Brave New World gameplay walkthrough w. Ed Beach posting tomorrow

The Communist cultural overhaul of the world war was pretty darn successful - they should be good at Domination, Culture and Diplomacy for mine and less so at Science - in the end the US sent the USSR broke by faking them out with Star Wars and China buys Japanese tech. Fascism was terrible at Culture to be honest. To me they should be good at Science, Domination and Diplomacy. That would leave Freedom with Culture, Science and Diplomacy.

In fairness the Soviet Union won the early stages of the space race. Best not to go into the mess that Stalin's bizarre preoccupation with Engels' philosophical works made of the biological sciences, mind...

If that's Broadway at Radio maybe Prora is the the new icon at Refrigeration and The Motherland Calls at Replaceable Parts?

Well, there's nothing new at Replaceable Parts. I would think the generic "Hotel" improvement would be there with or before Prora, so my guess is that's just a hotel.

My theory is there are two ideology-specific wonders - Prora and Motherland Calls and one ideology-specific unit - Foreign Legion. Otherwise, you would expect to see Motherland Calls some place in the Industrial Era.

Another interesting thing is we saw Impi with Pikemen. That leads me to believe that they don't replace Pikes. My guess is either Swords or Spears.

Another interesting thing is we saw Impi with Pikemen. That leads me to believe that they don't replace Pikes. My guess is either Swords or Spears.

They could have gotten Pikemen from a Militaristic City-State. I think there was one right next to the Portuguese landing site.

I agree with you in many ways, but do remember we are talking about different victory types here. I dont think Order Civs are bad in culture, but they are bad in tourism, which makes you win the cultural victory. Also Autocracy Civs are not bad in science, but they are not as good in building the space ship as Order and Freedom Civs.

Communist countries have not really been the best tourist destinations of the world. Soviet Union, North-Korea and East-Germany were not really that open for foreign tourists. Nazi-Germany on the other held Olympics and before the World War was much more open to outside world than Stalins Soviet Union for example.

Tourism is only nominally "tourism" as such - its actually cultural influence. Calling it tourism was a terrible decision imo because it will continue to create confusion like this. The communist bloc was indeed very influential culturally - my vote goes to the suggestion that all ideologies will be decent at the cultural victory.

Haven't we been told that the Impi replaces the Pikeman in a previous source? I think the Pikemen are from a city state then

Well Nazis had a lots of allies in Europe. Hungary, Bulgaria, Italy, Slovakia, Finland, Croatia, Romania etc.

I would say realistically both Autocracy and Order should be bad at Cultural victory. For balance reasons this would not make much sense.

Autocrats do not share power. They are one-man United Nations.
Nationalists tend not to get along with groups different than them. They are by far worse at good diplomacy than any other aspect.

The Nazis attacked the Soviet Union after promising not to. Terrible terrible terrible diplomacy. I would love to hear how the Nazis made the world a better place by reaching out to people :lol:.

Diplomacy can be brutal. You can force someone to accept your terms out of fear! Just think about Germany that annexed Austria and the Sudetes without firing a weapon before WW2, with basically France and England backing them, because they feared another war.

Really from a historical perspective excluding any focus (science, diplomacy, etc.) doesn't make any sense. From a gameplay perspective its an interesting decision. I haven't watched the video yet, how do we get each ideology? If they take too long to access, they might become irrelevant to the game which I fear

The Nazis attacked the Soviet Union after promising not to. Terrible terrible terrible diplomacy. I would love to hear how the Nazis made the world a better place by reaching out to people :lol:.
The eventual idea was to conquer Russia anyway, making this treaty guaranteed the nazi's no problems at the Eastern border until they were ready for it.

Really from a historical perspective excluding any focus (science, diplomacy, etc.) doesn't make any sense. From a gameplay perspective its an interesting decision. I haven't watched the video yet, how do we get each ideology? If they take too long to access, they might become irrelevant to the game which I fear

It'll certainly be interesting to see it in action, and makes me wonder once more if AIs will be geared towards certain ideologies.

We know, however, that all ideologies are unlocked in the Modern Era or, alternatively, upon construction of three factories.

Oh yeah, shoutout to Rev3games for reaching out to the community. You saw how thirsty we were, came by with a lil water.

With regards to what ideologies are good at, gameplay > historical semantics.

Tourism is only nominally "tourism" as such - its actually cultural influence. Calling it tourism was a terrible decision imo because it will continue to create confusion like this. The communist bloc was indeed very influential culturally - my vote goes to the suggestion that all ideologies will be decent at the cultural victory.

Agreed. The term "tourism" as applied in BNW is misleading, cheesy, and anti-immersive, given how early it appears. It should all be called "culture," with some serving the offensive role and some the defensive. As long as the player knows which functions provide which, there would be nothing confusing about it.

Looked at the tech tree again. There's also a new item on Acoustics, I suspect it's the Musician's Guild. My guess is that the Writer's Guild is on Drama and Poetry (or Writing?) - anyone have an idea where the Artist's Guild might be located? (Optics is the only tech that struck me as barely applicable but unlikely.)

Some additional info regarding World Congress

World Games:
1st place: 100% boost to tourism for 20 turns. Free social Policy
2nd Place: +3 Happiness. + 30 influence with city states
3rd place: +3 happiness

Imagine Brazil having completed the Chichen Itza and freedom policy tree then taking the world games, and using the free policy to take Representation...

4x tourism for 20 turns!!

*Carnival achievement* ^

Looked at the tech tree again. There's also a new item on Acoustics, I suspect it's the Musician's Guild. My guess is that the Writer's Guild is on Drama and Poetry (or Writing?) - anyone have an idea where the Artist's Guild might be located? (Optics is the only tech that struck me as barely applicable but unlikely.)

It's an interesting question. It depends on when they want you to start focusing on gp generation. I can't imagination the different kinds of guild would be as widely separated in era on the tech tree as you suggest, although the connections you draw are logical enough. And it is hard looking at the tech tree to see an obvious spot for artists, although maybe they will just put it in alongside some of the existing culture-focused great wonders.

I can't imagination the different kinds of guild would be as widely separated in era on the tech tree as you suggest, although the connections you draw are logical enough.

Why not? Theres nothing to balance between them. And as far as we know, the buildings to host the GW are spread as well with Library appearing at Writing and the first building we know to host Great Music is Opera House.

It's an interesting question. It depends on when they want you to start focusing on gp generation. I can't imagination the different kinds of guild would be as widely separated in era on the tech tree as you suggest, although the connections you draw are logical enough. And it is hard looking at the tech tree to see an obvious spot for artists, although maybe they will just put it in alongside some of the existing culture-focused great wonders.

Acoustics (Opera House) and Drama and Poetry (Amphitheater) are when the first buildings become available that have slots for Great Music and Great Plays. The first building that has a slot for a Great Painting is the Palace, so most likely the Great Artist Guild is going to be available really early, with Pottery, or maybe even from the start.

Top Bottom