Maps of NESing V

I have a good tablet! Wacom Intuos 3 (or something). I did a lot of graphic design in college. I just suck at using it to draw maps, for some reason.

I'd like to post this here as well - it's a handy resource i found that gives you a world map of every year from 3000 BC (enter -<year> for BC) up to the present. I'm not sure how exactly precise it is, but it's a nice tool that could be extremely useful.

Yeah, I find it much easier to create something vaguely realistic by hand. I dunno, but I think that computers are just too precise at times, they remove that kind of homey, handdrawn feel and if the map looks off then it will look really off.

A mouse has served well for years. Pixel by pixel, good sir.

Wow.... I'm sorry to say that I find your Historical Maps to be extremely.... ummm... nasty? No thats not the right word I'm looking for.

I'd say I find them bland, and pretty inaccurate for some of them.

For example I'm use to maps like these....

Those maps don't have a great resolution, yeah, which promotes imprecision. The standard AH.com board maps have always sort of bugged me for that reason - although it's nice to be able to just color the HRE solid black or whatever. They also lack a lot of good visual aids for editing, like rivers or the relief that we've been importing to the fc Miller and Symphonic maps lately.

He's got a point that most of the maps in the thread are wrong or just bad, but most of the maps in this thread aren't meant to be historically accurate, and the ones that are do a pretty good job of it.

The 1750 map seems to have the same river data as ArcGIS uses standard. In fact, I would put good odds on that base map being ArcGIS generated. The small size is a problem, though. On the one hand, I would agree that the old WT map is bland and ugly.

On the other hand, as Dachs said, we have superior technology, we're just not actively using it.

Sym, Link doesn't show anything for me.

The link is working for me. :dunno:

The 1750 map seems to have the same river data as ArcGIS uses standard. In fact, I would put good odds on that base map being ArcGIS generated. The small size is a problem, though. On the one hand, I would agree that the old WT map is bland and ugly.

On the other hand, as Dachs said, we have superior technology, we're just not actively using it.
I have no clue how to use that technology :(

Also that's really really small.

File > Download.

Here is the .pdf file how to create NWolf-style maps. Included is .zip file that has two maps (.xcf file that I used to create this example and other xcf file of an older map that was work-in progress). There's also 3 .jpg files and the same .pdf file that's up in google docs.

Some of you don't like this. This is not the easiest nor the best way to create maps. You don't have to use it, but there have been couple of people who were interested in how I create my maps, so I posted/did the tutorial for 'em.

Attachments

• NWolf_Style_mapcreation_examples.zip
    3.3 MB · Views: 158

Is said technology free, and how does one use it?

What you guys think of this? Colors are height...

Attachments

• whatyouthink.png
    whatyouthink.png
    30.7 KB · Views: 165
I have been silently stalking your progress with the various Nessos projects for years, Erez... I think it looks very nice. I love topographic maps.

I have been silently stalking your progress with the various Nessos projects for years, Erez... I think it looks very nice. I love topographic maps.
lol. Yeah I keep deleting them since I'm never happy once I start increasing the map from the small area around Nessos. Too many tiny mountains to draw!!! So I'm trying to go topographic...

Top Bottom