Problem with turn time?

voskhod

Chieftain
I've begun to notice a wee problem with this mod. It's very slow. As in turns often times take more than an entire minute just to process. I know this isn't because of my computer, I've got a pretty high end PC - I can run Crysis 1 smoothly on all but the highest graphics settings for instance.
I'm basically forced to play with maps being Tiny or Duel sized, and I can never play with more than 8 AI players at the same time. Playing on a map bigger than Tiny or with more than 8 AI players usually causes the game to slow down to an intolerable snails pace after about 200-300 turns (on marathon difficulty, mind you). Any idea whats causing this and how I can fix it?

Do note this is a problem I've had with pretty much all versions, 32, 33, 34, and now 35.

C2C is not particularly graphics intensive. It doesn't matter if you can play a graphics intensive game at max settings at high framerate. A high end graphics card has no practical effect on C2C (or Civ). Once you get to a mid range card you can play on any setting available (except maybe 4K resolution). I can tell you that while playing C2C a GeForce GTX 750ti rarely hits 50% utilization, and is usually under 40%, even while spending most of its time running at a reduced graphics clock rate (I think the only time it tops 50% is when the clock speed drops a little low).

What matters is the speed of the CPU, especially its speed for single threaded workloads, and to a much lesser extent the memory speed. Lots of cores is worse than fewer cores that are each faster. C2C's DLL can make use of 4 cores at times, but that is only for a few specific things (animal spawning and maybe one other thing that is not coming to mind right now). The Civ4 game engine itself makes full use of 1 core and some use of a second one (mostly for something related to graphics, apparently).

So the cure is to have a CPU that is as fast as possible at processing single threaded things, ideally with 4 actual cores. I expect the winner in an actual comparison would be the Intel i7-4790K (4 cores with hyperthreading, base clock of 4 GHz with turbo up to 4.4 GHz - very speedy, and expensive). Matching that with some fairly speedy low latency memory using both channels would help a little too.

C2C's DLL can make use of 4 cores at times, but that is only for a few specific things (animal spawning and maybe one other thing that is not coming to mind right now).
For completeness sake (though it does not matter much for this topic):
The property solver is multithreaded and then there is the city processing using a multithreaded pipelining.

More on topic:
If turn times are an issue, there is the possibility of starting a single player game as multiplayer game instead (and not having anyone else join). That way the AI moves simultaneously to you and also its calculations are spread out over the time you use for your own turn. Of course this means that moving something fast at the start of the turn can matter which might not be to everyone's liking.

More on topic:
If turn times are an issue, there is the possibility of starting a single player game as multiplayer game instead (and not having anyone else join). That way the AI moves simultaneously to you and also its calculations are spread out over the time you use for your own turn. Of course this means that moving something fast at the start of the turn can matter which might not be to everyone's liking.

So how can you do this? I notice when I start a multiplayer game with only AIs, the "simultaneous turns" option is greyed out and I can't enable it.

So how can you do this? I notice when I start a multiplayer game with only AIs, the "simultaneous turns" option is greyed out and I can't enable it.
Does not seem to be the case with me, I just checked (I used Direct IP hosting as example).
Do you use the old Civ4 version or the new Steam version with the changed multiplayer code?

And you are setting yourself as a human player right? Even greyed out, Simultaneous Turns should be defaulting to ON.

Top Bottom