TerraForm -- a map editor for CIV dos

Ah well I am downloading it since so many of you like it and claim it's not a cheat. So be it. I hope I can use it.

Peace!!!

I sincerely hope this map editor works for me as well...looks great here as the Earth map!

The only downside I see to this editor is that I have to WAIT to freakin save it....oi vey that sucks since I really wanna test out what it's gonna do without having everything be for naught......plus making that whole China Scenario is sitting there waiting for me ^_^

Ok I finally got the registration done and played around

Playing as the barbarians is actually possible I know...it's just like you'd expect...you play like the barbarians are....what I did was I first built them a town in the editor and placed it on the map so when you go in you dont get the you will return thing...

Next up I played around with a few things and switched my unit off militia to Legion *think that's it* and it's the only 2 options I have currently. May have to hack some of the techs in there for them to be somewhat able to compete

Now here's when it gets interesting
besides having NO MONEY and being able to not make money taking cities....you actually take control of the barbs that show up when people unleash them. IE 8 at a time and whatnot

furthermore I had a barb ship show up with two units and a diplomat. First thing I did was head to the nearest citie *ZULU's* and got a little cutscene of us talking and signed a peace treaty with them. *so that's possible which is nice to know* I also noticed you can steal tech from people so i'll play with that later too and see if anything comes up

So far the only units i've had to use were
ships
diplomats
legion?
militia
calvary

now if I can find ways to make money I might be able to actually use those diplomats to convert units over. But that might involve hacking the game or just giving me a set amount to play with like 2000-6000

Again it's a nice twist on the game since it's basically keep a city and hold it and you'll be fine. Just don't expect to get another city unless you buy out someone's settler with the awesome diplomat...problem with that is... no money :\

Marvelous editor! Thanks! I was looking for that excel editor and found Dack's. Love this game since 1993 (I think).

new users since last post (noushina)

41) adamros 22Feb07
42) Sverrik 22Feb07
43) MagicKnight0233 25Feb07
44) Mackus 25Feb07
45) xiaoyu 01Mar07
46) Alek83 01Mar07
47) jhermitage 05Mar07
48) gwidon 11Mar07
49) XDrake 11Mar07
50) Sprite0 13Mar07
51) civmaster6484 13Mar07
52) Whelkman 18Mar07
53) terminal2k 23Mar07
54) OrigamiGuy 26Mar07
55) DeeMan 26Mar07
56) tJmarshal 26Mar07
57) ghmitche 26Mar07
58) kartikthegreat 27Mar07
59) Vlide 27Mar07

*(still) waiting for a TF Manual / FAQ*

If I may ask, what OS is this designed for (IE what version of Windows does this program works well with)?

If I may ask, what OS is this designed for (IE what version of Windows does this program works well with)?

The current version 2.00.56 was compiled and tested using XP Service Pack 2. It should run in any 32bit windows environment (98,98Se,ME,W2K,XP). I'm not a 100 percent sure but I think all the users of the program are using XP, with one exception a 98SE user.

Following from post 4
5) Windows ME/98/95
If you are using something other than XP note the following:
No testing was done on Windows ME/95/98 for version 2. No guarantees that this program will work on anything but a XP machine. (version 1 did work on Windows 98 ver 4.10.1998)
TerraForm uses the Windows Installer (MSI files) to install. In XP and Win 2000 unZIP the downloaded file and double click on the TerraForm.msi file. In ME and 98SE (ver 4.10.2222) it may install the same. In 98 (ver 4.10.1998) and 95 you will have to install the following.
1) Windows Installer 2.0 Redistributable for Windows 95, 98, and Me click here Look down the page and download InstMsiA.exe
2) Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) CORE 1.5 (Windows 95/98)click here
Windows 98SE needs WMI.

Just requested the key, waiting.. waiting.. argh i wannapplay ! :D

I checked the version without the save function (means no key) and i cant find the option to add good resource spots like gold mountains or fishies whatsoever.
How can I add them?

GReetings dEUS

You don't "add" resources (and huts); you generate favorable patterns from the "Special Resources & Huts" screen.

so I cant put 4 gold mines for 1 city? :)

Sure, but you must manipulate resource generation in a manner such that four special tiles lie within the desired area. From there it's a simple matter to convert whatever terrain to mountains. Also fun is using four oasis squares to breed a level 46 city.

Dack,

Assuming you accept requests, is it feasible to include functionality that exports map contents to PNG, GIF, or other indexed file format? Thank you.

*ooops*

i had to recover my system with an older backup
and found a 2.0.49 terraform version (at old backup)
de-installed it
installed with TerraForm 2.0.56.msi
did copy the (old) TerraForm.ini from C:\Program*******\TerraForm
into the folder
and did edit / point it to
the correct path of the "GoldBerg0002.TFK" key (within TerraForm.ini)

QUESTION:

i found a
tfile.txt in the TerraForm folder
after de-installing the older version 2.0.49, before installing 2.0.56
can i delete this?

when/why does terraform create such a tfile.txt ?

A TERRAFORM FAQ IS IN NEED.

Quotes from GoldBerg in Green

QUESTION:
i found a
tfile.txt in the TerraForm folder
after de-installing the older version 2.0.49, before installing 2.0.56
can i delete this?

Yes

when/why does terraform create such a tfile.txt ?

This file is an old test file produced by an earlier version of TerraForm. It looks like I was using it to test some feature and failed to remove it from the released version.

A TERRAFORM FAQ IS IN NEED

Some sort of FAQ and a manual would be nice.

Notice: I will not send a TerraForm Key to any one who has a vulgar username or an email address that contains one. The request will be ignored. You will receive no response or warning from me.

See Forum Rules

or ask a moderator if your not sure.

Sorry Dack I've bed-ridden these past several weeks and off the internet.
I did get you mail but after unzipping TerraForm couldn't find the temp. file you suggested. Shall I download it again? :(
All the best and PEACE!

Grand Dad, I hope that you are having a full and speedy recovery.

Is the error the one you stated in your email?

TABCTL32.ocs' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered

Microsoft has article on this error (see the following)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289493

Are you running on an XP machine?
Is the file in:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\TABCTL32.OCX

You could try to manually register, some suggest un-registering it first.

Windows 95, 98, or Me:
regsvr32 \windows\system\TABCTL32.OCX

Windows NT or 2000:
regsvr32 \WINNT\system32\TABCTL32.OCX

Windows XP:
regsvr32 \windows\system32\TABCTL32.OCX

There seems to be hundreds of examples of this error when I do a web search, but not having experience it first hand I am not sure of the solution.

Hey, Dack, this is a thoroughly brilliant tool - thank you very much. It does exactly what I would want a map editor to do.

I've been playing Civ since my Amiga days, and it's the first game I tried to edit as soon as I learned about Hex editors. I managed to understand enough of the SVE file, and could see the way the MAP file has 'layers', although I never got to understand it. Instead I edited the .exe file itself, which was fun. In 16 years I keep coming back to it because it's a very absorbing game, along with SWOS and Dungeon Master - classics which don't lose their appeal. I am currently writing an online SWOS editor in ASP.NET, as an exercise in the language and SQL, and I have considered doing the same for CIV. But now I don't need to, because this TerraForm editor does it all!

I always wanted to create a map where all the civilisations are in one part, and there's a beautiful land, just beyond the horizon, that is so full of resources that whoever gets there first stands a really good chance of winning. And now I have. (Thanks for sending the key so fast!).

My hex-edited CIV.exe file has different values for movement, defence and attack for the units, than the original game had. One thing I noticed - I added some units to the map in 3980BC (what Grand Dad would rightly call cheating, although it was for testing purposes), and they all had the original values for the first turn only, before reverting to the values I had set in the civ.exe file for subsequent moves. Strange, huh?

Top Bottom