A Tale of Common Things

To Mr. Miguel Barragan
as an Open Letter to the Mexican People

Many words, but none of them a denial.

Let it be heard throughout Mexico -- pray for the soul of Santa Ana, now fallen to paganism and witchcraft.

From President Miguel Barragan

We hardly thought a formal denial to these absurd accusations necessary. But no- of course not- Santa Anna is neither warlock nor satanist. And since we are throwing out crazy and baseless accusations we should also add that he is neither a unicorn, a leprechaun, or a frog.

Now that we've dealt with your strange inane accusations, lets move on to matters of real importance...

When will you be stepping down?

Spoiler OOC :

Remember the distinction between OOC and IC. There really is no way for you to know about what went on in my story. Acting on it just makes your leadership look crazy. Remember, right now, Santa Anna is beloved by the people, he is the father of their liberation from tyranny and from Spain, and the champion of their faith. His popular support has never been higher. Attacking him like this is counter-productive to your cause- as well as being OOC driven.

His Holiness prays to God for a peaceful resolution to the situation in Mexico, that the Mexican people can be spared the bitter fruit of civil strife. Don't appeal to the Holy Church for legitimacy: God is on the side of the peacemaker.

No more order revisions will be accepted beyond this point. I am still accepting NEW orders.

I am sorry, but I don't think I have enough time recently and I will have to drop out. Uruguay is now open.

No more order revisions will be accepted beyond this point. I am still accepting NEW orders.

Sorry, I've been sick the past few days. I'll have orders in this afternoon

Attention devoted, misguided followers:

It has been 90+ days since the orders deadline. In that time, I have reassured people, irresponsibly, that the update was coming - that it was only a matter of time, that "work" was still being put into the update. At a certain level, that was true. But more importantly, it was disingenuous. I put less and less work in over the course of weeks. And the most important parts of the update went untouched.

I know that I promised I wouldn't let this NES die. I know that a lot of you put in a lot of work. I lost the will to continue a long time ago, and it was then that I should have said something - not now, after I have strung you all along. For that, I really apologize.

The truth is I was inadequately prepared to run this NES. I bit off far more than I could chew, and I lacked the will and strength of vision to ensure that my sense of purpose was not clouded.

There will be no final update nor epilogue. Suffice it to say that many of you had ambitions that will go unrealized because of my failure. I also apologize for that.

I have decided to reserve my NESing practices to things which I am better-suited to. Perhaps, in the future, I will revisit this concept. But I can make no promises.

Good luck in all of your NESing endeavors run by better moderators than me.

Closure is better than nothing, Crezth, though I'm excited to see what you'll do in the future. I'll definitely be participating if you ever choose to run another.

To be honest, it seems like only yesterday when the last turnset came in for me so the intermission has never bothered me. Then again events three or four years ago seem like only yesterday as well, so clearly my sense of time is warped :p.

Anyways it was a good NES, and one can perfectly understand that it would be a difficult task to manage. I'd be happy to play in any other NES you intend to host at any point in the future. for the time-being though, I think i'll return to scrutinising Thlayli in EoE on the basis that he is the only interesting player at present in said NES.

for the time-being though, I think i'll return to scrutinising Thlayli in EoE on the basis that he is the only interesting player at present in said NES.

Are you saying I'm...the Most Interesting Satar in the World?

Nah, none of the existing Satar distinguish themselves from the collective horde and its established typologies. I think you are the most interesting player though because most of the rest of the players either...

-

a) fall into a clichéd pattern (Iggy with his liberal federation or myself with the Church, although in my own defence I have limited options thanks to a lack of territory and only picked the Church because I had no idea of where things stood when I joined :p . I'm contemplating jumping ship depending on how the long-turn pans out)

b) don't talk too much and so just exist as a statistical force (Trahana Empire) rather than as nations with an engaging "soul" and vividly described culture and society.

c) lack political initiative and so tend to fall in line with the local dominating player even at the expense of their own interests (the numerous vassals of the Karapeshai who ran into line with very little prompting at all)

-

You have developed an expansive culture, avoided shackling yourself to a pre-set cliché and have innovatively played the political and tactical landscape purely in accordance with your own interests rather than on the mere suggestion of other players. You've gone the added mile as well by being willing to ditch certain sacred cows to get where you want to go which puts you above some of the other players.

Sorry to hear it, Crezth.

I'm just going to say that we waited a year for PerfNES's third update, we can wait just as long for this one, but I understand your reservations.

Top Bottom