "large".

However, I did have an issue the other day that shed some light on things. For some reason my overclock failed on boot-up, but I didn't notice and when I went to play Civ5 I thought it seemed to be really slow. I checked my overclock and sure enough I was back to stock. After I re-clocked to 3.6Ghz (from 2.4Ghz) I was back to quick in-between turn times.

So, my suggestion is to overclock your CPU some more. I don't know much about the "i" architecture of your CPU vs the Core2 of mine, but I'm guessing yours is probably better clock-for-clock, so I don't know how much overclocking more will help, but give it a go. I'd posit that Civ5 was coded up on/for Core2 architecture, so might be better suited to it than the later "i" architecture, but more Ghz can't hurt, so give it a try.

Also, I've seen a lot of complaints about slow in-between turn times from Core "i" users. Perhaps it's the frequency scaling tech that is messing with the performance? IE, on your turn, the CPU isn't doing much, so scales back the GHz, but when you hit "end turn" it has to crunch a lot of numbers and maybe doesn't respond to Civ5 as it should? I don't know for sure, but maybe it's a possibility? Try turning off frequency scaling in BIOS (if there's an option) so your CPU is always at a fixed, maximum frequency and see if that helps.

Any new methods to speed up turn times in BNW?

Nope, it's the exact same list. Only it can be more important to do so in later game because the addition of trade units added to late game lag problems.

I heard of a mod that only shows YOUR unit's moves and not any of your ai opponents. does anyone have the link to said mod?

For questions about mods, please head over to Creation & Customization and post your question there. (That is where the modders hang out.)

No intro movie, one autosave (every 3 turns), switch to strategic before ending turn after about 1800 AD - then you (well, I) can have everything cranked up and the max and turn time wait is about 30 seconds.

AMD6300, 8Gb Corsair Vengeance, AMD260 2GbGraphic.

Top Bottom