TerraForm -- a map editor for CIV dos

Try clicking the right and left mouse buttons together at the same time. It just crashed for me yesterday that way. :)
I need a lot more information. What function were you in? Can you reproduce it?

I was able to get the following
Run-time error ‘400’:
Form already displayed; can’t show modally

By pressing both mouse buttons simultaneously on the main map in City Edit mode. Looks like some sort of race condition I would have thought that the second button would have been processed after the City form had exited.

Is this the error or is there another one?

In TerraForm (VB6) when a mouse button is clicked in City Edit mode I start the City Edit form to show it modally. To lock out the main form while the user edits the city data. It must have been serendipity as I had open 10 notepad, 4 VB6, half a dozen Windows Explores, may ten Internet Explorers and WinZip or two. When I opened another copy VB6 to look at this error I got an out of memory error from XP. I ended something but not much and went about debugging the double click bug. I guess my machine was so loaded up that it was able to queue the two mouse clicks before the first got a chance to execute. I was able to set a breakpoint and trap the two calls and see them in the stack. I fixed the bug by dismissing the second call if I got an error 400 - Form already displayed; can't show modally, but now with very little running I can't get the two mouse clicks to que. I assume because the sub form has had a chance to start running and it locks out the main form. This makes sense to me because the other scenario made none. Anyway the code to trap the error 400 is in place and will be in the next build.

Jpciv try to recreate the bug with an machine that is not heavily loaded and see what happens.

Eight hours later…
Now putting a breakpoint on the error handler I can recreate the bug at will. Even with a few milliseconds between clicks. At the break my stack looks like the following

Code:
Call Stack
TerraForm.frmTerraform.cityEdit
TerraForm.frmTerraform.imgBz_MouseUp
[<Non-Basic Code>]
TerraForm.frmTerraform.cityEdit
TerraForm.frmTerraform.imgBz_MouseUp

I need a faster PC

In TerraForm (VB6) when a mouse button is clicked in City Edit mode I start the City Edit form to show it modally. To lock out the main form while the user edits the city data. It must have been serendipity as I had open 10 notepad, 4 VB6, half a dozen Windows Explores, may ten Internet Explorers and WinZip or two. When I opened another copy VB6 to look at this error I got an out of memory error from XP. I ended something but not much and went about debugging the double click bug. I guess my machine was so loaded up that it was able to queue the two mouse clicks before the first got a chance to execute. I was able to set a breakpoint and trap the two calls and see them in the stack. I fixed the bug by dismissing the second call if I got an error 400 - Form already displayed; can't show modally, but now with very little running I can't get the two mouse clicks to que. I assume because the sub form has had a chance to start running and it locks out the main form. This makes sense to me because the other scenario made none. Anyway the code to trap the error 400 is in place and will be in the next build.

Jpciv try to recreate the bug with an machine that is not heavily loaded and see what happens.

Just rebooted last night, and can't reproduce the error, but I'm pretty sure it was when I had at lease a dozen apps running. I usually only reboot once or twice a week.

I'll keep trying as the week goes on, and will post the particulars if I can crash it again!

What language can be included to further encourage individuals not to spam multiple topics in an attempt to gain access to TerraForm? Because I receive email notifications for replies in topics in which I have posted and have posted in the majority of threads since 2007, my notifications go haywire whenever someone posts five or more "#1" or "hello" type messages. I know the conditions are already clearly stated but it obviously doesn't have enough impact if passersby can grasp the "five post" rule but subsequently ignore the "no spamming" part. Is it possible to make a "house rule" that such behavior will lead to bans and have someone enforce it?

For me, it's not merely a matter of spam but I get a little excited when I receive an email notification from CivFanatics, especially from multiple topics, and do not like the feeling of being let down upon checking replies. I am sure others feel the same.

IMHO, this should be a STICKY (at the top of this forums) if CF endorses it, then why not?

:goodjob:_________________________________ :goodjob:
DACK
:goodjob:_________________________________ :goodjob:

Huh, accomplished heroic deed, I read this thread from start to finish!

And that led to that, I applied for the forum, as it could have been expected! :hatsoff:

I reviewed my memory banks and numerous records for good flash drive solution for a time killer - and end my chose exactly on CivWin. I had very funny week with little time to sleep, and fully remembered how addicted I was to Civ1 some 17yrs ago. But I remembered also a my nice heavily hacked 'adjusted' version of Civ, with 2moves settlers, 2food per irrigation, slightly different terrain and special resources and so on and on...

It was DOS for sure, I sometime mastered almost every bit of *.sve file and most of data fields at Civ.exe, even some features of *.map in hex editor, but that was long, long time ago, and I almost giving up programming since then.

So I found this site - in hope someone already wrote an editor for it, but...

Found :eek: THIS TERRAFORM !!! :eek:

I got a copy instantly, and as soon as I get to my old city apartment antique gaming comp (it will not happen until next month), I generate key request and then go to find a comp with net connection to send it to Dack! And the madness of Civ will start over again!!!
:lol: :rotfl: :lol:

Newer seen it yet, but what I read convinced me that it's probably the best ever utility written for CivDOS!

Again, :hatsoff: Dack , :hatsoff: You even resolved mistery of AI settling habits!
Is there opportunity to control these terrain worth values manually? I always had a daydream for a scenario, where I can with some certainty to control where AI buld city's!

Thanks for the invested work, in such a pointless exercise as utility for 20-year old DOS game!

Is there opportunity to control these terrain worth values manually? I always had a daydream for a scenario, where I can with some certainty to control where AI buld city's!
This! Please, Dack, in next version of Terraform let us to manually control the city spot values?:scan:
Thanks for the invested work, in such a pointless exercise as utility for 20-year old DOS game!
Yeah, thanks for Dack, but it's not pointless! It's just awesome!;)

TerraForm and CIV$ probably see more use than 90% of the stuff on SourceForge.

Moderator Action: Note to new users posting in this thread -
Because of these rules you will not be able to request a key until you meet the 5 days / 5 posts rule.

This does not mean spam with 5 posts in a row so you can get a registration key. It is common for ad bots to do this and you may find yourself mistaken for a bot and permbanned. Not to mention, this is also considered spam. Doing so can warrant a warning or an infraction.

Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Sweet. Thanks much for the intervention, Chieftess. It's especially frustrating when it's five posts in five topics that I happen to be subscribed to.

Dack, it semms to be a great program! :goodjob: CIV is game "number one" I've ever played!
I used to play CIV from school time (1998). But TERRAFORM will help to discover another angle for It!

Boris,
Russia

Hello Dack. I'm trying to open the new version, but get a message: "Component TABCLT32.OCX or one of it's dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid". What does this mean, and what shall I do?

Hello Dack. I'm trying to open the new version, but get a message: "Component TABCLT32.OCX or one of it's dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid". What does this mean, and what shall I do?] [sic]

1) So that we are on the same page verify that the download file is TerraForm096.zip

2) What version of Windows are you using?

I had a moment of “have I lost my mind” when I realized that you had transposed the LT in TABCTL32.OCX

3) Verify that TABCTL32.OCX is on your PC by doing a Search

My XP has it at C:\WINNT\system32\TABCTL32.OCX
Code:
1. Login as administrator
2. Right-click the ocx-file (search in systemfolders to find it)
3. Advanced security rights: 
4. Add the Standard User (he wasn't listed)
5. Give the standard user Full Control over the OCX-file; check all the boxes

Look for the file, right click on it, under the security tab
Permissions should be allow

Under the version tab
File version 6.1.97.82
Description: TABCTL32 OLE Control DLL
Date: February 23, 2004

Note: I have not seen this particular problem before, but let me know what results you get.

Note: I have not seen this particular problem before, but let me know what results you get.

It was no problem after some windows-update-magic. After recently reinstalling Windows I didn't do all the updates immediately. So there we have it!

Searching the internet, there was great information about this specific problem. And after a quick overview on the matter, it was clear that it pays off to do some updating.

Looking forward to using TerraForm again. It really brings new opportunities to the game. I think I'll first, when I have time, create a world where enemies and barbarians can't reach you by sea. This way I can find out how well one really can play on emperor. My brother had conscription BC on earth as the Babylonians. I think we can at least beat that!

I don't know if I've said this already sometime before, but thank you again for making this wonderful program, Dack.

I did notice that before, my computer only displayed about 12.5 squares (horizontally) by 17 squares (vertically) on the large map screen, but after I recently reinstalled my Windows 7 OS, this problem seems to be fixed. The problem was probably on my end. I don't know what happened there, but it seems to be fixed now.

The only thing I'm worried about now is whether or not I will be able to receive another registration key so soon.

EDIT: I apologize for emailing you if it turns out that I am unable to receive another registration key.

EDIT2: Even if I did thank you before, I want to do it again.

How can I send a mail to Dack to validate my Terra form?

New member Restrictions
Newly registered members may not use signatures, e-mail forum members, post visitor messages, use the private messaging system or join or create social groups, until they have been members for 5 days AND have at least 5 posts.

Top Bottom