News: TSG117 Announcement

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Civilization 5 - Game of the Month Training Series Game 117
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\//////////////////////////////////////////

Welcome to the 117th game in the GOTM V Training Series! This Series will allow new and old GOTM fans to try out these features from Civ5's expansions and DLCs in a friendly environment. Participants are encouraged to post questions, stories, advice, tricks and failures in the dedicated game threads (described below). Each game will specify the Civ you will play and the Victory Condition to strive for. You can read more about the GOTM and Training Series concept in this thread.

Must Read!
We would like to ask you to abide by our most sacred rule: Don’t replay any turns! If you make a mistake, accept it and try to recover. To ensure fair play and prevent results exclusions, please set your Autosaves to 1 turn. In the event of a computer crash while playing, just reload to the previous save and play it as closely to how you played it the first time. Please let Leif or me know (either in the forums or through Private Message) if you experienced a crash and how many turns you replayed.

Civ V BNW - TSG117 Details:
Player (You): Pedro II - Brazil
Victory Condition: Culture but all other VCs are enabled.
Difficulty: Deity
Civs (including player) /City-States: 8/16
Map Type/Size: Continents/Standard
Game pace: Standard

Game options:
Start - Ancient Era
Ancient Ruins are OFF
Disabled - Quick Combat, Quick Movement

(Regardless of starting options, you may turn on/off Quick Combat/Quick Movement using the game options menu at any time during gameplay.)
Game Version: This game was created in Civ5 Brave New World version 1.0.3.279.
Game Requirements: Wonders of the Ancient World - DLC, Gods and Kings expansion, Brave New World Expansion.

Brazil Unique Attributes:

Spoiler :
UA: Carnival - Tourism output is +100% during Brazil's Golden Ages. Earn Great Artists, Musicians and Writers 50% faster during their Golden Ages.

UU: Pracinha - Replaces the Infantry and earns points towards a Golden Age by defeating enemy units. Requires the discovery of the technology of Plastics to build but does not require a resource.

UB: Brazilwood Camp -Can only be built on a jungle tile and provides additional commerce when worked. With the discovery of the technology of Acoustics, it also generates culture as well. Requires the discovery of the technology of Machinery and requires a jungle tile to build it.

This is where you will start:

Information about threads associated with each individual TSG -- Must Read if you are new to our Game of the Month!
Spoiler :
Please note: If you wish to make a video of your game, please do not post any links to it until after the game submission date has passed. This is because of the potential spoilers that are created by posting before the end date. Thank you for your cooperation.

TSG Announcement thread (this one): This thread is used to announce the game and clarify the settings and rules (don’t be afraid to ask questions). It’s also used to discuss the game before you start, and post problems with opening the save. Please don’t post any game-related info once you open and play the save. Instead use the next thread.

Opening Actions thread: This thread is used to discuss the game's opening decisions and strategies through the first 100 or so turns. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. We encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshot. During the time the game is active, please do not post any information concerning the game outside of the spoiler threads including screen shots, videos, or recorded/live-cast Let's Plays on other websites.

After Actions thread: In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state your victory/loss date (preferably in the post title) and describe your path to glory in this post! Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences. The game will not be closed as such, but after one month, the results will be compiled, and will not necessarily be updated with reports coming in after the finish date.

Results and Congratulations thread: We will create a separate thread with the results at the end of the one month submission period (sorted by date and score). We will issue medals to the top 3 winners (based on earliest date finished). There are no long-term records kept for these results, they are just given out to top finishers to reward their efforts.

File Upload System
We have a game file upload system you can find here. Please use it to upload your completed first attempt by saving the game on the turn after your victory or defeat. (by using the "lemme play one more turn" feature) Please note: you must submit your game on the turn following Victory. If you continue to play, the game overwrites the data and your submission could be rejected by the submission system.

This game runs for a month and ends October 1st, 2015.

The save will be available for download on September 1st, 2015, midnight Central Standard time (UTC -6:00) in the US.

The Save can be found here.

Deity map = NICE

Nice start. Where is the twist? Gonna go out on a limb and suggest moving one tile sw next to mountain. :)
where is the jungle?

Deity/Continents means Sacred Sites is a n00b trap, so don't fall for it. Warfare is the best policy for this one. War heavy, war early, and find that jungle! Autocracy and Prora are a must!

I'd personally love to watch an LP of this one, if anyone so wishes to make one. The deity CV LPs on youtube (Primeval and Acken) are all on pangea i believe. (they were made with the most recent patches/updates.) A lesson in the strategy changes for continents could be interesting and informative.

of course, wait til the submission deadline has expired before uploading, haha, since we mention that in our Announcements.

I'd personally love to watch an LP of this one, if anyone so wishes to make one. The deity CV LPs on youtube (Primeval and Acken) are all on pangea i believe. (they were made with the most recent patches/updates.) A lesson in the strategy changes for continents could be interesting and informative.

of course, wait til the submission deadline has expired before uploading, haha, since we mention that in our Announcements.

I second this request, and may try to record my own game with something like camtasia or raptr or whatever will work to catch my screen. I won't upload it if I embarrass myself though, which is very likely since I have never played as brazil before, but who knows? I won TSG113 by a nose and a half, and I wish I had recorded that game because it was pure entertainment and action from start to finish. I have a feeling this one will be too, especially if the jungle is on the other continent!!! I bet it is, just to mess with us.

Deity/Continents means Sacred Sites is a n00b trap, so don't fall for it. Warfare is the best policy for this one. War heavy, war early, and find that jungle! Autocracy and Prora are a must!
Yeah definitely need to clear the continent quickly. You have to hope that the other continents dont get a huge culture run away. There is some time to find the jungle, but not too long. Looks like its a wide empire.

Clearing the continent before turn 130 ish isn't that easy with Brazil without relevant UU. You generally only have that much time to do it before AI get navigation. It may be easier to play 4 city tradition, spam archaeologists, and go for internet/airport quickly and the UA will carry.

Anyone wanna try the very difficult Peaceful Cultural Victory?

Anyone wanna try the very difficult Peaceful Cultural Victory?

It's only difficult if you have a tough neighborhood...

I recommend moving 1 tile SW to get the Mountain and roll out :)

CV on Continents isn't much harder than Pangaea, you just need to get across the pond quickly enough. Late game with Brazil is all kinds of broken, your tourism during Carnivals post Internet and Airports is just crazy, you don't even need that much Jungle nor many wonders

It's only difficult if you have a tough neighborhood
Sure on easier difficulty levels it is not as hard. This is deity, where construction of any wonder is difficult. This affects base culture production that can be converted to tourism in late game, and also makes important wonders like Parthenon and Sistine also tough. A peaceful cultural victory is more difficult than without because it reduces options.

Actually, it's not really that much different. The Parthenon is generally not really as important as it's written on the box and the thing is, as Brazil, you really *can* win a CV without any wonders, on Deity, reasonably well. What makes it work is even by losing out on the wonders, your Great Artists can produce A LOT of Carnival tourism which can get just mad towards the very end. The key is getting Hermitage out reasonably quickly, and start producing Archaeologists to fill out the Museums. 4 Museums, Oxford, Hermitage, a pair of Landmarks and maybe a couple UUs can give you enough base tourism that Internet, Airports, NWC and Carnival can multiply really really well. Obviously you will want to pick Freedom for the increased Golden Age duration. And that's the short window in which you would want to produce as many Great Musicians as possible, I think 4 is realistic: time one just as the Carnival starts, buy a pair with faith and the 2nd natural one should be up before the current Carnival is out. In that phase of the game, growth is not important, focus all trade routes to other civs for tourism bonuses, buy open borders from all and send diplomats to everyone who has a different ideology (since AIs don't like Freedom much, chances are, they all will be different). If you can do all that in the 250-270 window, you'll be fine even if the last musician is delayed a bit after the Carnival is done.

You will obviously need a really good infrastructure for that, if you win the Games around that period, even better. Don't bother with WF, it's a bit overrated in the sense I'd rather not win if it means nobody else can, i.e. if you can't win, your best bet is that it never passes

For completely peaceful CV, Hermitage, Oxford, and few museums filled with artifacts and landmarks is enough to win for Brazil as long as you can tech to Internet. You might not even need airports. Given time, even 50k AI culture doesn't matter as Carnival is really that strong. Your main difficulty is trying to beat AI SV win on deity, as always. AI is pretty bad at winning CV and diplo, and completely incapable of winning domV. I would argue that warmongering makes it harder to win since it causes you to lose open borders and external trade routes bonus. Losing open borders makes your GM useless unless you DoW anyway.

Now for the optimal time on continent, I'm not sure if it's faster to clear continent (wide liberty) then tech for Astronomy and finish with hotels and maybe internets, or it's better to just go completely peaceful (4 tradition) and push science to get to internet asap. First option also allows for eliminating culture leaders on the 2nd continent.

I would argue that warmongering makes it harder to win since it causes you to lose open borders and external trade routes bonus. Losing open borders makes your GM useless unless you DoW anyway.
Exactly my point. You can lose open borders by other things than war mongering - for example I might not get open borders with cultural leading ai because of ideological differences, or maybe they covet my lands. This may mean that a Dow is necessary to either eliminate opponent or drop concert tours.

My prediction is that the top 5 fastest finishers all use war in late game. Unless of course, someone actually agrees to try my Peaceful Cultural Victory challenge!

I'll do just that then. And I'm pretty sure I'll finish in under 300 turns provided I don't get invaded a whole lot.

Not having OB with the culture runaway is bad, but if they're also under an embargo, that's REALLY bad

I wonder though, if going liberty, we could just grab a great admiral and go meet everyone early to start building tourism asap. If a religion is actually available after that, with buildings, sacred sites could still be a possibility if we are really lucky. The map will have to tell though.

Top Bottom