Installing Mods on Civ5 for Mac

You could check for an Aspyr folder in ~/Documents? That's where the Steam version saves its games.

Spotlight might find your saved game. I don't think it searches anywhere in ~/Library, though. Yes, it should be named as you see it in-game.

Hey AlanH,

Just a quick thank you for your very detailed and useful instruction on getting the mod up and running.

Really appreciate it mate!

Hey im having a slight problem, i do everything that you said but when i open civ 5 and press the mods button there is nothing there. I have tried pasting many different mods to Documents/Aspyr/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/MODS but none of them seem to appear in the actual game. Thanks for the help in advance! :thanx:

Hi, welcome :wavey:

The usual reasons for this are:

1. You haven't installed your mods in the right folder. You have to install them manually, following the full instructions in the first post.

OR

2. You haven't replaced the xml file as described at the end of Step 3.

AlanH,

Thank you so much for your detailed and step-by-steps instructions, and ongoing support on getting civ5 mods on the mac up and running.

Thanks again, I really appreciate it!

Note - if you could update the part of the instruction on using Steam downloads - I was stuck on this for a while:

#1 in ugc/referenced/######### folder find [mod_name].civ5mod
#2 rename [mod_name].civ5mod to [mod_name].civ5mod.7z
#3 open [mod_name].civ5mod.7z with Keka, or The Unarchiver (I use)
#4 rename NEW [mod_name].civ5mod FOLDER to [mod_name]
#5 move [mod_name] FOLDER to your Sid Meier's Civilization 5/MODS folder

Thanks for your comments.

Renaming the .civ5mod file in your #2 is only necessary if your extractor can't open a .civ5mod file. Keka can and does if you drop the file on its archive. I don't know about Unarchiver. I have added a note about this in the first post, BUT ...

If you have to make the file a .7z, then CHANGE the existing file extension to .7z, don't APPEND .7z

#3 is surely unnecessary - how else would you expand the archive?

#4 is unnecessary if you don't add an extra file name extension to the file name.

#5 is covered in my step #6.

Hi AlanH. Can you tell me what the problem is specifically with the mac not reading mods? Is it a 7zip, rar or winzip problem? Because me and this guy on steam are working on making a mod for the mac and we don't know what it is specifically. We can see in the instructions on how to do it but we want to know if we need to pack the mod with something to make it work. And since i'm the mac owner i'm the test subject here. But can you tell me which it is? Because were focused on this. And what we do here are probably the first step in making mods compatible with the mac.

If you want to make a Civ5 mod that can be distributed via the Steam Workshop then it has to be built to the standards defined for Steam Workshop mods. It must be made into a single .civ5mod file by using a .7z utility to archive and compress it.

When a user subscribes to the mod using Steam Workshop the mod will be downloaded by Steam. If the user is running Windows Civ5, the mod will be automatically expanded into its original uncompressed form, and moved into the Mods folder. But if the user is running Mac Civ5, the compressed mod file will just sit in the Steam user directory until the user finds it, expands it manually, and moves it into the Mods folder manually.

Hi AlanH, and thanks for all of your help.

I've made the .lua edits to both Civ5 and Godas&Kings, replaced the .xml file, extracted my mods (Perfect World and A Civ of Ice and Fire) and manually placed them into the right folder. The Mods button now shows up, and if I allow for DLC Mods in the options then a list of scenarios shows up, but my workshop mods never appear.

Do you have any idea what my remaining problem could be?

Are Perfect World and A Civ of Ice and Fire downloaded from the Workshop? Are you sure you put the extracted mod folders in the right Mods folder?

Nevermind, I actually got it to work! Apparently Keka did require me to change the extension from .civ5mod to .7z. Thanks again for all of your information!

See section 5 of my first post. I mentioned that you might have to change the file extension to .7z. However, I also pointed out that you don't have to do this if you set Keka Prferences->General->Action to "Always Extract", and drop the .civ5mod file onto Keka's icon, either in the finder or the dock.

Thank you AlanH for all the informed advice, detailed instructions, and polite manners in these help threads. I'm a Mac newbie and had no apparent problems with following your precise instructions.

My question (for you or anybody knowledgable on the issues) is, how can you be sure the mod is installed properly and *actually functioning*?

For example, I had no problem getting the mod menu back or moving the mods to the proper Mac folder so that they show up. I started a new game, went to the Mod menu, activated he mod I wanted to use (R.E.D mod pack), and it seemed to take some time to install then showd a green check next to the mod. So everything looked fine.

But when playing the game, it did not look like the units etc actually were being scaled by the Mod (e.g., I still have gigantic chariot archers taller than buildings in my city).

Is there a way to determine if the mod is actually functioning, besides the checkmark in the mod menu or just making a subjective visual judgement? (i.e., are there game logs or similar objective data that confirms if a mod is being utilzed?)

Hi

After you have activated the mod, and you have the green tick, you must click Next, not Back. Next takes you forward to a screen where you can set up the mod parameters and scenario. Back takes you back to the standard game setup screens, and you don't get the actual mod facilities.

Hi

The file you downloaded ends in .civ5mod, not .mod.

Please see the instructions in Section 5 of the first post in this thread. You have to extract the mod from the .civ5mod file, and place the extracted folder in MODS. I recommend you use Keka to extract it - see also my post #134, not far up from here.

Hi

After you have activated the mod, and you have the green tick, you must click Next, not Back. Next takes you forward to a screen where you can set up the mod parameters and scenario. Back takes you back to the standard game setup screens, and you don't get the actual mod facilities.

Okay, got it.

Click mod menu, checkmark the mod you want to use, click next, then at the confirmation box showing the selected mod(s), click single player at the top of that box and setup the single player game game through there as opposed to going back to the main menu and clicking single player.

Where I got it wrong was on the confirmation screen showing the selected mod. I didn't realize that "single player" at the top was clickable, and it was there I clicked back, thinking it was the only option.

Thanks for the clarification.

Yes, those menus are badly designed in my opinion. When there's only a single item, it's easy to mistake it for a heading.

Top Bottom