"The Shining Path" should be a great work.

pedropavani

Warlord
Ok, I'm making this topic with full notion that I'm an idiot and that making a topic requesting a easter egg is one of the most stupid ideas one could have. But I truly want to give it a chance however, so let me explain the issue.

Back in eighties gaming franchises were rising, and soon some kind of tradition was created to these franchises so it would give the fans some sense of continuity and succession. When Zelda and Dragon Quest were released both had catchy theme songs, not much different from Mario and a thousand other franchises, when Zelda II and Dragon Quest II however had those same songs, two of the most popular "franchise theme songs" were created (and should you have played those games those tunes must be playing at your head now).

Creating such tunes and using it on multiple instalments of a franchise became a quite popular habit on the Japanese scenario... the Western studios however were a little late on doing this, just for you to think, the first time the catchy "Age of Empires theme" was played was on 97's Age of Empires II, and Elder Scrolls's musical tradition started with Morrowind's tunes. Before that it is actually hard to find a western franchise with a strong musical tradition trough it's games, 94's Sim City 2000 songs were used also on a few hidden songs of SC3k and SC4k... but one of the earliest ones we can find comes from a 1991 game...

Sid Meyer's Civilization, have you guys heard about it? It is a nice game where you can kill submarines with spears and stuff. You see, when those pixelated leaders showed up for diplomacy a little song would start playing, and most of those songs. Some songs like the one of 16-bits Elizabeth or Lincoln were not original, so I'm ignoring them, but those which were composed by the civ team are what I'm going to talk about here.
Harvest of the Nile, Hammurabi's Code (Pesia on Civ 4), Augustus Rises and Tenochtitlan Revealed have been present on CIV 1,2 and 4. The nostalgic Aristotle's Pupil has been on CIV 1 and 2 and maybe 3, I'm not sure.

But none of those songs reach the legendary level for the Civ franchise that "The Shining Path", the stereotypical Chinese theme that was first heard with 8-bit Mao 22 years ago and since them has been on ALL civ games. It was a background music on CIV 2 and 3 and again as Mao's theme on Civ 4. Civ 5 went for serious musics and was also rather Futurist when it came to breaking traditions and sadly the tune is not on its music...

And here is where we finally reach the topic, I saw that when a great song is discovered in BNW it plays a little of the song... I know that such spot is reserved for the best of best, for those classic masterpieces and such... but... I just can't believe Firaxis will let the chance pass, I really think at least Shining Path should be in as a rare easter egg.
I know it is silly, but, think about it, The shining path represents 22 years of history of the franchise and of the "video game series theme songs" and is as far as I can tell THE oldest of those on the west, it is not cool to break such a long lasting tradition :mischief:. It sounds ridiculous but the fact that Civ V is almost ending without at least a reference to the old times bugs me.

Useless topic, I know, but is just something I needed to shout out, perhaps I hope that one of the Firaxis guys will read and agree with me... silly me.

But none of those songs reach the legendary level for the Civ franchise that "The Shining Path", the stereotypical Chinese theme that was first heard with 8-bit Mao 22 years ago and since them has been on ALL civ games. It was a background music on CIV 2 and 3 and again as Mao's theme on Civ 4. Civ 5 went for serious musics and was also rather Futurist when it came to breaking traditions and sadly the tune is not on its music...

Just to say, while I don't know or care about this tune, I am relieved to find that the thread wasn't advocating the inclusion of a Peruvian revolutionary group...

Just to say, while I don't know or care about this tune, I am relieved to find that the thread wasn't advocating the inclusion of a Peruvian revolutionary group...

Same here, I was half expecting a political rant, quickly followed by a thread lock. :lol:

He is talking about this music:

Link to video.

And wow.. it's been years since I listened to that music... Brings back memories of Civ II in my case... lovely...

I do believe it would be nice to have it included somehow (in fact I'll just swap China's theme with that now)... But I don't know if they would have a chance at becoming a great work, since the system does use historical ones I suppose...

I play Civ with music off, what I liked in Alpha Centauri were the videos that played and the quotations read by Spock (Leonard Nimoy). I still see Alpha Centauri as the hardest or at least most literate of the series, the new one is easily the biggest with all the leaders, but because there is a leader for every style, if you just want to kill, there are plenty of leaders with military bonuses.

Choosing the great works probably depends on them being in public domain right now, especially for music. Great Gatsby must be copyrighted still but just referencing or even quoting a book is OK, to play a piece of music you have to license it.

Will be interesting to see the complete list of great literary works and if anyone in mainstream media picks up on what the gamers think is historically important. I wouldn't hold out hope for this song being a great work.

Copyright law gets weird for small snippets. For music you can use up to 30 seconds of it (arbitrary decisions, yay!) but I am fairly certain that is only for non-profit purposes. It would mean modders would be in the clear to use copyrighted material to mod into the game, at least.

Copyright law gets weird for small snippets. For music you can use up to 30 seconds of it (arbitrary decisions, yay!) but I am fairly certain that is only for non-profit purposes. It would mean modders would be in the clear to use copyrighted material to mod into the game, at least.

...and if you look in the C&C forums, there are so many mods based on copyrighted works.

If there's one great work that would be an easter egg,that one should be "Baba Yetu" .

How you know when you're a Civ players are a special type of video gamer - all the people on the thread immediately think he's advocating for south American rebels.

They should have Song of the Volga Boatmen as a Great Work by the Alexandrov Ensemble, then. Best Russian theme EVER

You never know, they could include it. In Civ IV, a late-game random event was the creation of the Civilization series. :D

Not quite on topic, but related. Does anyone know the name of the Indian (Native American)-sounding music in Civ2? That's been bugging me for quite awhile and the game won't run on my computer so I can't install it to look.

ETA: Civ2: Multiplayer Gold Edition if that makes a difference.

Not quite on topic, but related. Does anyone know the name of the Indian (Native American)-sounding music in Civ2? That's been bugging me for quite awhile and the game won't run on my computer so I can't install it to look.

ETA: Civ2: Multiplayer Gold Edition if that makes a difference.

[YOUTUBE-OLD]zw-ele8Q0iE[/YOUTUBE-OLD]

This one? Oh, it also turn out that this song is also on the four civs (I didn't notice it was on CivIII :mischief:)

Oh could also be this one

[YOUTUBE-OLD]0MoQgWZhq3M[/YOUTUBE-OLD]

How do you change a civs music in Civ 5?

Either making a mod that has a file with the same name BUT in mp3 format of a music ingame (VFS=True) or changing the core AudioScript files...

Top Bottom