what's the game you wish you had played?

civvver

Deity
I was thinking from the fallout 4 threads, man, I wish I had actually played through fallout 3 and new vegas when they were new and I had the time.

What other games do you feel like you missed out on for whatever reason?

Mine are the aforementioned fallout 3 and new vegas, just cus I don't have time for them now and would rather play through newer stuff like inqusition and witcher 3.

Same with zelda twilight princess, I got stuck on one early part and never had motivation to finish. Now same problem as fallout, don't have time, not appealing enough.

Mass effect 1. I really want to do a full character play through from 1-3 but every time I try to get into 1 I get sick of it by like the third major mission. It's just way clunkier than 2 and 3. The problem is I played 2 first so going to the worse mechanics sucks and I already know what happens so there's little motivation, but I wish I had tried them in order.

Ultima series, the old ones like 1-4. These are games I absolutely would've put up with, figured out and adored in my younger days of gaming. But they haven't aged well at all and I feel I missed out on a classic series. It's just too painful to try and play now for me though. I'm really grateful my dad hooked me up with civ 1 and command and conquer and other great stuff that shaped my tastes back in the day, but we missed out on ultima somehow.

Oh no you don't. Fallout 3 was a normal Bethesda bugfest and New Vegas was in an even worse state on launch. Neither are games you really wanted to play early on, later on was much better especially if you got the Complete/GOTY/Ultimate edition with all of the DLC. Patches will be out, mods will be in a fairly complete state. You can still play F3 and NV now and you'll certainly enjoy them.

There are some games I do wish I had played when they came out simply because they haven't aged well are are really just MP games and don't really have players anymore, like Battlefield 1942 and Battlefield 2 respectively.

Yes mp games, I would've loved to have played star wars galaxies before the jedi got all common or whatever happened, that big gameplay patch everyone complains about.

For me it basically revolves around games that i would like but do not really have the time or patience to dedicate myself to them in a meaningful way. So it would have to Europa Universallis. I bought the game, tried to get into it, then stopped. I would also put Fallout 3 in here. I just couldnt get over the abysmal bugs and compatibility problems.

Another set of games i would have liked to have played and got into were Jedi Knight 1 & 2. Again, i have them both, but coming to the series after playing all the mass effects i kind of found them clunky and difficult.

Another mention should go to Galactic Civillizations. I was sort of toying with the idea of getting the new one, but the reviews are a mixed bag and im not really sure whether its worth the effort. But again, it is the sort of game i would probably enjoy.

And finally Planescape Torment. I missed out on it as when it was released i was poor and preferred spending all my money on teenage things. Now a bit older i picked it up on GOG, but found it rather clunky and ugly.

Aside from the aforementioned MP games - I don't really understand the conceit of this thread. Nothing's stopping you from playing these games now.

You mean concept?

Time is the biggest factor stopping me from playing these games now, so maybe this thread should just be me whining about not having 40 hours a week for games any more.

But there's also a big difference between playing ultima when it was released in the 80s vs playing the gog version today. The experience is completely different, it's not a cool new and unique game anymore, now it just looks old and busted to the average someone who has never touched it before.

The closest other comparison I can make is watching a movie in the theater as a kid and then re-watching it at home as an adult. That theater experience and where you were in life at the time is what made the experience great.

Or another example, I have absolutely no desire to watch all of lost on netflix even though I have never seen it. Why? Because it's over and done with and no one talks about it any more. Part of what made it cool was everyone watching it and then discussing at the time, the social aspect. Some games are like that too.

No I mean conceit.

I just don't understand. A good game is good whether it's played 20 years ago or today. I still pick up Sly Cooper or Shadow of the Colossus or Grim Fandango every once in a while. They still friggen rock.

Now something like the first playthrough of Bloodborne? That's something I wish I could have back. Soulsborne games are still great after that first playthrough. But nothing can compare to the sheer terror and awe of the unknown. Of wondering what's around that next corner.

In literature, a conceit is an extended metaphor with a complex logic that governs a poetic passage or entire poem. By juxtaposing, usurping and manipulating images and ideas in surprising ways, a conceit invites the reader into a more sophisticated understanding of an object of comparison.

I don't know how that applies here.

In literature, a conceit is an extended metaphor with a complex logic that governs a poetic passage or entire poem. By juxtaposing, usurping and manipulating images and ideas in surprising ways, a conceit invites the reader into a more sophisticated understanding of an object of comparison.

Not every game ages well, unfortunately. Some control schemes or game designs have seen such vast improvements over the years that something that was cool and seemed easy to use or look at when it came out is no longer easy. It can be quite hard to get into playing some older games.

Off the top of my head, I found BF1942 hard to play even like 5 or 6 years ago when I tried, it's gameplay was quite out of date and FPS games had already improved quite a bit by then. Plus being really an MP game there was hardly anyone playing. Ocarina of Time has poor, outdated controls, hideous N64 3D graphics, and while it was a big leap ahead in game design for it's time it is horribly antiquated by this point. Probably one of the most disappointing gaming experiences I've ever had.

I wish I had an SNES and N64 as a kid. I loved my PS1 and Macintosh games, but I missed out or only got a limited experience at friends houses of so many great games of that era. Even though they are probably still pretty fun to play I wouldn't be too interested in making the effort of playing through all those legendary series of games at this point as I don't have that much of a personal connection with them as many others of my generation have.

I think he means I'm being conceited by disparaging the older titles. Like implying I'm too good for them now or something.

When did you play through ocarina of time Maniacal? It was quite the game when it came out you're right, and I would probably play through the original n64 version again myself since it was one of my favorite games, but I certainly see your point. Why play it now anyway when there are tons of remakes?

Civ2 is another one I probably wouldn't go back to now, but absolutely adored at the time. I don't see why it would be more fun than civ 4 or 5 now.

I kinda wish I had kept my n64 along with mario kart, ocarina of time and smash bros, but I hardly ever played it and it was collecting dust so I sold it all to a friend for $20 a few years ago.

I kinda wish I had kept my n64 along with mario kart, ocarina of time and smash bros, but I hardly ever played it and it was collecting dust so I sold it all to a friend for $20 a few years ago.

I moved in with my old housemate from university a few years ago and we got drunk together and reminisced about the old times playing mario kart. then we went on Ebay and bought an N64 for about £30 with 4 controllers and also bought about 20 games we used to play :lol:

Snowbaord kids still rules in multiplayer though.

Goldeneye and smash bros were my multiplayer games of choice, played them non-stop, but unfortunately now in my 30s it was getting hard to get a group of people over to play lol. And since it's all physically local multiplayer, the games weren't getting much use.

What's really funny to me though is when I think back on playing them I feel like I was around 10 or 11 years old, having a blast, but in reality I was 13 when goldeneye released and 15 when smash bros came out! I was gleefully mashing these games like a little kid while in high school.

Mass Effect series. I still may play them some day.

Civ2 is another one I probably wouldn't go back to now, but absolutely adored at the time. I don't see why it would be more fun than civ 4 or 5 now.
Having the Ai build a city right in the middle of your empire is damn annoying. Some of the scenarios might still be fun though.

I had both expansions, fantasic worlds and I forget the other name. But there was one for master of orion, very similar to the final frontier one for civ4. It was pretty awesome.

Mass effect 2 and 3 are pretty easy to pick up, both are very intuitive and have a lot of action, not a ton of running around. If you aren't a total completionist they can both be finished in a reasonable amount of time too, maybe 20 hours (I spent about 30 on my ME3 playthrough and probably 40 on my ME2 one but a lot of that time is optional dialogue and side missions trying to get full weapon upgrades).

I don't know how that applies here.

In drama and other art forms, the central conceit of a work of fiction is the underlying fictitious assumption which must be accepted by the audience with suspension of disbelief so the plot may be seen as plausible

As I said. If a game is good I'll play it and enjoy it regardless of when it came out.

The Age Of Empires series is horribly dated as far as RTS games go, given the limited number of hotkeys and general ability to multitask. The games are still ridiculously fun. Ocarina and Windwaker are quite dated as far as control schemes go. I still enjoy playing them.

I never got around to playing Fallout: New Vegas or The Witcher series for that matter. I got bored of Icewind Dale back in the day, but I never really played much of Icewind Dale II (or Temple of Elemental Evil).

I've played all the games I wanted to play. Currently I'm playing final fantasy 8 again alongside darkest dungeon.

Warcraft 2 on KALI. If there was a better place to spend 20 bucks to a 12 year old in the mid 90s who loved RTS games, I never found it.

Unfortunately that required a credit card from a parent and trying to explain a pre-battle net internet multiplayer hosting service to mom and dad who didn't understand how computers worked was an impossible task.

Top Bottom