Installing Mods on Civ5 for Mac

Well, I go to the folder where the compressed mods are stored, and they are all in a long series of numbers. Opening one of these folders I find two things, one being the civ5mods and the other is always labeled data.vdf. I can expand the civ5mods using your instructions, but the data.vdf when opened is literally just a title for the mod. The mod folders in their original form as I said before all coded by a series of numbers, such as 1119411831371094896. I cannot do anything with these folders, as they cause errors to occur when trying to expand. Is this normal, or have I done the right thing with removing the civ5mod directly out of the folder?
Here is the contents of a data.vdf file
""
{
"filename" "end of dark ages (v 3).civ5mod"
"appID" "16830"
"creator" "76561198006766898"
}

Ignore the other files, and the numbered folder.

All you need to do is to extract the .civ5mod file into a folder, then move that folder into the MODS folder

Well, I got one out of a dozen expanded mods to work. I'm going to see if I can get the rest to work.
Figured out what I was doing wrong. Thanks.

Has Steam updated recently or something? I'm subscribing to the mods but they don't download at all.

It works for me. I opened the ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/userdata/<number>/ugc/referenced/ folder and subscribed to a mod in the Workshop. A new folder appeared immediately.

Interestingly, it also updated several older downloaded mods, and then updated Steam itself. When Steam restarted, there were far fewer mods in the folder - 6 instead of 22, and they were all recently updated. So it looks as if that folder is a temporary location, and gets cleared out after a time. Presumably by that time the mods should have been extracted and moved to the MODS folder if they were downloaded by the Windows software.

The updated Steam still downloads newly subscribed mods, though.

Do the mods download automatically when you subscribe to them, even if you don't run the game?

Don't I still have to go ingame and go to the mods section to trigger the download?

Yes. I did exactly what I said above. I just displayed the relevant folder in Finder (actually PathFinder, but it shouldn't matter), then opened Steam and clicked Subscribe on a random mod. It downloaded immediately. I was not running Civ5.

That really is quite odd, it's not downloading at all.
Oh well, I hope this thing fixes itself soon...

Hey Guys,

First post and hope I can contribute in the future.

Followed the tutorial and the mods button appeared on my main menu and installed a couple of mods (IGE and Advanced Customisation) but when i try to click the mods button nothing happens, I just stay on the main menu. Can anybody help?

That really is quite odd, it's not downloading at all.
Oh well, I hope this thing fixes itself soon...

Are you certain you're looking in the right place?

Hey Guys,

First post and hope I can contribute in the future.

Followed the tutorial and the mods button appeared on my main menu and installed a couple of mods (IGE and Advanced Customisation) but when i try to click the mods button nothing happens, I just stay on the main menu. Can anybody help?

You need to recheck that you have done everything exactly as stated in the first post. There are two mainmenu.lua files for a G&K installation. You have to edit these correctly, and you need to replace a .xml file. "About right" is not good enough with software. You have to get it all totally correct.

I know exactly where to find the downloaded files, it's just that subscribing won't launch any download at all. It just says "subscribed" without actually downloading anything.
I'll try on another computer or maybe try reinstalling Steam if it sorts out

You need to recheck that you have done everything exactly as stated in the first post. There are two mainmenu.lua files for a G&K installation. You have to edit these correctly, and you need to replace a .xml file. "About right" is not good enough with software. You have to get it all totally correct.

This is for vanilla. I replaced the .xml file and also edited the single mainmenu.lua as is required for the vanilla install. The mods button is mocking me by not being clickable!

Trying to kind of think out loud here whilst trouble shooting - would my error imply that clicking the mods button is trying to access a location where this is nothing there?

(Sorry i'm quite poor on the old game architecture side of things).

If the button is not working, then the script behind it is not working. The script you have modified is the most likely thing to be broken. That's why I questioned whether you have done the editing correctly. Did you use a simple text editor rather than a word processor, and did you save the edited file as plain text?

If the button is not working, then the script behind it is not working. The script you have modified is the most likely thing to be broken. That's why I questioned whether you have done the editing correctly. Did you use a simple text editor rather than a word processor, and did you save the edited file as plain text?

Saved as .lua and edited with text edit?

What was wrong? I may be able to use your experience to clarify the guide.

What was wrong? I may be able to use your experience to clarify the guide.

Well it's rather curious tbh - all i did was open up the mainmenu.lua file with text wrangler and pressed save after clearing the cache. It now works.

Since nothing I'm doing seems to be fixing my problem, would it be too much to ask anyone to upload a mod from the Steam workshop somewhere else and either post the link here or PM it to me?
I would really appreciate it, if it isn't too much to ask.
The mods I'm looking for are (In order of how much I want them):
(G&K) AMC Greek Epic
(G&K) Ancient Mediterranean Civilizations
Faerun Civs Pack for Gods & Kings
Argentine Republic (G-K)
Kingdom of Yugoslavia (G-K)

Top Bottom