Want an easy way to play Civ V online? Say hello to Giant Multiplayer Robot! (GMR)

Is anybody else having a problem with their desktop app not seeing their games and turns?

Sorry, I'm not sure what could be causing this for you. But if you could send me the GMR debug logs file from your computer I'd be happy to take a look at it for you! I believe I detailed how to get a hold of it earlier in this thread.

Hey, our game (http://multiplayerrobot.com/Game/Details/81) is running along very well. Your program has been really great for us, thanks.

I know this is crazy, but we came upon a new use case so I thought I'd mention it. One of our players is going to be out of town for a week and would like someone else (different steam account, naturally) to sub for him while he's gone. Of course, we could just wait around for a week, it's not a big deal. A more relevant situation that could come up is, one of the players in your game goes missing, and you want to replace him - not with an AI, but with another player, of course. You don't want to use an AI unless you really have to.

I don't our situation right now is important (we'll be fine just being on hold for a week) but I do think you should consider the case of replacing someone - that seems like a really good feature to have that will help guarantee that these games played over a span of months don't just fall apart when someone bails.

Cheers :)

Hey, I wanted to add I've been really pleased with the service. With a committed group of players, it's much faster than most PBEMs, and approaches pit boss 'speed'.

I agree, being able to replace players at will with AI, then able to change that back to the same or even a different human player would be fantastic. I'm not sure how it'll work with hot seat games, but I know in our MP games we've had real difficulty with trying to use a human to sub in for another player. In fact, I'm not sure it's ever worked, and the most common result was to kill the game completely and make it impossible to continue. So, be very, very careful if trying this!

Thank you both for your feedback! It's exciting to hear how well this service is working for all of you in the CiV community. I'm having a blast doing these pbem games with GMR, and I'm glad that Brian and I wrote it for no other reason than that! But it's ten times better knowing that we can share it with excellent folks like you! :)

And thank you so much for all the suggestions and constructive feedback! We're pretty smart guys but it's simply impossible for us to think of every solution or idea that would make this better.

In response to your suggestion SevenSpirits, we definitely need a way to allow a game to continue when a player is unable to take their turns for an extended period of time. Right now we're actually in the works of implementing a turn-timer on the website that could be controlled by the game host. This would allow the AI to play a turn for any player that goes over the time limit. It would only play that one turn though, the next time the game comes back to them they'll have control of it again.

I understand that many people really wouldn't want the AI taking even one turn for them, and thus we might consider a way to allow another human player to substitute if necessary. This is a great idea, however it seems to be very complicated to implement! Just having the AI take over for a player is very challenging, but implementing a system where a player could designate someone else to play for them would be even more difficult. For now we'll keep this idea on the back-burner and think of a way that we might make this feasible.

In the meantime if you would like I could manually setup another player to take over in your game for the person that is leaving. Then when they get back I could switch it back for you. If you would like me to do that just let me know the name of the player that is leaving and who you would like to take their place.

Thanks again for all the wonderful support and feedback. This has been a wonderful experience thus far! :)

Hi guys,

I have this error at the moment in the game section of the website.

Spoiler :
Server Error in '/' Application.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sequence contains no elements
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.InvalidOperationException: Sequence contains no elements

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[InvalidOperationException: Sequence contains no elements]
System.Linq.Enumerable.Single(IEnumerable`1 source) +320
System.Data.Objects.ELinq.ObjectQueryProvider.<GetElementFunction>b__3(IEnumerable`1 sequence) +41
System.Data.Objects.ELinq.ObjectQueryProvider.ExecuteSingle(IEnumerable`1 query, Expression queryRoot) +59
System.Data.Objects.ELinq.ObjectQueryProvider.System.Linq.IQueryProvider.Execute(Expression expression) +150
System.Linq.Queryable.Single(IQueryable`1 source, Expression`1 predicate) +300
GmrServer.Global.CurrentUser(GmrEntities gmrDb) in C:\Users\Mel\Documents\Mel Work\GMR\GmrServer\GmrServer\Global.cs:106
GmrServer.Controllers.GameController.Index() in C:\Users\Mel\Documents\Mel Work\GMR\GmrServer\GmrServer\Controllers\GameController.cs:18
lambda_method(Closure , ControllerBase , Object[] ) +62
System.Web.Mvc.ActionMethodDispatcher.Execute(ControllerBase controller, Object[] parameters) +17
System.Web.Mvc.ReflectedActionDescriptor.Execute(ControllerContext controllerContext, IDictionary`2 parameters) +208
System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeActionMethod(ControllerContext controllerContext, ActionDescriptor actionDescriptor, IDictionary`2 parameters) +27
System.Web.Mvc.<>c__DisplayClass15.<InvokeActionMethodWithFilters>b__12() +55
System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeActionMethodFilter(IActionFilter filter, ActionExecutingContext preContext, Func`1 continuation) +263
System.Web.Mvc.<>c__DisplayClass17.<InvokeActionMethodWithFilters>b__14() +19
System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeActionMethodWithFilters(ControllerContext controllerContext, IList`1 filters, ActionDescriptor actionDescriptor, IDictionary`2 parameters) +191
System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeAction(ControllerContext controllerContext, String actionName) +343
System.Web.Mvc.Controller.ExecuteCore() +116
System.Web.Mvc.ControllerBase.Execute(RequestContext requestContext) +97
System.Web.Mvc.ControllerBase.System.Web.Mvc.IController.Execute(RequestContext requestContext) +10
System.Web.Mvc.<>c__DisplayClassb.<BeginProcessRequest>b__5() +37
System.Web.Mvc.Async.<>c__DisplayClass1.<MakeVoidDelegate>b__0() +21
System.Web.Mvc.Async.<>c__DisplayClass8`1.<BeginSynchronous>b__7(IAsyncResult _) +12
System.Web.Mvc.Async.WrappedAsyncResult`1.End() +62
System.Web.Mvc.<>c__DisplayClasse.<EndProcessRequest>b__d() +50
System.Web.Mvc.SecurityUtil.<GetCallInAppTrustThunk>b__0(Action f) +7
System.Web.Mvc.SecurityUtil.ProcessInApplicationTrust(Action action) +22
System.Web.Mvc.MvcHandler.EndProcessRequest(IAsyncResult asyncResult) +60
System.Web.Mvc.MvcHandler.System.Web.IHttpAsyncHandler.EndProcessRequest(IAsyncResult result) +9
System.Web.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +8966925
System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +184

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.272

EDIT: Back to normal now

Yep, sorry about that. I'm busy building and testing changes :)

Thx for your quick answer. No pb for testing new stuff :). Another annoying question: have you succeed to solve the auto move issue ? One of our player is facing it at the moment. Thank you very much.

No problems, I'm happy to answer any question! As for the auto moves issue I'm sorry but I don't know for certain how to resolve it as I've never been able to reproduce it myself. However based of the experience I've heard from other players our best guess is that it is somehow related to keystrokes being entered outside of the password box on the login screen for their turn. These keystrokes seem to be stored by CiV and applied as soon as the player logs in.

See if your player can test this theory. If it is the cause some possible solutions would be to be very careful when entering passwords or just don't use a game password at all. Since we made a security enhancement to GMR where we "encrypt" players passwords there is really no need for an in-game password with GMR at all :)

Hey m4stermel -- quick thought --> are you guys planning on adding any communication functionality to the web site? It's been occurring to me lately that it would be great to be able to communicate what DLC will be used in a game, etc. for games that are being organized directly on the web site without any e-mail or forum communication. Other than that, the site seems to be working awesome, am enjoying two solid games so far ...

Hey m4stermel -- quick thought --> are you guys planning on adding any communication functionality to the web site? It's been occurring to me lately that it would be great to be able to communicate what DLC will be used in a game, etc. for games that are being organized directly on the web site without any e-mail or forum communication. Other than that, the site seems to be working awesome, am enjoying two solid games so far ...

Yes! We are planning on implementing forum style comments for games on the GMR website, as well as an additional details field for a game that will allow the host to specify more information than what they might put in the title. We have limited time to actively develop new features but we are consistently working away on it. So I'd expect to see game comments within the next week or so! :)

Yes! We are planning on implementing forum style comments for games on the GMR website, as well as an additional details field for a game that will allow the host to specify more information than what they might put in the title. We have limited time to actively develop new features but we are consistently working away on it. So I'd expect to see game comments within the next week or so! :)

Super-awesome! I've gotta say, you guys are putting together a really useful utility -- Thanks so much!!!

You're very welcome and thank you for all the amazing feedback and support! We love developing software like this and we love playing Civ V with awesome people like you, so the whole experience has been very rewarding! :)

Hi mel,

I have another concern for the GMR. Now it is possible to play multiple time your turn. You can exploit this to optimize the position of your cap, to do shadow scouting in the beginning, to optimize your war movement as well. There are no way to know if a player has done this.

Is there a way to counter that ?

Thanks in advance !

Hi mel,

I have another concern for the GMR. Now it is possible to play multiple time your turn. You can exploit this to optimize the position of your cap, to do shadow scouting in the beginning, to optimize your war movement as well. There are no way to know if a player has done this.

Thanks in advance !

Honesty.

Hi mel,

Thanks in advance !

Unfortunately there isn't any way to prevent someone from doing this. As loading and playing the game takes place entirely inside of CiV we can't hope to ascertain any level of control over them loading, and re-loading their turn. This is just a down-side of doing a pbem game and one that has to be handled on the honor system.

Top Bottom