SilliNES2: Pure Story and World Building NES Succeeding? PFFFFF, YEAH RIGHT!

Alright, the Necrocracy is clearly not what people are going for. I'll scrap that and come up with something else. :)

So we came to a conclusion? Light magic?

If you truly wish to scrap it, I will.

Light Magic, basically. Now, it will have to be defined further of course, since "Light Magic" itself merely means that Magic is very inaccessible, very difficult, and gives varying or not very impressive effects.

Mr. Novak walking down street when finds inertsection. Does not know neighbourhood so invokes folkcustom of flip (useless modern) coin for directoning. Lands "tails" & so apperently Mr. Novak in Eisen Europa.

If you truly wish to scrap it, I will.

Light Magic, basically. Now, it will have to be defined further of course, since "Light Magic" itself merely means that Magic is very inaccessible, very difficult, and gives varying or not very impressive effects.

Magic is incredibly difficult to learn and cast requiring specific disciplines and years of practice. Strong Faith is a prerequisite in order to cast 'true' magic.

Scattered around the world are Mana nodes, from which all magical energy comes from. Recently, advances in Technology have enabled engineers and scientists from around the world to extract energy directly from mana node in liquid form. The process drains the surrounding area of magic, gradually making magic difficult to cast. In exchange, engineers can use the liquid in order to create magitek equipment, making magical items a available to everyone.

This would cause interesting dichotomies between religious nations seeking to protect the mana node reserves in the wild as well as the Industrial West nations seeking to control them.

Mana nodes, especially wild ones, are interesting to me. I support.

Would Native Magitech's method be the same as Swabiapunk's method? IIRC Crezth said something about magic empowering various processes of the steam engine to make them much more effective, with the engine powering machines, while Magitech is more about magic directly powering machines.

Yeah I think that's a good contrast. In my idea, the canon should be that Magitech is the technology of directly translating magic to kinetic energy.

With industripunk, the traditional process of steam-based energy is reinforced by magic. This is what would allow larger/more complex machines, possibly even flying devices, using the in-actuality super-inefficient steam power that steampunk is based off of.

What makes magic exceptional is two things. One: magic, we can say, allows one to bend the rules of the universe. Two: It is obtained as a direct product of human effort. Where electricity is a transient property of all matter, and heat radiates naturally throughout space, magic must be tapped by a conscious mind. That is the limiting factor!

Mana field could be like the electrical field, with the nodes being where significant magical energy intersects with the surface of the earth.

Mana-Oil sounds fun, but also sounds hilarious. Manarabia is shipping thousands of barrels of Manaoil.

EDIT: Damn, I like the limiting factor being the conscious mind! Whatever that means :3

Spoiler :
terrance crezth
19:06 terrance did I get Swabiapunk right
19:07 terrance the Industripunk Revolution
19:07 azale uhh
19:07 azale you mean
19:07 azale jules verne?
19:08 terrance nnnope
19:08 terrance u so silli
19:08 Crezth ya
19:09 *** Strat joined #nes
19:10 terrance thanks crezth
19:12 Crezth i posted
19:12 Crezth and edited it
19:12 Crezth just now
19:13 Luckymoose tlj never replied D:
19:13 terrance yay
19:13 terrance what do you think about
19:13 terrance Mana-Oil
19:14 Crezth Well I think the cool thing about magic is that you need magicians to get it.
19:14 Crezth And magitek is the middleman.
19:14 Crezth or, rather, magitek cuts out the middleman

19:15 Crezth that's not to say magic can't have cool resources but they'd all be produced goods
19:15 Crezth Like bloodstones or totems or whatever.
19:15 Crezth Extremely high-value hard-to-obtain goods. Not something you can industrialize.
19:15 terrance yeah
19:16 Crezth So whatever magitek is, it would have to be something revolutionary.
19:16 Crezth A way to utilize magic that is relatively low-effort.
19:16 terrance It's still my mind-canon that the Mayans invented Magitech
19:16 Crezth Imagine a magical device that allowed the user to hurl lightning bolts.
19:16 terrance when aztechs invaded they adopted the Mayan magitech into their society
19:16 Crezth No, yeah, that's copasetic.
19:16 terrance and othe rMayans fled to the Inca
19:16 Crezth It's the difference between a trained wizard channeling his powers through a wand
19:17 Crezth and a goon using a strange device to electrocute someone with no skill required.
19:17 terrance via intense training and discipline to lot loose concentration
19:17 terrance so it's like the difference between an alchemist mixing and using gunpowder, and an army wielding gunpowder weapons

19:17 terrance *not lose concentraiton
19:17 Crezth yes
19:18 Crezth an alchemist worth his salt can use gunpowder to great effect
19:18 Crezth but it's nothing like a cohort of 3000 men each wielding a musket

19:18 terrance exactly
19:18 terrance and the 3000 men all easier to train than 1 alchemist
19:18 Crezth ya
19:19 Crezth so that's what makes magitek so crazy
19:19 terrance so what was once a fringe thing used once in a while
19:19 Crezth It's both a facilitator to wizards, so Aztec wizards will be the best,
19:19 Crezth and a new thing for society at large.
19:19 terrance becomes actually viable in changing the course of nations /significantly/

19:20 terrance Swabiapunk is a very cool idea that I approve of
19:20 Luckymoose magitech is
19:20 terrance usually steampunk is hand waved or something
19:20 Luckymoose best when it is used in capitalism
19:20 terrance I can see Catalonia sorta like the Ottomans
19:21 terrance in that they revolutionalized the use of gunpowder weapons/magic on the battle field
19:21 Crezth I plan to have Swabiapunk later incorporate some magical innovations.
19:21 terrance which lead to the Magocracy
19:21 Crezth Talking mostly steam-powered machines that have magical "brains"
19:21 terrance but they stagnated and are not up to date on new innovations and stuff
19:21 terrance cool
19:21 Crezth yeah I bet Catalonia has a few battlemages
19:22 Crezth but not exactly Aztec-style weapons
19:22 terrance have you read Turtledove's fantasy rehash of the civil war?
19:22 Crezth no
19:22 terrance Advance and Retreat?
19:22 terrance well, I see Catalonian battle mages like that
19:22 terrance their spells are few but battle changing
19:22 terrance they can make an image to double the size of an attacking army
19:22 terrance seemingly
19:22 terrance they can conjur fog while they themselves see clearly
19:23 terrance they can attempt to assassinate enemy commanders at long range
19:23 terrance even if they use only a single spell
19:23 terrance imagine Napoleon with battlemages!
19:24 Crezth yeah no that sounds awesome
19:24 Crezth so basically we got
19:24 Crezth Europa with huge armies of musketeers
19:24 Crezth Catalonia with standard armies, backed by incredible wizard-generals (few but amazing)
19:25 Crezth Aztec with advanced, scary armies. The lowliest soldiers able to spit fire, the most advanced squads able to hurl lightning bults.
19:25 Crezth and Swabia with canons that can roll around on their own

19:25 Crezth cannons* lol
19:27 terrance canons that can roll on their own?
19:27 terrance what can they do? shoot through the 4th wall? :3
19:27 terrance France gotta have something, /anything/ kewl to go with it
19:28 terrance or else people will ignore it and it won't get past the semi-canon stage
19:30 terrance crezth, is it OK if I post this conversation?
19:30 terrance BJ would probably won't go ballistic if I do. Hopefully, *crossesfingers*
19:30 Crezth go for it

Awesome conversation with Crezth.

@ Bair the Normal: right now I'm saying 4 people for Canon, which I will check tomorrow. Since you don't have 4 people, obviously your idea isn't interesting and/or attractive enough to be accepted by four people. So work on it :3.

I support the above conversation.

Few extra things about areas surrounding Andeina to help flesh out the region.

The Southern Cities:
The land south of modern day Andeina once belonged to it but has since broken of from the nation during its numerous civil wars. The region is dominated by numerous city-states that are fiercely independent. Occasionally a city or two will rise to dominate the others around them but their reign falls quickly due to rebellions and coalitions against them. Andeina has made several attempts to reconquer the region but every attempt has failed as the cities banded together to thwart the attack. In recent years Andeina has given up aggressive action and has trade relations with a few of the cities
(Feel free to make up a city state if you want in the future, I really would rather not come up with 20 or so generic cities)

Tribes beyond the Mountains:
During the height of Andeina numerous attempts were made to conquer the barbarians beyond the mountains. Initial gains were always good during these campaigns but would inevitability be lost with the fall of the ruler. With the rise of the new government no new campaigns have been launched. The tribes continued raids for a few decades but then suddenly stopped. No one has seen a tribesmen since the raids stopped and the bureaucrats have refused to spend out scouting parties fearing that they might stir something up and have thus far preferred to maintain a defensive position.

In the Phoenician Leage, Magic is varied. While nearly everyone knows a few simple cantrips and parlor tricks, few truly master it beyond the previously mentioned. Since mana is relatively rare and hard to utilize propery, there are only a few serious magicians, but ever since it was discovered in the early 1700s, a Magician's Academy has been built in every city. The general focus of Phoenician magic is defensive and reactive magic, but each city has branched out in speciality a little bit. Nowadays, disputes between city-states are usually settled by duels (to unconsciousness) rather than massive wars,

Sidon: Sidonese magic is almost entirely reactive countermagic. It's a common joke that a duel between Sidonese mages is more like a staring contest. However, it is a contest of intense concentration, each one waiting for the other to falter a little bit, and then one makes a move by actually casting a spell. If the other Mage isn't able to react in time, the first mage accumulates massive advantage and wins. If the other reacts in time, a flurry of counterspells follow in a few quick seconds, and the winner of the counter war is usually able to win the duel. Against other mages, the Sidonese Mage attempts to counter every spell cast by the opponent, either to great sucess or dismal failure.

Tyre: Tyre magic is mostly relating to divination and the Æther. Mages from Tyre are able to unsummon enemy conjurations back into the Æther and foresee enemy moves (albeit only a few seconds in the future). They can also create illusional creatures from the Æther as well.

Sur: Sur magic is mostly protecting and healing magic, with some pacifying magic as well. In general, it is related to the needs of the group over the needs of the self. Sur mages usually pacify their opponent's conjurations while protecting their few conjurations, while healing and protecting themselves.

Kition: Kitionese magic specializes in creating and animating metallic constructs (basically magic-powered robots) due to the abundance of metals on Cyprus. Kitionese magic also specializes in non-animated artifacts, and as a result, has the most conjuring. A Kitionese mage's battle plan is usually simple: conjure robots and smash the opponent with them. There are many subschools, however, and one of them involves conjuring an overwhelming amount of mechanical defenses against enemy conjurations.

Carthage: Carthaginian magic, or "dirty magic" or "black magic" as called by the other cities, is by far the darkest and most evil of the schools of magic utilized by the city-states. It specializes in death and darkness, and many spells can outright kill enemy conjurations and knock out enemies immediately. Carthaginian mages can also divine into the future and create more temporary mana. Carthaginian conjurations are by far the most vile, being able to summon imps and horrors. However, all of this power comes at the price of life energy. Some of it is lost immediately, and some of it is lost over time, causing Carthaginian mages to live much shorter lives than everyone else.

Now please approve!:please:

Alright, the Necrocracy is clearly not what people are going for. I'll scrap that and come up with something else. :)

So we came to a conclusion? Light magic?

I actually like the Necrocracy, it's new and different. :(

Magic is merely another form of energy, similar to that of electricity or heat.

Seconded. I support this notion.

I would also like to say that I support every nation that has been added up to this point.

Do Carthaginian mages make blood-infused stones of great magical power? Will they export them to Swabia? :mischief:

I'm afraid that the form magic is taking is nothing like anything that would ever interest me.

I'll wait a bit, but I'll probably be dropping.

Is my Magic good, Terrance?

I'm stating that if an integral part of the world doesn't work for me, I can't ignore it and write about all the other parts, because that part is, as I said, integral.

That'd be like writing a story about modern day but completely ignoring airplanes because I don't want to deal with them. Whether or not my story is about airplanes, they still need to be included.

I think Magic in this should be like Magic the Gathering!

JK, I'm fine as long as my stuff works out with everyone else's.

Top Bottom