WW2 Unit Graphics

Yes, there are excellent modding tools made by Luis. The most useful is OpenSuite which is a scenario, campaign and unit stats editor. Pretty much everything can be changed for each unit, from which icon it uses, which sound, its attack and def stats, year available etc etc.

If you want to put your own custom gfx in-game as I have then you need to convert an incon into a *.s16 format which was the proprietary gfx format for the makers of PG2 (SSI) and then pack the resultant s16 into the big archive file used by the game. The tools needed for this are PeG dat tool for the s16 conversion and icons tool for packing the files.

All these are available here:

http://luis-guzman.com/

This is a good place to find all the maps that have been made for scenarios@

http://www.gilestiel.eu/~pg2og/mapfinder/

You can make new maps yourself but its time-consuming...

If you decide you want to try your hand at scenario or campaign modding let me know and I can give you a more detailedd run-through of the processes involved.

And in answer to your question about unit limits for a scenario, taking the Adlerkorps ww2 e-file as an example there are 31 countries, 4000 units and around 2000 different unit icons. So yes, a bit more flexible than civ :)

This sounds all very interesting. Currently I´ve a scenario in mind playing during the Napoleonic Wars. I would like to use this map:

Map for Napoleonic Wars

but I´m not sure how it looks like in game. If I can use about 31 Nations and about 2000 units I could create a scenario which covers all Europe. Also here is a huge amount of units available you made some times ago which I can use.

Would be very great if you could help me understanding how the game and especially the scenario creation works together. :)

OK c2u - why dont we start a new thread if you want to pursue this and I can talk you through each stage of scenario creation. Dont worry about unit icons - it may come as a huge shock but I already made a set of Napoleonics years ago for PeG which I can put in the OG dat file ;)

One thing you should appreciate - Panzer General 2 was played as a 'campaign' which was a series of connected battles (scenarios). Your result in each battle effected the next, and your core units were persistent and moved from battle to battle gaining experience and abilities, almost like an rpg I guess. You could make a single scenario representing the whole Napoleonic war but it would be more fun as a series of battles (which has already been done for PeG btw). The 31 nations limit applies to an individual rule set (e-file) and could be used to the fullest extent in a campaign. However for a single scenario / battle you are restricted to two sides, one playable and the other AI. Each side may have units from 5 different nations.

Completely off at a tangent but I've just seen this map http://www.gilestiel.eu/~pg2og/mapfinder/images/real/1189.jpg for a Pacific scenario. Isn't that purty? :)
In fact there are a whole load of maps in the same style for the Pacific. Almost makes me wanna play one of the OG Pacific campaigns and draw some Japanese aircraft for Tech. Almost.... :lol:

Attachments

• Tanelorn Westland Whirlwind.png
    Tanelorn Westland Whirlwind.png
    3 KB · Views: 745
Excellent pics Tim - those are all in the OG e-file now, thanks :)

Bizarrely I drew a Whirlwind myself yesterday..

Attachments

• fairline westland whirlwind.png
    fairline westland whirlwind.png
    3.2 KB · Views: 758
¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡LA MADRE QUE OS PARIÓ!!!!!!!!!!!!
:goodjob::goodjob::goodjob::goodjob::goodjob::goodjob::goodjob:
You are the best ... more wonderful units.
Fairline, I had used some of your new units of the Civil War to modify the scenario Madrid... , but there are not many scenarios for many incredible units...
Tanelorn, your magnificent Greek units needed a scenario, and I have adapted w21 to TOT: had started adding units, but only you can complete it and make suggestions for improvement.
Thanks for your art.
Saludos

Hey, nice to see you back GP! Great work and sure, yeah!
Actually scratch one Goblin, McMonkey here's that Grumman FF we were talking about (its the same plane;))

Attachments

• Tanelorn Grumman FF1.png
    Tanelorn Grumman FF1.png
    6.8 KB · Views: 708
Wonderful! Added to the unit file. I think there are only three aircraft left that I'm missing. The Fokker G.I the Heinkel He70 and the beautiful He112, which kind of reminds me of the Spitfire a little, unless I they are out there already and I have missed them!

Hi Fairline,

well yes - there are literally dozens of e-files (analogous to civ2 rules) which cover different time-periods and theatres of war from ancient Rome through to modern day warfare; there is a Pacific War e-file and campaigns

Are there units that cover the Vietnam War? I've been working on my next project for a while now and though I've managed to gather a significant number of units off the different Civilization forums there are gaps in my unit wish list.

If you or any other artist happen to have a collection of units that cover that particular period please don't hesitate to share them with me as I would be immensely grateful.

Thank you.

Hi Fairline,

Are there units that cover the Vietnam War? I've been working on my next project for a while now and though I've managed to gather a significant number of units off the different Civilization forums there are gaps in my unit wish list.

If you or any other artist happen to have a collection of units that cover that particular period please don't hesitate to share them with me as I would be immensely grateful.

Thank you.

No, I've been drawing just ww2 stuff. What is it you need tootall?

The Nationalist He 112, in early war colours: :)

Attachments

• Tanelorn He 112.png
    Tanelorn He 112.png
    3.1 KB · Views: 396
Wonderful! Added to the unit file. I think there are only three aircraft left that I'm missing. The Fokker G.I the Heinkel He70 and the beautiful He112, which kind of reminds me of the Spitfire a little, unless I they are out there already and I have missed them!

I really keep meaning to draw the He112. It'l be next on my list :)

Hi Fairline,

No, I've been drawing just ww2 stuff. What is it you need tootall?

I will open a development thread in the next couple of weeks and post the units template I have to date and the units on my wish list. I will certainly appreciate any help you can provide.

Thanks again.

Top Bottom