[BTS] Ethnically Diverse Units v3.0

well I submitted it around 8:30 pm central time last night and as of 12:20 they are still pending... I may see if there is another site I can upload it to that is faster.

Looks good so far, very cool infact, but i noticed the Praetorian for the Romans may be in the wrong slot. Its in a swordsman slot and not the Praetorian at least in world builder, so not sure if it would be right in the game. The Praetorian button just puts the regular one down. Worth checking out. Only bug i see so far. Look great!

Any chance you will make this a Modular Mod using the MXMLL?
Probably not, I just can't find the time to look into modular modding.

Question:

(two actually)

1. Are you planning to include more ethnic groups, like South Asian/Indian for example?

2. Are you planning to include ethnic units for more later units, like Muskets and Cavalry (i don't think modern is necesssary, but perhaps reinessance units?)?
1. Maybe, I do have plans for more ethnic groups, just don't know which ones exactly.

2. Not likely.

I'm still having my game crash with no explanation even after downloading the xml fix - unfortunately, I really don't have a way of pinpointing what it is. I'm attaching the saved game if that will help someone figure out what it is.
I'm gonna check that file but I'm stumped. I made sure to load all the units to verify that none are missing art or cause crashes. Is it possible that you have something in CUstomAssets that conflicts with the mod?

Looks good so far, very cool infact, but i noticed the Praetorian for the Romans may be in the wrong slot. Its in a swordsman slot and not the Praetorian at least in world builder, so not sure if it would be right in the game. The Praetorian button just puts the regular one down. Worth checking out. Only bug i see so far. Look great!

fixed that and added the japan units just now, so i will test them in world builder and re upload.

1. Maybe, I do have plans for more ethnic groups, just don't know which ones exactly.

here are some gorups i wouold advise doing:

- South Asian/Indian - for India and Khmer, possibly Persia
- Egyptian - Bakuel has made a TON of beautiful units for this area, you could use it for Egypt, maybe Carthage, Ethiopia?
- Mediteranean - if not Egyptian, this could be for Carthage, Spain, and Portugual (i.e., the unit style you used in your earlier version for Carthage and Spain)
- Separation of Meso-American and Native AMerica - having Native AMericans and AMericans get their own unit types
- Slavic - for Eastern European civs, like Russia, Vikings, maybe Byzantines.

Polynesian might be a nice one to add, even though Polynesia isn't in, many modders will enjoy including it in there polynesian/moari/hawaiian/tongo related mods.

Also you might want to consider ethnically diverse buildings and cities.

Also the Grenediers all look like stuck up brits! :p some diversity there might be needed.

Let's see, what can be put together and what not...

Egyptian style is pretty unique, at least till somewhere in the Industrial era.
Spain and Portugal can form a single unitstyle.
France, England and the Netherlands can have pretty similar units too. I suppose America fits in this category too.
Russia, Vikings and Germans can fit in one style, for sure in the earlier ages.
Natives, Incan, Aztec and Maya can have minor differences until the renaissance, but from then on are the same style.
Arabia and Ottomans could be one, with Persia, Sumeria and Babylon as a second middle easters style.
India starts at its own, but joins the middle east units quite a bit around the renaissance.
Mongols, China, Korea, Japan and Khmer have an on-and-off joint style. For instance Japan in its medieval era with the samurai is unique, while the Khmer might be different too in its ancient/classic times.
That leaves the Romans, Greeks, Byzantynes and Carthagians.

Probably not, I just can't find the time to look into modular modding.

I am actually right now trying to turn this into a modular mod, will let you know what progress I am making.

EDIT : worked nicely, there is some stuff which, at least due to my other changes, is not pluggable but a base requirement. All ethnic artstyles themselves are easily plugable though (each one separately). If interested, let me know.

Course not. But neither is France named after the majority of its inhabitants at the time of its emergence (namely the Celts), but instead the country is named after its conquerors, the Franks. Same with Russia. :p :p

Rabbit, you may already know this but I'll post it here just to make sure. Version 3.14 crashes to the desktop whenever somebody makes an African pikeman. I haven't looked at the xml at all, but I verified this by going to world builder and plopping down a pikeman for Zara Yaqob . . . instant CTD.

Rabbit, you may already know this but I'll post it here just to make sure. Version 3.14 crashes to the desktop whenever somebody makes an African pikeman. I haven't looked at the xml at all, but I verified this by going to world builder and plopping down a pikeman for Zara Yaqob . . . instant CTD.
Hmmm, I just did that and there was no problem. Has anyone else encountered this error?

I added a link to modular version of the mod to the first post. Thanks to mamba for compiling it.

Hmmm, I just did that and there was no problem. Has anyone else encountered this error?

I added a link to modular version of the mod to the first post. Thanks to mamba for compiling it.

I have no idea what is going on now. I went back to world editor using a fresh game and tried it again for both Zara and Shaka and it works fine . . .

But I have a few savegames with Zara where if i put down one of his pikemen the game tanks immediately. I have no idea what is causing the difference . . .

If it helps the EDU files are the only things I have in CustomAssets, and I'm running version 3.02 plus Solver's patch. Still, if nobody else is having trouble with this perhaps it is something on my end afterall?

Well, I haven't tested it for the particular combination of version 3.02 and Solver's patch but I doubt those would directly affect the mod. It sounds like you have one of those random crashes that don't seem to have a good reason... just bad luck I guess :)

Well I've added all these African units to my CusomAssets. I've also added musketmen for the styles as well. What do you think? :)

I've also been thinking of using Chugginator's worker(s), and maybe giving that horsearcher an actual bow (plus, to make it look more different from the Numidian Horseman)

They look great! The Africans have caught up with the other art styles now.

I agree with the horse archer situation- it's a bit odd to have a Horse Archer unit without a bow...

They look great! The Africans have caught up with the other art styles now.

I agree with the horse archer situation- it's a bit odd to have a Horse Archer unit without a bow...

Well I've re-equipped that horseman with a bow, and used an alternate worker. Which do you think is better, this one or the old one?
Spoiler :

And here are the muskets I've added:
Spoiler :

What do you think Rabbit? :D

I prefer the old worker and the new horse archer ;) the knights look too arabian for my taste though.

Top Bottom