Another WW2 scenario

i tried to cut the south side of the map and keep only europe north america asia and north africa but the civ sdk crashes

In my current game as Germany Im getting a crash everytime I go from turn 31-32, but atleast Im futher than your 12-15 turns :)

How does one do the whole disabling lua thing btw (and what does it actually do), I'd like to play more as germany but I always end up in hard crashes forcing me to start over :(
Allright got it, thanks for that :)

Its quite interesting and really odd stuff happend (england going to war vs france & USA attacking mexico and canada), sadly my game crashed at turning 12-13 now :/

Gonna give it a twirl later on perhaps, but those hardcrashes are ruining the fun a bit..

edit, dont know if this has been mentioned earlier... Whatever causes the crashes (with the LUA on or off) seems to be decided early on in the game to some degree, I tried to go back 2 turns in both my games (lua off & on games) and the crash still occured as previously (turn12 to 13 for the lua off game & turn 32-33 with lua on)....
Help please. Every time I take London before turn 13 on immortal level the system crashes. I have two saved files that are repeatable failures. Email me if you can help and would like the sav files. vale_krenik@hotmail.com.

Its not the system... 16GB 1600Mhz Ram, 2700k processor, 512GB SSD drive, and EVGA 560Ti video. Everything is a 7.9 on gaming levels. I used directx 10/11 and then tried 9. I monitored the crash and it causes some sort of memory fault, like addressing an address that does not exist.

Great scenario, just wish it would work.

This sounds a lot like the problem that I've been experiencing, which I confirmed to still show up even with LUA disabled a few days ago. I have a similar system too. I'm pretty much stumped unfortunately. I'm glad to see that some, such as joeymiles, are able to play full games using the scenario. This indicates to me that it's something outside of the scenario that is causing the crash though. In which case I don't know how to go about fixing it :(

I was wondering if the oversized/fully populated map this scenario uses becomes too much of a memory hog after X number of turns and the game hits a crash point. Joeymiles attests to the contrary though, as he is using a laptop that takes 10-20 min/turn for the ai to trudge through crash free.

I would guess that reinstalling civ5 will be my next step in attempting to solve this, so that's probably what I'll end up trying. That's such a hassle to do though, and it's not even guaranteed to fix anything... :wallbash:

My thanks to everyone detailing how the scenario is working for them. The game map several posts back looks like it was a pretty good game for Greece, so that would be my guess for the human player.

I haven't read all the topic, so I maybe missed something, but every time I try to play Japan, the game crashes. England, Germany, or the US work without any problem. Did domeone else have the problem, or a solution ?

Nethertheless, it's an amazing mod, and a fabulous gaming experience. Very realistic.

Oh, by the way. Why is Malta french in the map ? (and sorry again if someone already asked the question a hundred times...)

Congratulations for your work on this mod. I like it.

Good point on Malta actually. That was simply another mistake I made apparently.

I've read about that issue with Japan a couple of other times. IIRC Japan loads ok for me though, so I'm not sure what's causing that. Next time I attempt to play the scenario to test for the crash I've been discussing I'll be sure to select Japan to verify it still works.

OMG i think i finaly figured out why my game hasnt been crashing. alot of times when i play this i go through and delete alot of units from certian countrys(the one im plays as to) simply cause i dont use certian units anyway and to even out the playing feild so that my weakened army doesnt die. maybe its that. for example any country i play as that has riflemen or artirly enless thats the top infantry unit they have i tend to just delete it. i also delete most of my destryer class ships, for france simpley cause i hate them i tend to weaken their homeland army to just an aircraft.

so has anyone else done this at all? cause ive never had a single crash and i always do this kinda stuff

the reason that the turns are so long is that there are a lot of units for the ai to move and with the war everywhere it gots harder.a very nice idea(used by red)woudll be too lower the number of units and make them stronger in hitpoints(in red inf has 50). also there are big areas in south african and south america that exist for nothing.

OMG i think i finaly figured out why my game hasnt been crashing. alot of times when i play this i go through and delete alot of units from certian countrys(the one im plays as to) simply cause i dont use certian units anyway and to even out the playing feild so that my weakened army doesnt die. maybe its that. for example any country i play as that has riflemen or artirly enless thats the top infantry unit they have i tend to just delete it. i also delete most of my destryer class ships, for france simpley cause i hate them i tend to weaken their homeland army to just an aircraft.

so has anyone else done this at all? cause ive never had a single crash and i always do this kinda stuff

Ah, that explains it then. You are simply deleting a lot of the pre-placed units on the map right? If that's the case, then I can go in and rebalance the starting forces to a more manageable level.
I'll probably take your advice PAVLOS, and modify the HP to account for the change. I may need to adjust the cost of units as well, or perhaps just impose some sort of limit on army size.

As far as the part about the southern hemisphere regions being for nothing, I included them mostly for completeness. It might be worthwhile to go into the map editor again and delete them now that I know the high number of units is causing crashes.
What I'll probably do is cut off South America and Africa at around the equator, and try to implement some sort of passage to simulate ocean travel between the oceans. Australia will probably be handled the same way where there is just a northern coastline visible.

Let me know if this sounds good, or if there is a better way to go about it.

I love these plethoric units. It seems more realistic to me. =(
This is one of the reason I like your scenario : lots of ships, lots of units, lots of possibilities...

Yep, I thought the same thing. It made for some epic battles once the fighting really gets going. Too bad the game just doesn't seem to support it.

Ah, that explains it then. You are simply deleting a lot of the pre-placed units on the map right? If that's the case, then I can go in and rebalance the starting forces to a more manageable level.
I'll probably take your advice PAVLOS, and modify the HP to account for the change. I may need to adjust the cost of units as well, or perhaps just impose some sort of limit on army size.

As far as the part about the southern hemisphere regions being for nothing, I included them mostly for completeness. It might be worthwhile to go into the map editor again and delete them now that I know the high number of units is causing crashes.
What I'll probably do is cut off South America and Africa at around the equator, and try to implement some sort of passage to simulate ocean travel between the oceans. Australia will probably be handled the same way where there is just a northern coastline visible.

Let me know if this sounds good, or if there is a better way to go about it.

why not just downsize the southern part of africa not get rid of it. personaly i do like africa and south america being their it makes it fun for after ww2 is over. but if you do do that can you maybe take the south african civ and put in rominia since rominia was one of the axis and a big player(though usaly forgotten)

also by 1939 germany allready had austria and parts of the chekz
and as for japan they did own some chinese citys(and by own i mean controled)
heres a map hope this helps ya
http://www.mikalac.com/ww2/pho/japan_1939a.jpg

and this is some prewar stuff that might help
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0005248.html

good luck man i love this mod and i hope this helped soem

why not just downsize the southern part of africa not get rid of it. personaly i do like africa and south america being their it makes it fun for after ww2 is over. but if you do do that can you maybe take the south african civ and put in rominia since rominia was one of the axis and a big player(though usaly forgotten)

also by 1939 germany allready had austria and parts of the chekz
and as for japan they did own some chinese citys(and by own i mean controled)
heres a map hope this helps ya
http://www.mikalac.com/ww2/pho/japan_1939a.jpg

and this is some prewar stuff that might help
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0005248.html

good luck man i love this mod and i hope this helped soem

Thanks for the links :)

I actually have some reasoning behind Austria & Czech beginning the game as free states. The editor won't allow placement of puppet or occupied city-states. I wanted them to be city-states so that they could potentially be liberated by an allied player if they opt to go for a diplomatic victory.
As far as the map of China goes, I'll plan on fixing that part to better match reality.

I need Romania to be the major oil supplier to Germany. In that respect they have to stay a city-state, otherwise I'd have to find a way to get around the huge oil deficit for Germany.

i think ur idea is very nice and i think that is better to make training longer than to make a unit limit because as a country becomes bigger it will need more and more units.also with the less units the scenario will be more strategic and u will have a lot more space to fight.in some nations like russia u can make inf less powerfull but easier to make(also in italy)and in some others country like germany and greece u can make it little more powerfull but harder to product(about greece i say it because the victory agaisnt the italian army and if u take account that the greeks were 800.000 without tanks and some old artillery fighting agaisnt 8.000.000 italians with tanks art and planes i think it is a great victory).latly i dont think the number makes the battle epic,it will just make it a continiusly clicking and u wont have space to move and as long the game isnt made for this and doesnt support this i think less but better units are powerfull.as i mentioned before try to play gedemo's ww2(red ww2 edition) and u can take may great ideas

Thanks for the links :)

I actually have some reasoning behind Austria & Czech beginning the game as free states. The editor won't allow placement of puppet or occupied city-states. I wanted them to be city-states so that they could potentially be liberated by an allied player if they opt to go for a diplomatic victory.
As far as the map of China goes, I'll plan on fixing that part to better match reality.

I need Romania to be the major oil supplier to Germany. In that respect they have to stay a city-state, otherwise I'd have to find a way to get around the huge oil deficit for Germany.

sad face on rominia but an idea for germnay getting more oil is make those two oil feilds off the coast of denmark more valiable. i mean with rominia as a supporting country i tend to ignore denmark and norway simply cause its no issue. also with a smaller army for germany do you really need rominia as an oil producer? and one last thought. i tend to play with out the LUA so alot of times i can just befriend certian citystates(which most of the time just tends to be one with oil) or make deals with other countyrs. just thoughts here

ummm why wont it install? the part 2 i mean i just dont know why part 1 is fine but not 2..... so here is the screen capture of it

Attachments

• ?? ??.jpg
    ?? ??.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 84
Thanks for the tip. I watched the memory. Civ never uses more than a couple of gigs of active memory... I have 11Gb of memory free when it crashes. Sigh. Brilliant scenario though. Is there a debug tool that can tell me what it is doing in the internals? (Im a former programmer back in the day)

I'd be curious what system Joey is using... all the specs and all. Also be curious if he can load my scenario sav file and see if it loads and then hit next turn and see if it survives.

Thanks for the tip. I watched the memory. Civ never uses more than a couple of gigs of active memory... I have 11Gb of memory free when it crashes. Sigh. Brilliant scenario though. Is there a debug tool that can tell me what it is doing in the internals? (Im a former programmer back in the day)

I'd be curious what system Joey is using... all the specs and all. Also be curious if he can load my scenario sav file and see if it loads and then hit next turn and see if it survives.

send me the file man ill try it. also i use windows 7 on a hp laptop

ummm why wont it install? the part 2 i mean i just dont know why part 1 is fine but not 2..... so here is the screen capture of it

I've seen that happen myself. All you need to do is open the "part 2 of 2" mod file with a winrar/zip or equivalent program and manually unpack the file contents into your civ 5 mods folder. So, it's a simple drag and drop procedure.

I'd be interested to see about that too. If it's indeed too many units and such for the AI to handle after several turns of warfare have lapsed, then he should get the same crash.

I'm about halfway through redoing the map at the moment, so hopefully that's the case. I'll attach a picture of what I've got so far, as well as an image of the old map for comparison.
Basically the southern parts of South America and Africa are both cut off. The US is a lot closer to its true relative size in relation to the other major powers too. As it is, I am to leave a line of hexes at the bottom of each as coastal tiles so that it's still possible to take a route other than Panama or the Suez to cross oceans.

Attachments

• Redesign1.jpg
    Redesign1.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 66
  • Old map.jpg
    Old map.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 83
Top Bottom