Is anyone else excited for the new scenarios?

Are you excited for the new scenarios?

• Total voters
Some of the achievements have me curious.

Dr Livingstone I presume? - Playing as Belgium, move your Stanley Explorer to within a tile of England’s Livingstone Explorer.
The Rhodes Colossus - Playing as England in Scramble for Africa, complete a railroad from Cairo to Capetown.
Nigerian Bank Account - In Scramble for Africa, marry Sokoto or Bornu.
Discoverer - Playing as Italy in Scramble for Africa, earn the VP for finding two Natural Wonders.

Obviously, exploration will be a big part of this. Also wonder if the new trade and acheology features will come into play. (I really wanted there to be a "Captain Spauling, the African Explorer" achievement. Maybe the Marx Brothers will be in as great artists in the regular game.)

Pickett's Recharge - Capture Gettysburg with a Confederate Infantry unit possessing the George Pickett promotion.
Sheridan's Valley Campaign - As Union, control Winchester, Front Royal, Harrisonburg, Staunton, and Lynchburg.

How big will the CW map be? If there is a Pickett promotion, will there be other promotions named after Generals? And what might they be?

If I were a confederate soldier and I got the Pickett's promotion, the last thing I would want to do is charge. That didn't end well for Pickett's men.

If I were a confederate soldier and I got the Pickett's promotion, the last thing I would want to do is charge. That didn't end well for Pickett's men.

Yeah, that was a total disaster for the Confederates. Lee wanted to resign because of it.

How big will the CW map be? If there is a Pickett promotion, will there be other promotions named after Generals? And what might they be?

Sherman - not cost for pillaging and destroying railroads produces gold.
Jackson - general has extra strength but can be killed by own soldiers.

I wonder if they're going to use animated leaderheads for the Europeans at all? It would seem odd having, for example, Elizabeth and Napoleon for England and France. Perhaps a de-Steampunking of the "Empires of the smoky skies" static leaders would yield more fitting leaderheads?

Eh... That never stopped them from having animated leaders in other scenarios, even where they don't fit AT ALL. Like Hiawatha and Gandhi being Polynesian leaders! :crazyeye:

Eh... That never stopped them from having animated leaders in other scenarios, even where they don't fit AT ALL. Like Hiawatha and Gandhi being Polynesian leaders! :crazyeye:

that was awesome. i would've used leaders whose backgrounds in no way fit with the Polynesian theme: Darius, Bismarck, Askia etc.

Of the scenarios I've played, I had the most fun with Smoky Skies simply because it was the most revamped with alternate stuff, like neat new units. Overall, I thought the the theme was well expressed. So, what I'd want for a new scenario is something like that -- the more different from the core game the better (rather than the same civs/units/buildings with new time/border/goal constraints).

I don't have a good example to propose, but maybe something like...
- Battle for Atlantis (mythology): Compete for control of Atlantis before it sinks! Factions use UUs like Cyclops, Minotaur, Harpee, Siren; have leaders with UAs like Zeus, Poseidon, etc.

- Space Race (sci-fi): Compete to colonize the Moon against Martians, Venutians, and Area 51 rebels!

Look, those are just off the cuff, but you get it. Mo' different.

Whilst I do really like scenarios I'm kinda glad that they decided to focus on the core game play elements and get them right. Also hopefully that dedicated multiplayer team can do something nice for the MP players.

But I do agree with what people have been saying about a WWII scenario. That is one that would be really nice with the world congress and all those new elements they are adding. But I don't feel really strongly about it and then there's all the political things in there like having Hitler as a leader. I voted being more excited about the Africa scenario but I probably won't get around to playing them for quite a while.
There really isn't anything political to it that they didn't do with the CIV WWII scenarios and the fact remains they also used Stalin as a playable character in the main game. I can't remember if the BtS WWII scenario let you play as Hitler or if you played as the ceremonial head of state of Germany at the time (who wasn't Hitler). In any case the whole 'political correctness' argument against a WWII scenario is overblown and dumb when you spend 5 minutes thinking about how they have already done it in previous civ games.

You had to play as von Papen, which was ugly, and moreso you had to play against von Papen as other Civs, which made no sense at all. Might as well have Kalinin for USSR with that logic.
But oh well we have Hitler's leaderhead in mods, at it would be weird to ask them to produce different scenario versions for the countries where using Hitler's animations is outlawed.

EDIT: oh i've googled it and it turns out that von Papen wasn't even the formal leader of Germany at the time, so my comparison with Kalinin is flawed. But well you see the point: political correctness, albeit a slight form of it, affected their WWII scenario.

You had to play as von Papen, which was ugly, and moreso you had to play against von Papen as other Civs, which made no sense at all. Might as well have Kalinin for USSR with that logic.
But oh well we have Hitler's leaderhead in mods, at it would be weird to ask them to produce different scenario versions for the countries where using Hitler's animations is outlawed.

EDIT: oh i've googled it and it turns out that von Papen wasn't even the formal leader of Germany at the time, so my comparison with Kalinin is flawed. But well you see the point: political correctness, albeit a slight form of it, affected their WWII scenario.
IIRC, you could play as one of two different German leaders depending on when you started. There was the option to start in either 1933 or 1939 or something like that and I think Germany had a different leader depending on when you started and neither was Hitler. I don't have a problem with them not allowing Hitler (even though it's a bit's silly given the choice to allow Stalin and other butchers and now ACW slavers). It is only a problem when Hitler is used as an excuse to disallow WWII scenarios whatsoever. I don't think that has happened though, I am quite sure they decided against a WWII for other reasons and the talk of it having to do somehow with Hitler is just an odd rumor exacerbated by the fact that the mods here tend to clamp down on Hitler talk which makes the whole topic taboo.

I wonder if they're going to use animated leaderheads for the Europeans at all? It would seem odd having, for example, Elizabeth and Napoleon for England and France. Perhaps a de-Steampunking of the "Empires of the smoky skies" static leaders would yield more fitting leaderheads?

One of the leaders already fits the scenario and 2 (possibly 3) of the new civs are going to be in it but they might have a nice art design instead given that not very many of the leaders fit the scenario.

I am excited for both and wish they had added in more scenarios. In particular I would have loved WWI and WWII scenarios. But there's no way they have the common sense to allow He-Is-The-Leader-Eternally-Redacted to be in one of their games nowadays. Of course the evil slaver empire of the CSA is allowed in because AMERICA NUMBER ONE!!!1 They gave Carthage a fictional leader and Byzantium a prostitute purely to be politically correct in having more womyn as leaders, so there's no way that they'll be politically incorrect enough to accurately represent the leader of the most significant nation in the world's most important war.

Voted "I wanted a different scenario" but actually, I don't care about scenrios.

Top Bottom