Official Civ4 S&T Off-Topic Thread

Speaking of politics, I took the political compass test again and I became more left than the last time I took the test which was like 6-7 months ago.

Economic Left/Right: -4.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.64

And this was my last times result. I don't have the image.

Economic Left/Right: -0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.92

As you guys have been showing some interest on Brazil, here comes a picture that took me by surprise (this is on Copacabana, right beside the beach):

This happened on the last protest calling for the impeachment of President Dilma Roussef. I wasn't aware that the monarchists were organized these days. My days of participation are long gone now for several reasons, and I thought that the monarchist movement was dormant once again.

Talking to some friends that happen to be monarchists as well, I learned that these were the right-wing monarchists. They are actually the majority of monarchists, because the heads of the imperial family didn't have the 'royal education' to learn that they should be nonpartisans, instead of officially pending to the right-wing, defending the family values, attacking the LGBT movement, and promoting the participation of monarchists on movements anti-Left while telling them to not participate on the more Leftist manifestations (so many great memories of 2013 and the manifestations all around the country :D, but they told us to not participate, to which I answered: screw you! I will participate and I will get my Imperial Flag with me!). I really can't wait to see this following sentence been made official twice in a row:

The King is Dead! Long Live the King!

For the 2 last right-wing extremists princes that happen to be the current Emperor and the next in line in the Imperial Family. We have hopes that then we will have a nice prince, which I have met already and seems a normal prince, that knows how to act as one.

But one thing makes me happy about all of this. I really like to be on a political movement that can bring right and left wing participants to agree to a common idea. We all want a Monarchy, a Monarchy that may have left or right wing governments formed by the democratic process. A monarchy that simply defends the State while the Government takes care of the administration. If the government is going to be right or left wing, this is for the people to tell on the polls. This movement isn't tied to one side of the political spectrum, but rather embraces both. The republicanism (not the republican party movement of the USA) have this same advantage, but I don't believe in a Republic.

Sorry if I got too political here, but if you guys are planning to visit Brazil, be careful with these manifestations. Just don't get into them if you don't have brazilian friends to help you if something goes wrong. Our police isn't so friendly, and they really don't like foreigners on our manifestations.

Just out of curiosity, what drives you towards the monarchist movement? What do you see in the monarchy that makes you believe they should be supported? And what do you envision their role to be?

Just out of curiosity, what drives you towards the monarchist movement? What do you see in the monarchy that makes you believe they should be supported? And what do you envision their role to be?

To put it simply, I have 3 reasons to support a monarchy rather then a republic for my country:

1 - Our Republic is a disaster since its beginning. Corruption is so common that its even expected from anybody as a natural way of dealing with any stuff by most of the society. It became part of our culture, and that's terrible;

2 - Our historical period as an Independent Monarchy was the only time in history we truly flourished. The 50 years of Dom Pedro II's reign was our Golden Age. If we kept by those standards, we would probably be another Major Player on world politics, something we aren't because of the incompetence of our republican governments throughout the XXth century;

3 - By studying the concepts of a republic and a monarchy, I'm inclined to agree that a lifelong, hereditary and nonpartisan Head of State is far better to do its job then an elected, periodic and completely tied to partisanship one. That's the only major difference that I believe makes a Parliamentary Monarchy better then a Parliamentary Republic.

I won't go deeper here because that could deviate the spirit of this thread, so here are my 3 main reasons, simply put.

On a sort-of related note Spirictum, have you ever watched the anime Legend of Galactic Heroes?
It is absurdly long (the main series alone is 110 episodes!) and quite slow, but, among other themes, there is also the ongoing conflict between democracy and monarchy, and much time is spent debating the merits and flaws of both.

And massive space battles, let's not forget those.

At times it feels more like a documentary. And/or a civ game as well, albeit in space.

This is a much simpler quiz, but is mainly for Americans and is based around American political parties and such. It has more questions than the political compass but they're easier to understand.
https://www.isidewith.com/

Speaking of politics, I took the political compass test again and I became more left than the last time I took the test which was like 6-7 months ago.

Economic Left/Right: -4.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.64

And this was my last times result. I don't have the image.

Economic Left/Right: -0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.92

Ah, I remember that one. I got a -9.57 economic left/right, and a -6.77 libertarian/authoritarian thing.

I've never really felt like a communist though.

Far bottom left corner would be more like anarchist. Communist would be far upper right.

Far bottom left corner would be more like anarchist. Communist would be far upper right.

Maybe up up and away, but not to the right. The upper right hand corner is more for right wing fascists. Depending on the interpretation of communism, it also means no authority and no state to control the people, which means that they'd be down in the bottom left.

Unless we're talking Stalinist Communism, at which point, yeah, that's authoritarian as hell.

Oops, I meant to say far upper left, I wasn't thinking straight, my bad. Also, when I say communism, I mean how every single communist country has been run, which is far upper left.

Last time I did the isidewith test, I got Bernie. Took it again and I still got Bernie. Almost 100% actually, but we disagreed on some issues.

For example, I feel that we do not need to federally require labeling of GMO foods, and we need to increase our support of Palestine.

This is my political compass btw.

I'm in the lower left portion of the middle section.

Has anyone here heard of Markiplier? He's a youtuber I absolutely love that plays games, he's among the most popular youtubers. Anyways, he often did live sketches with a youtube group known as Cyndago, consisting of Matt, Ryan, and Daniel. It was announced yesterday by Markiplier in a video I'll post in a second that Daniel Kyre had died after going into a coma due to a failed suicide attempt. No words can express the way I feel, he was almost a part of me it seemed.

Link to video.

Spoiler :

Check out the Cyndago channel, they have good stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Cyndago

Top Bottom