Civilizations Iv Bts Crash on steam

cochiorsebi

Chieftain
So when i start a new game the game crashes when the loading bar arrives at setup map it doesnt show an error message it just crashes i already played quite a bit before without any problems.I should also add that i have the 3.19 patch and the vanilla civ iv works.

That is why I always buy my games on disk. I can specify directly how they are installed and not use Steam's enveloper.

D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam and my civ 4 is here:
D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword

That might explain why you have problems, because "Program Files" has special security settings. When I installed the Steam client for Civ V, I placed it in a different folder entirely, e.g. D:\STEAM.

If you can uninstall steam, and then reinstall STEAM into another folder by going 'custom' install or whatever option that that gives you the opportunity to select a different folder. You will likely have to download and re-install your games, but it may be worth it.

This might fix your problems.

Since relatively recently Steam has the capability to install games to different drives. So easier option in this case might be to "delete local content" for civ4, and then install it again. At the beginning of install, Steam gives an option to Create a new "Steam Library". So cochiorsebi, you could do that and put that "Library" folder on C:\ e.g.

If that doesn't help, i'd consider setting a few config options in
My\ Games/Beyond\ the\ Sword/CivilizationIV.ini

HidePythonExceptions = 1
; Create a dump file if the application crashes
GenerateCrashDumps = 0

; Enable the logging system
LoggingEnabled = 0

--> Above values are the defaults. Change them to the opposite. I don't know if it helps if you send 2k support a Crashdump file. Probably not, but might be worth a try.

I don't use Steam, but here are a bunch of links/quotes that you could use to help with troubleshooting your issue.

The other thought is to ask you to provide as much info about your setup as possible to help people with recognizing what your problem may be... what Operating System you are using, whether you are logging in as an Administrator user, whether you have tried the suggestion of moving your Steam Library (or setting up a new Steam Library) outside of Program Files, etc.

Anyway, hopefully something in these links/quotes will be of use:
Info for the Hall of Fame Mod... there might be something useful in there for you to check out.

just to make things a little bit more complicated, but add some layer of flexibility which I didn't knew before some tries on my side...

Steam allows multiple "libraries" or better said, you can have more directories with games for steam games.

for example on my desktop since I am using SSD and have SATA HDD backup I have in steam actually 2 different libraries (directories), one is the 'standard' program files(x86)/steamapp etc etc, the other is created on my sata backup (in my case it's something like e:\steam games...)

you can relatively easily move games between the libraries without downloading the game all the time, since if you "install game" the steam app looks into the requested library (btw at the time of install you choose which library you want to use) and if it finds that the files are already downloaded it just checks them.

So I occasionally migrate games between fast and slow disk according to my current need.

I guess having library separate from the main installation folder of steam would solve Chris's problems from the get go.

Another thing about your solution which I really don't like is that the "users" directory is not guaranteed by M$, since it occasionally creates new profiles (especially in domains) and you will have to move your files from old profile to new profile...
I would never use "standard" users subdirectory for anything important...

Success! Installing Steam in /Users/[username]/ worked! I ran CivBeyondSword.exe as an administrator in Windows XP SP2 compatibility mode and everything is fine.

Thanks for all your help!

Chris

Have you configured Steam so that you are running it with administrative privileges?

Every time that you try to open Civ, Windows should ask:

"Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer?
Program name: Steam Client Bootstrapper
Verified publisher: Valve"

IIRC, this caused me some issues, because the troubleshooting guide only mentions changing the permissions for Civ itself.

Almost forgot,
For newcomers: right now Last BTS version on Steam been updated, so it's not 3.19. You Should do something with Beta version there to downgrade it back to 3.19.
Here are the instructions on how to revert your STEAM install.

This is 100% folder permission error. Run as Admin and give full permission to everyone for BTS with all subfolders and Saves folders should help here.

I addition, on Win7 Run in compatipability mod for XP Service pack 2 /3 (Try both!) could do the trick. Sometimes it seem to depend on current phase of moon...

Solved in the end!

Well, it's kind of irritating. Is it Steam or Windows 8 or both?
After years with WinXP I am with Windows 8 now (Once you get rid of Metro with either Start8 of Classic Shell, it's ok actually).

Now I get the same error window as previous users.

And same warning, when starting new BUFFY game without anything wrong in settings screen.

Uninstalled BTS and Steam from C:\Program Files (x86). Created new folder on drive E:\Games\ with all permissions and installed Steam and BTS there.
I run as Administrator but just in case granted Full Control permission to Everyone to Steam folder and sub-folders.
Cleared this stupid Read Only attribute in folders properties (which comes back on its own BTW).
Made the same with C:\Users\...\Documents\My Games folder.

Buffy path:

looks perfectly right.

Did not help.

Even more, there is only 1 login on my PC - administrator - and it's me, but ok, I go to compatibility and check run as Administrator.
Then, in game I go to Advanced -> load mod -> BUFFY 3.19.003 and get this nice thingy:

You get this, after applying any of run as Administrator, or Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows XP Service Pack 2 / 3.

Hilarious (NO)!!! Either Steam closing BTS to slowly, or Windows 8 starting BTS too fast, but indeed, new game process try to start while previous process haven't yet been terminated. This happens with trying load any mod, not just BUFFY.

What did I miss? Cuz right now I consider to just download non Steam version of Civ4 Complete from Torrent. After all I paid for this game long ago, but can not use it properly for some stupid reason. BTW there is minor problem with Steam version where double clicking save file in windows explorer does not know what to do with the file, you need specify open with path to BTS.exe, then it will open the game but you will need to load save manually.

While typing this post I applied Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows 7 as last resort.

And it worked!

:whew:

I hope this will help future generations. :lol:

Top Bottom