Pre-FC/CrezNES Thread: 1836

Hey guys. Just a quick update on the update. I'm still working on it but I have had a lot of work that has muscled in on the time I normally reserve for updating. Rest assured it's coming though!

-The C Man

Yes there has. Slow but steady for sure.

[2013.12.04x19:33:53] <+RogerDodger> it'll be done when it's done
[...]
[2013.12.04x19:40:30] <+SymphonyD> Crezth confirmed as 3D Realms.
[2013.12.04x19:40:37] <+SymphonyD> TCT rebranded Duke Nukem Forever.
[...]
[2013.12.04x21:48:57] <+Crezth> lol
[2013.12.04x21:48:58] <+Crezth> hahaha
Look forward to an exciting update in 2025, guys!

I request that you please delete those! :O

In case you don't believe, I'm still working on the update. Look to its coming within the fortnight.

Yes, I realize that. I won't lie it's been a long time without discussing it. But I haven't abandoned it just yet. If I decide to stop working on the update I will come out and tell you. But as it stands, right now, I'm still putting it together.

I request that you please delete those! :O
Nah. There's nothing particularly damning in them being public that wouldn't come out in an update, and if one does happen maybe they can serve as a model for others. As to that, I'll believe it when I see it.

Well you haven't even been on #nes to crack the whip lately, so frankly, you have nobody to blame but yourself.

I don't remember being appointed your keeper.

Moderator Action: I deleted both posts.

That's totally unacceptable. You have no more right to delete my posts&#8212;that did not break any rules whatsoever&#8212;than Crezth does, particularly when they regard my orders which I can reveal at my leisure, and nothing more than a timer to show how long it's been since the last deadline. His request does not override my desire to disclose the information when this game is by any reasonable measure dead, and I'm frankly insulted that you think it does&#8212;especially when one of the posts had been up for 35 days.

Here they are once more. If you delete them I will put them in this thread yet again, and my orders in the orders thread. Furthermore, for this kind of terrible behavior, I quit, meaning that if the game does resume they will be necessary information for the follow-on player.

TIME SINCE LAST TCT DEADLINE

Spoiler Japan 1836 :
PRELUDE
Japan exists in an increasingly precarious international situation. The sakoku policy of exclusion was increasingly tested in the early 19th century, with the Russian Empire launching attacks on Sakhalin and the Chishima Islands from 1805&#8211;1808, the aggressive actions of the HMS Phaeton in 1808 in Nagasaki harbor resulting in the establishment of the ikokusen uchiharairei (Edict to Repel Foreign Vessels)&#8212;and a new focus on English and Russian translation capabilities instead of merely Dutch&#8212;in 1825, the British claim of the Bonin Islands in 1827 and American settlement of the same in 1830, and many other national insults. Debate rages as to how Japan should respond to increasing foreign transgressions, and its isolationist and exclusionist policy is not absolute, with rangaku (Dutch Learning) having gone on since the beginning of the sakoku policy, and trade continuing to be conducted officially with Korea and the Netherlands and unofficially with China.

The domestic situation is hardly less complex. The Tokugawa bakufu, established at the end of the sengoku jidai, is stagnating and the basis of its power is unraveling under the long peace. The land is divided into han, each ruled over by a lord&#8212;a daimy&#333;&#8212;and defined by kokudaka (rice yield in koku). These daimy&#333; come in three categories: fudai, often appointed to the sh&#333;gunate's administrative positions and placed at key strategic points; shinpan, relatives of the sh&#333;gun; and tozama, the richest, largest, or most powerful, which are largely excluded from the government and kept in check through political marriages and familial hostages. In addition to having been implemented to curb the spread of Catholicism, the sakoku policy was also intended to limit the wealth and power of many of the tozawa daimy&#333;. Coupled with the mibun t&#333;sei rei (Separation Edict) which sharply stratifies social classes along lines first promulgated in ancient China (the shi, n&#333;, k&#333;, sh&#333; or Four Occupations) this has lead to an uneasy era of stagnation that masks great tensions.

DETERIORATION
Those tensions are put under further strain in 1836. Following the already bad disasters of the 1834 Edo K&#333;go Fire and 1835 Sanriku Earthquake, the ongoing Great Tenp&#333; Famine hits full stride, in part due to climatic variance and the inflexibility of the economic pricing and taxation system synergizing with declines in rice production and rising prices. In addition to wide-spread starvation and famine, this also results in government revenue decline due to a drop in kokudaka. The spread of disease in the famine's wake claims yet more lives, and the stagnant economic prospects of the samurai pushes many into the hands of the fudashi (rice brokers), which only exacerbates economic imbalances. The reigning sh&#333;gun, Tokugawa Ienari, is by this time lecherous degenerate who fills his days with pleasure and excess and cares nothing for the suffering of the masses, so nothing is done to address the worsening situation. It seems like something has to give.

So it is that on Sunday, May 15, 1836, Tokugawa Ienari is assassinated during the events of the Kanda matsuri in Edo by unknown assailants. Although he was not the first sh&#333;gun to be killed (Tokugawa Tsunayoshi was murdered by his wife), he was the first to be politically assassinated. This, coupled with his long rule (49 years) makes the action particularly shocking. The professionalism with which he and his immediate bodyguard are dispatched in the confusion of the matsuri leads some to conclude his death to be the work of shinobi, possibly even some long-forgotten remnant of the Iga or K&#333;ga (ironic if true, given both had served the Tokugawa at various times). Accusations fly that he has been murdered by tozama daimy&#333;, by the Emperor Ayahito, by one of his sons, by one of his many wives, or even&#8212;for his shamelessness&#8212;by the kami themselves. The truth is rather simpler, though known to virtually none: Date Yohorsehockyaka, a leading member of the senior branch of the Date clan in the Sendai Domain, ordered the assassination in retaliation for the devastation the Great Tenp&#333; Famine wrought on his daimy&#333;'s lands. The origin of the assassins remains a mystery.

The chaos that follows the death of Tokugawa Ienari is immediate, and it is several weeks (early June, 1836) until Tokugawa Ieyoshi establishes himself as sh&#333;gun, having been away from Edo and unprepared for these events. In the meantime, the tozama and other interested factions, led by Date Yohorsehockyaka from behind the scenes, make a power play, appealing for the Emperor to weigh in on affairs, although he observes protocol and tradition and remains silent&#8212;for the time-being. At the same time, motivated by the suffering of the people, &#332;shio Heihachir&#333; burns down roughly a quarter of Osaka[3], and inspires numerous ikki rebellions that cross class lines among the disaffected whom the famine has most adversely affected. While most of these latter are simple acts of localized brigandry, some become notable regional security threats. Tokugawa Ieyoshi, discerning the efforts of the tozama to advance their position through the oniwaban secret police and simultaneously dealing with the minor uprisings, implements a harsh crackdown even while promising reforms, punitively increasing annual obligations on the tozama (setting sankin-k&#333;tai rotations at 6 months instead of a year, to begin in 3 months, and setting more arduous public works schedules) even as he demands they assist in restoring the status quo. This in turn pushes the the tozama to pursue a more aggressive posture.

DATE YOhorsehockyAKA
Born in 1812 and 24 at the time of the ongoing crisis, Date Yohorsehockyaka would at first seem to be unnaturally young to be such an influential figure in the Date clan. This would be without reckoning for his force of personality and machinations. Greatly inspired by his clan ancestor, Date Masamune, and appalled at the ongoing Great Tenp&#333; Famine, Yohorsehockyaka was driven to delve deeply into study of the Sengoku jidai to search for an answer to the ongoing crisis in the face of bakufu apathy. It was during these studies that he became convinced that Oda Nobunaga's vision for Japan had been betrayed by his successors Toyotomi Hideyoshi and Tokugawa Ieyasu, and that this distortion of vision had only become worse under Tokugawa's descendants. After months of significant consultation of period accounts of the Sengoku jidai and what material was available to him on rangaku, he determines the bakufu must be reformed or abolished. His precise views on what should come about instead remain initially nebulous, although it is clear to him that Japan cannot remain isolated under the sakoku policy.

It is within this context that he arranges for the assassination of Tokugawa Ienari (through means still mysterious) and&#8212;utilizing this as leverage over his daimy&#333; Date Narikuni, for if it were made public the entire Date clan would likely be wiped out in reprisal&#8212;begins to proactively exercise control over the Date from behind the scenes. Being a figure with less than the utmost importance in the clan, he is free to move about and negotiate with daimy&#333; without raising suspicion. It is he who orchestrates the airing of grievances and request for intervention to the Emperor (through an intermediary) and it is he who is ultimately behind the brewing tozama rebellion.

ESCALATION
By early July the situation between the bakufu and tozawa becomes sufficiently confused and vicious that Date Yohorsehockyaka is able to assemble (with the help of a trusted translator) a letter to King William IV of the United Kingdom requesting arms (principally flintlocks and cannons) and advisors to be delivered to remote locations in tozawa secured areas. He manages to obtain the ka&#333; of many likeminded daimy&#333; and clan leaders to endorse it through the argument that foreign aid and superior technology (many remembering the Nagasaki Harbor Incident) will 1. provide a trump card that will force the bakufu to negotiate, 2. result in the forceful abandonment of the sakoku system to the benefit of the tozawa, 3. provide a decisive advantage if negotiations break down and hostilities occur, and 4. entangle a foreign power's interests in the outcome of the war and so prevent their intervention in a way detrimental to the aims of the tozawa. This letter is given to a Dutchman who is paid handsomely for its transmission and his loyalty in the matter, and it is expected to arrive in November to December, with a response, if any, coming in April to May of 1837. It is at this time that the aligned tozawa may first be designated as the renritsu (Coalition), although the term does not become popularized until the next year. The stage is set for a showdown between renritsu and bakufu, between Coalition and Sh&#333;gunate.

The immediate aims of the renritsu are muted. In an effort to avoid detection by oniwaban, they make efforts to stockpile arms in secret and stall or accede to the bakufu's demands regarding putting down the ikki. (It is notable that when possible the renritsu do not actually destroy the ikki but attempt to convince them to temporarily stand down and side with the renritsu when the time is right. This policy is difficult to implement but manages some success, although word also occasionally leaks that something suspicious is occurring.) Gunsmiths are bought up by the renritsu and moved to remote regions within their territory to resume production of tanegashima matchlock guns in warfighting quantities during this time to gain a military edge over the bakufu. Samurai, often at this point bureaucrats rather than warriors, are more extensively deployed and trained under the pretext of dealing with the ikki, as are ashigaru, with the process being used to determine combat fitness. The different tozawa of the renritsu commit to this with varying degrees of enthusiasm&#8212;Date takes them extremely seriously, as do, interestingly, Shimazu of Satsuma han. There are also efforts to find and locate within the populace r&#333;nin and those otherwise inclined to and skilled in fighting to function as, effectively, Non-Commissioned Officers&#8212;it is regarded as inevitable that peasant conscripts or volunteers will need to be mobilized to fight and beat the bakufu. &#332;shio Heihachir&#333; is notably recruited during this time, and hidden from bakufu authorities.

The bakufu, for its part, is aware that something is occurring, and makes its own efforts to improve its readiness, although their efforts are focused upon the samurai and ashigaru and increasing the fortifications of certain points of strategic control and access&#8212;this likewise done under the pretext of the ikki and increased brigandry.

This continues from July through December, during which the ikki are increasingly put down by the bakufu side or restrained by the renritsu and the accelerated-schedule sankin-k&#333;tai processions come into effect. What is not immediately obvious is that the renritsu daimy&#333; bring with them some of their most skilled warriors disguised as servants and assign only the most loyal samurai as their official retinue, and so a highly skilled military force is slowly but surely infiltrating Edo. The intent of this is to break the renritsu daimy&#333; and families out of the city by providing a fighting retreat so they might escape by horse or boat in the event of conflict. There are rumors among the upper echelons of the renritsu that shinobi are also being deployed. From the surface, the situation appears to have returned to normal. It is to be merely the calm before the storm. Date Yohorsehockyaka has set the deadline for the renritsu mobilization and issuance of an ultimatum to the bakufu for February 3, 1837&#8212;setsubun&#8212;as a symbolic gesture.

Spoiler Japan 1837 :
PRELUDE
Elements of what are by this time standard in European warfare, such as volley-fire from defensive positions (Battle of Nagashino, 1575) and cavalry charges (Battle of Mikatagahara, 1573), were independently discovered during the sengoku jidai, and during that time, Japan was the world leader in firearms production. These tactics and the use of firearms as a whole declined under the Tokugawa bakufu due to a lack of need. In the context of the looming bakufu-renritsu conflict, they require revisiting.

EXTERNALITIES
Having sought the assistance of the British, renritsu forces make contact with representatives of the British East India Company in late December, 1836. Negotiations occur on-site over the course of several days. Although this early arrival is unexpected, it is rapidly surmised by the local renritsu delegation that the BEIC must be acting without orders from London. That said, due to the time-constraints imposed by Date Yohorsehockyaka's ultimatum deadline, neither he nor other high-ranking officials could arrive in a reasonable time to negotiate directly either. The ranking local renritsu representative, Maeda Kaneda of the Maeda clan, assumes responsibility based on instructions from renritsu leadership. Negotiations are somewhat tense, but the following deal is reached:
  1. The BEIC will be permitted to dock at any given Japanese port, albeit subject to customs and tariffs.
  2. The BEIC will be allowed to purchase land in Japanese ports for the establishment of facilities (docks, warehouses, etc.) at its own expense in the post-conflict environment. These facilities will remain the sovereign territory of Japan. Negotiation of purchase of such land will be assisted by the post-conflict government and not blocked provided it does not appear to contravene the direct interests of the state, and if the land in question is government-owned, will be sold at fair price. It is implied, but not stated, that the BEIC will not be allowed to build facilities far inland.
  3. BEIC personnel and all British citizens will be subject to extraterritoriality within a "reasonable distance" of these facilities, but otherwise subject to Japanese law unless they enjoy official diplomatic status. This distance goes undefined at this time, but is understood on the Japanese side to probably be less than a mile.
  4. Post-conflict, a Japanese legal interface office will be set up to observe extraterritorial cases (and submit findings to the government to diplomatically protest their outcome if it disagrees), to direct British citizens to British legal aide for Japanese court proceedings (for whatever use that may be), and to translate Japanese laws into English for provision to British citizens and/or their legal counsel to minimize diplomatic and criminal incidents.
  5. The customs and tariffs upon the BEIC shall not be excessive, and the same treatment shall be afforded to any Japanese traders entering BEIC territory.
  6. In return for this, the BEIC will supply the renritsu with approximately 20,000 flintlock rifles, some 40,000 flintlock muskets, and around 1,000 modern artillery, as well as personnel skilled in their training, tactical experts, and and military historians. The BEIC also agrees to cooperate in naval interdiction, but no ground forces are requested from it. There is no mention of repayment for these resources.
  7. The BEIC can be anticipated to, but may or may not actually send, personnel to learn Japanese as translators, and/or observers.
Although he is unaware of developments in China and Korea, Maeda Kaneda believes these terms to accord well with the renritsu's policy of abandoning sakoku and providing carrots to the BEIC, while at the same time maintaining Japanese territorial integrity and honor. In effect, he has arranged for a large supply of arms to be delivered to renritsu forces for the only real concession of limited extraterritoriality. News is relayed to renritsu commanders, and the British depart before New Years. It is anticipated they return before the deadline (circa late January); renritsu leaders meanwhile, are largely pleased by the terms. The deal becomes known as the Treaty of Minazuki Bay, after the meeting place on the Noto Peninsula.

REORGANIZATION
While waiting for the BEIC to deliver weapons, the renritsu leadership plans out how it will restructure its forces. Date and Shimazu units, noted as being of the highest quality, are designed as Type 1 readiness (ichigo), with most of the remainder designated as Type 2 readiness (nigo), while volunteers, willing ikki, and ronin are to be designated as Type 3 readiness (sango). (This has the ironic effect of making top-tier troops "strawberries," line troops "concubines," and volunteers "coral.")
  1. Type 1 units will form the offensive core of the renritsu army, with all the flintlock rifles and most cannons.
  2. Type 2 units will form the the bulk of the army, with most flintlock muskets and some cannons.
  3. Type 3 units will function as reserve, guard, and defense forces, with some flintlock muskets and tanegashima matchlocks. Unlike Type 1 and Type 2, composed of samurai and ashigaru, Type 3 units may be led by non-hereditary commanders, or may be allocated commanders, depending.
Although it is predicted that bladed weapons will still see prominence in close-in fighting, cavalry charges, and so on, renritsu forces expect to fight primarily pitched battles with guns. Until such time as the BEIC delivers guns, all three Types are to train with matchlocks and traditional weapons. It is expected roll-out of weapons and training will continue past the deadline, but that truly protracted and intensive fighting will require some mobilization time, providing an opportunity for these units to become acquainted with their weapons while early skirmishes let each side feel the other out. Successful performance by a given unit may result in its elevation in status and equipment; the converse is also true.

Although different renritsu units will come from different han and different daimy&#333;, they may (and will) be under locally unified commands, with Type 1 commanders taking precedence, to minimize battlefield confusion. With the provision of BEIC tacticians and historians, it is expected that tactics will evolve over the course of the war. (The Highland charge of British history will probably be an inspiration, given the ubiquity of bladed weapons; essentially banzai charges.)

DEADLINE
While military preparations are ongoing, Date Yohorsehockyaka and other renritsu leaders finalize their demands on the bakufu and secretly predistribute pamphlets and posters of them for simultaneous release. As setsubun comes around on February 3, 1837, they are promulgated across the nation simultaneously:
  1. Abolition of the tozama/fudai/shinpan distinctions.
  2. Abolition of the sankin-k&#333;tai practice.
  3. Abolition of the sakoku exclusion policy.
  4. Repeal of the ikokusen uchiharairei (Edict to Repel Foreign Vessels).
  5. Repeal of the mibun t&#333;sei rei (Separation Edict), with attendant possibility for meritocratic progress (hereditary advancement into positions to continue for two generations, not including high government positions, which are to continue indefinitely).
  6. Recognition of the terms of the Treaty of Minazuki Bay.
  7. Abolition of the kokudaka system and han public works programs, and transition to a nation-wide currency (be it minted, paper, or both) with attendant taxation on trade, sales, and income.
  8. Disbandment of the government monopolies on mining and foreign trade, easing of logging restrictions, and land reform.
  9. Failure to acknowledge a willingness to meet the above conditions within two months will result in their armed enforcement.
It is expected by the renritsu that the Shogun will reject these demands out of hand and will mobilize immediately, although he may also bide his time and build his forces. It is considered highly unlikely he will simply cave-in. Not content with only acquiring a technological advantage over the bakufu given their 2:1 manpower advantage, the renritsu han also engage in an immediate recruitment drive to create Type 3 units, with agitators also covertly spreading the message into fudai, shinpan, and bakufu han. The salient points are as follows (though they are presented far differently in the actual text):
  1. The imposition of order and stability at all costs has stifled the greatness of Japan, and it is increasingly under siege both from within and without.
  2. The reforms promised by the renritsu will help everyone (explanations of how follow; they won't be listed here), and help the entirety of Japan break free from an era of stagnation.
  3. This effort is not the return of gekokuj&#333; or the sengoku jidai, but one aimed at increasing everyone's prosperity, avoiding conflict if possible, and ending it quickly if it occurs.
  4. Any man&#8212;or woman&#8212;who will side with the renritsu in pursuit of this, either in combat or in direct support thereof, whatever their background, shall receive a guaranteed transferable living wage (in precious metal), housing, and food for the duration of their services, any grievously injured will receive meritorious recompense following the conclusion of hostilities, and all shall receive government recognition for their efforts.
CONFLICT
With all the pieces in place and the shogun's capitulation unlikely, the renritsu war strategy follows naturally from geography. The first two months until the final deadline will be spent quiescently if the bakufu is slow to react, or defensively if it immediately attacks. This will give Type 1 and most Type 2 units time to train with their newly acquired weapons and become proficient, while other Type 2 and Type 3 units can hold the line&#8212;acquiring experience and lulling the bakufu into a false sense of superiority.

Once forces are ready, Type 1 and most Type 2 units will forward deploy, relieving the other Type 2 and Type 3 units (which will then recuperate and retrain in turn) to press the counter/attack. The first priority is securing Kyushu, Shikoku, and northern and southern Honshu, which are relatively bereft of bakufu-allied han. (Matsumae clan in Ezochi are largely irrelevant to the outcome of the war but forces should be in place to combat them if they ally with the bakufu.) Once this is achieved, northern forces are to secure the routes to Edo and capture the symbolically important site of Nikk&#333; T&#333;sh&#333;-g&#363;, while southern forces are to secure Osaka and Kyoto. With the Emperor within renritsu territory, he can perhaps be persuaded to endorse its cause, or will perhaps do so on his own to elevate his standing in the post-war environment. From there, the encirclement and reduction of Edo is the final objective.

The precise directions of advance are left open to commanders, and will likely fluidly change over the course of the war, and new developments will certainly arise; therefore, specific campaign details are not provided here. It is unclear when, or if, the shogun will back down. The efforts of the BEIC to interdict any bakufu naval operation are also not covered here, although they may (or may not) be of use in assisting the breakout of daimy&#333; and attendants under sankin-k&#333;tai in Edo (which will likely occur contemporaneously with the deadline of setsubun).

P.S. The exact same posts exist in stazNES XI, nice selective "rules" enforcement. These backups have already been made in accordance with JPF-OSA negotiations.

For the record, I did not ask Birdjaguar or any other moderator to delete your posts. I never even mentioned it outside of this thread. But if you quit, you quit. I don't blame you because the update has been so slow and is probably not worth the wait. Still, sorry to see you go.

It's nonetheless the environment we find ourselves in that moderators can and will wantonly delete posts for no good reason and without any accountability. I won't stand for it, regardless of the circumstances. Not with the behavior that's permitted on CFC on a daily basis.

That means my participation is ultimately a political casualty, but I've also lost faith in the ability of this game to productively continue, even if an update is delivered. Maybe I'm wrong, but if I am then surely it can proceed without me. Good luck.

I understand.

Top Bottom