Alien Worlds graphics request

There's four kind of data packages, and you probably need to create one of each for your scenario

- Ruleset:
Rules of the game. This is set of text files describing units, techs, buildings, terrains...

- Tileset:
Graphics. In addition to actual picture text files describing its structure are needed.

- Soundset
Like tileset, but for sounds instead of graphics

- Scenario
This is actually a save game with starting situation in game and possibly with some script code for events to happen during the game.

Reason these are separated is that user should have freedom to select them independently, and to avoid massive data duplication.

So these are always seperate, and need some kind of installer is neede to spare the end user going through all kinds of hassle? I´m not quite sure I follow you here actually.

The documentation is very useful, thanks for that.

So these are always seperate, and need some kind of installer is neede to spare the end user going through all kinds of hassle? I´m not quite sure I follow you here actually.
Well, nothing prevents you from packaging all the files inside same zip instead of having separate zip for each packet type. And as I mentioned earlier, I'm working on utility that will download and install packages automatically. I don't know if its current version made it to beta3 windows packaging.

Oh, one essential thing I forgot. It's a bit hidden in todays single-player games, but as multiplayer game freeciv is actually two programs; server and client. Each player connects to central server with his/her client. In single-player situation both server and client just are at the same machine, and server is launched automatically. Anyway, rules are something that server needs and forces everybody to follow, so rulesets are installed to server machine. Client is the program that interacts with user, so tilesets and soundsets are installed to client machine.

This actually could lead us back to alien ruleset that subject claims this thread to be about :)
If someone wants to test alien ruleset, but does not want the hassle of figuring out how to install it, I can run public server for such a test. There's no need to install anything alien ruleset specific to client end at the moment.

Nice posts, Cazfi! :)
Thank you.

As you seem to be one of the moderators, if have question to ask.

Scenario League quite clearly labels itself as civ2 related community. You seem to be cool with one freeciv thread in these forums every couple of years (I'm very thankful for the last time resulting in new default tileset, far superior to what we had before, for freeciv) but what if there would be a bit more freeciv stuff? Should everything any way related to freeciv go to this one thread, or should we have several more focused freeciv threads? What I had in mind as next possible thread was one where I would post when ever new feature relevant to scenario creation is added to freeciv.

EDIT: Correct place for that particular thread is of course freeciv's own forums http://forum.freeciv.org/index.php There should be no need to post same information to SL also, as any SL member interested in freeciv scenario creation also should follow those forums.

No zoom function, only different tilesets

I opened wishlist ticket about this in our bug tracker: http://gna.org/bugs/index.php?17760 That way it's not only something I alone from devteam members have heard and in worst case forgotten, but something that has to be handled somehow (in the unlikely worst case: decision is made that we will never implement this)

If you have other similar things in mind, you can open such items yourself here: http://gna.org/bugs/?func=additem&group=freeciv

When this is ready, you will be credited in commit message ("Requested by...") Do you wan to go by name Harry Tuttle, or by some other name, there?

even if I haven't (yet?) tried freeciv...
btw. I'm freeciv upstream developer, but I have no problem with all the forks there is. If people want to start their own project based on freeciv codebase, it only shows that our base is good starting point. One such fork is freeciv.net, playable on your web browser. I have not tested it too much myself, and I believe he had to remove several features from freeciv to make it work, but you may take a look at it if you don't want to install freeciv. You can play at http://www.freeciv.net (Our address being http://www.freeciv.org (.org))

Years ago I got document called Macro.txt from you guys. Thank you. As I went through it, it became apparent that freeciv already had equivalent functionality, or the functionality simply made no sense in freeciv context (as for forcing other players attitude - freeciv is fundamentally multiplayer game, the other player might be human)
I have to take this back. Memory failed me.

I'm trying to create document with tables about equivalent civ2 triggers -> freeciv signals and civ2 actions -> freeciv events (different terminology, even different meaning for same words, doesn't help) I don't have mapping for everything. Either I miss something this time, or equivalent functionality does not exist in freeciv (or is not documented!)

EDIT: This is what you get when you don't use proper tracker tickets for handling issues. What I have probably thought at the time was "Ah, these missing ones are relatively easy to add. I'll do it some night." and then forgotten.

Thank you.

As you seem to be one of the moderators, if have question to ask.

Scenario League quite clearly labels itself as civ2 related community. You seem to be cool with one freeciv thread in these forums every couple of years (I'm very thankful for the last time resulting in new default tileset, far superior to what we had before, for freeciv) but what if there would be a bit more freeciv stuff? Should everything any way related to freeciv go to this one thread, or should we have several more focused freeciv threads? What I had in mind as next possible thread was one where I would post when ever new feature relevant to scenario creation is added to freeciv.

EDIT: Correct place for that particular thread is of course freeciv's own forums http://forum.freeciv.org/index.php There should be no need to post same information to SL also, as any SL member interested in freeciv scenario creation also should follow those forums.

SL is for CIV2, not just related to it.
Though, if you need helpers, we are happy to assist.

It might be best to create one sticky thread for Freeciv/CIV2 cross-over works, and
keep all related content in there. Or you could request Freeciv gets its own area?

Being a minor form of life on CFC, I can't make a definite ruling on such a policy.
If you contact our admin, Ainwood, he will be able to outline the situation.

:)

I apologize in advance. English is not my native tongue, and I really don't know how to put this politely. I have to be blatantly honest. I hope nobody takes this personally.

From how you guys have compared civ2 macro language and freeciv scripting possibilities, I have assumed civ2 language to be really good. Even my own opinion about freeciv scripting is that it's still "initial version" to be improved upon real needs of users as those become apparent.
Now, when I read Macros.txt again, I'm surprised how small set of triggers and actions there is. Even this "initial version" of freeciv scripting, while not strictly superset of civ2 language (there are things you can do in civ2 you cannot do in freeciv), provides much more.

I don't see how anyone should be offended.
The point is not that Civ 2 has so much variety in scripting to offer, the point is that it offers so much in such a simple way.

The point is not that Civ 2 has so much variety in scripting to offer, the point is that it offers so much in such a simple way.
Now, this may clears one fundamental misunderstanding I have had in our communication. You are not requesting more but existing options to be presented simpler way? I admit Harry Tuttle already hinted that way, but I thought his request for simplicity to be just (minor) addition to other requests.

It's almost unavoidable that more powerful system is more complex. Freeciv often chooses to sacrifice simplicity for flexibility and power. I have to admit that I have a large role in this philosophy, as I myself want the freedom to adjust game big way. I don't think this philosophy is going to change. To override my opinion, other devs should feel quite strongly about need to go the other way.

I have had an idea for a while, of making a new version of the MOO2 scenario.

I now wonder if I should go ahead with it, perhaps on FreeCiv.

Pros:
More Civs.
More unit slots.(Makes balancing even harder I guess....)
More technologies.
Larger map.

Cons:
Overall almost everything seems more complicated.

One question: Can I create "wormholes"? Simply a square that moves the ship entering to another pre-determined square.

Another one about technologies: can I make requirements for technologies that only one of the available is necessary?

Say I have a tech named D.
The techs A, B, C, all lead to it, but it is only necessary to research one of them to be able to research tech D.

Can I create "wormholes"? Simply a square that moves the ship entering to another pre-determined square.
In theory, yes.

BUT I don't think anyone has ever seriously used freeciv code that would handle this, and it seems a bit fragile to me. So, before I promise to you that it works, I'll test it a bit.

Another one about technologies: can I make requirements for technologies that only one of the available is necessary?

Say I have a tech named D.
The techs A, B, C, all lead to it, but it is only necessary to research one of them to be able to research tech D.
I can't figure out any way to achieve this with current freeciv. I'm currently quite swamped with different tasks and cannot promise to implement required features immediately. I'll do some thinking anyway.

In your example there is three possible prerequisites (A, B, C). Can this number of prerequisites be limited (and to what value) or must it be unlimited? Should it be possible to have mixed cases where you need A and either B or C?

I will admit that the idea of planning a FreeCiv scenario with tons of nations and units makes me salivate!

But as Harry says, we would need a modding system that a non-programmer can get his head around.

If FreeCiv could be easily modded for scenarios and events, then a creative explosion could happen.

No-one expects miracles and we know this huge effort is non-profit, but it is something to aim for.

:)

I would be less put off downloading FreeCiv if it was packaged as a traditional game that I could just run a installation launcher and everything just happened. When I have looked at FreeCiv in the past it looked a bit to much effort to get into for the layman.

The idea of bigger maps, extra civs and being able to make alterations to the game mechanics is appealing. However I wonder what would happen if I was given so much freedom. With Civ2 there are limits and when you have done all you can within those limits you know your project is finished. If I could do anything I wanted I don't think I would ever finish anything as there would always be something else I would want to add. At the moment I think I still have a fair way to go with ToT, a lot to learn and a lot of ideas to try out. I don't think I have the time in my life for FreeCiv but I will certainly be as supportive as I can as I think it is a noble project!

Top Bottom