Official System Requirements

So is it more like "Damn you Sid Meier for forcing me to buy a 1200 computer to play your game" or more like "Thank you Sid Meier for providing me with an excuse to buy the 1200 computer I want?"

Athlon II X4 630 Propus @2.8GHz ($99)
use a MSI 760GM-E51 motherboard+G.SKILL 4GB RAM Combo ($129)
PowerColor Radeon HD 5670 512MB ($89)
Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound ($10)
Antec Three Hundred+Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W Continuous Power ($100)
BOOM, crushes recommended easily, but $80 extra you could get Phenom II X4 965 BE @3.4GHz, it is a much better CPU

I'm a bit surprised to see dual core as minimum simply due to the fact that civ usually goes a bit broader in audience. I expect that'll cause a lot of heartbreak. My machine will eat Civ 5 for a snack and I could never game on an ancient puter...but some people don't get to upgrade as often.

My god, now finally all the pointless guessings and whinings will stop.

One can dream but I seriously doubt it. ;)

I meet the recommended :)

Also nice to see it was posted here before Facebook

I actually noticed it on facebook first sometime this afternoon....

Looks like many of my friends won't be getting to play Civ5 because of the dual core thing. Although I suppose that's a good thing for people who have it. My laptop is just over the requirements so looks like I'll have to start saving for a new laptop or upgrade for Civ6:lol:. I've got to say though my laptop has amazing quality and speed for the prise it was.

I don't understand what the big deal is about requiring a multi-core processor, it's not like it's a brand new technology or anything, my laptop is dual core and it's 4 years old, in fact it's technically a second generation dual core. Not one person I know has a single core computer, and none of us are exactly rich either.

Greg, can you give us some indication of what kind of components that is required to play it on max settings and on a high resolution? And is GPU more or less important than CPU? And would more than 4 gb ram improve the performance of the game much (in late game)?

I don't understand what the big deal is about requiring a multi-core processor, it's not like it's a brand new technology or anything, my laptop is dual core and it's 4 years old, in fact it's technically a second generation dual core. Not one person I know has a single core computer, and none of us are exactly rich either.

Really? I don't remember seeing dual cores common till about 3 years ago.

Market penetration in your location must've been terrible.

Greg, please answer the question some of us has asked:

Can we run the game with a GOOD single-core CPU (P4 3.0 GHz or the like)?
The demo, for instance...?

or won't it even start running...?

If it does run, I highly doubt it will run at a playable level, even with multi-threading enabled it won't handle tasks meant for multiple cores optimally, but I could be wrong.

Just seems to me that the minimum probably says dual-core for a reason. Best test is to try the demo when it's released.

If this talk about scalable performance indicates that the engine is optimized for 4+ cores, then this could result in a huge overhead that would choke a single core. I doubt it, though. A Pentium 4 with hyperthreading enabled is considered a dual-core by the operating system, so it would at least start up CiV, even if they lock out single cores :)

I understand that you will not be able to play the game at all on the computer without internet connection as it will require an activation.
and I hate Steam and now I am being forced to install & use it :mad:
:sad:

I understand that you will not be able to play the game at all on the computer without internet connection as it will require an activation.
and I hate Steam and now I am being forced to install & use it :mad:
:sad:

Internet connection in 2010 isn't exactly science fiction.

Internet connection in 2010 isn't exactly science fiction.
1) yes, don't be so self-centered or ignorant - in some parts of the world it still is. I could say it requires 10mb conenction because those exists in Korea/Japan, so why not
2) don't like protection that forces me to use something extra, install some crappy software, tracking me etc. - leading to mega-crap protection ubisoft-drm-style when you cannot play without 70kb/s+ constant connection
3) the protection will be cracked in matter of days after release anyway so it will affect only honest legal buyers
4) i could understand having steam to play online but it has no understanding for home/single player, and it is not better protection than having simple key

1.) it isn't in London

2.) wat

3.) umm OK

4.) Play Offline then

1. I am not selfish, thinking about myself only
2. Allowing companies to put more "protection stuff" in the games is leading to terrible solutions, such as DRM invented by Ubisoft (you have to have minimum 70kb/s constant internet connection speed to play even on singleplayer, slow connection or drop of the connection is resulting in game quitting)
4. yes, but to play offline Civ5 you still have to activate it online ... rofl

I've preordered and am happy with the system specs. I'm running an 18 month old self built system comprising;

Dual Core Intel 2.1Ghz
4Gb RAM
Radeon 5770 1Gb

More stuff obviously, but I think a lot of people are forgetting one of the other important aspects when they're throwing their specs around. What resolution will you be playing at?

My 24" Samsung has a native res of 1920*1080 and my system handles anything I throw at it at full detail (albeit the latest game I have is Empire: TW).

My guess is I'll be able to handle the game at full res until perhaps the middle ages, then I can probably just drop the resolution down a notch and keep all the fancy effects on.

I'm not sure whether running Windows 7 64-bit makes a difference over running on 32-bit...if it's been optimised for 64-bit processing then that'll be another boost that you won't get if you're running Civ V on Windows 32-bit even if you have a 64-bit processor.

Top Bottom