Subdued Animals in C2C discussions

The AI over values these Mil animal units. Perhaps the AI weighting for them needs reduced? Or these animal units need better promos to start? (although I feel there are still too many Promotions available in the mod, just mpo.)

JosEPh

AI Weight is 0.

AI Weight is 0.

Well that throws that one out then. So why does the AI build so many? When in reality they are weaker units than normal Archer/melee units.

JosEPh

Those animals are probably cheaper for the strength. Also there's some disharmony in unit ability evaluations as that portion of the unit 'valuation' project has gone incomplete since Koshling's discontinued participation. It's on my list of things to address in full at some point soon. There's a number of steps to take to make this all right and it's very labor intensive.

They were never meant as military units. They were meant to be civilian units to spread the animal buildings. Same with subdued animals really.

They were never meant as military units. They were meant to be civilian units to spread the animal buildings. Same with subdued animals really.

Agreed. And spreading them for animal builds is great, but as Joe said they do use them an awful lot for some reason?? I use them strictly for the buildings.

Agreed. And spreading them for animal builds is great, but as Joe said they do use them an awful lot for some reason?? I use them strictly for the buildings.

I use for the animal builds but the AI uses them as mil units. They send them in attack stacks. They have also been used to attack workers.

Does that mean someone has given them a UNIT_COMBAT_AI? When they were not designed for it? :confused:

JosEPh

@DH

So I was thinking about the Trained Animals. And I think Bronze Working (X29) unlocks too many things. Could we move all the Trained Animals to Veterinary Medicine (x31) tech instead? They are not to far off from each other and it would give Veterinary Medicine tech a bigger draw to research it. Currently all it unlocks in the Ancient Veterinarian building.

EDIT: The Beastmater units too might be good to move there as well.

I think that may be far to late. It is not so much how many columns between the techs but the path you have taken. If you go for bronze working for the civics then it will take a long time before you get to Veterinary medicine because it is on a different branch.

edit perhaps leasure would be a better tech?

I think that may be far to late. It is not so much how many columns between the techs but the path you have taken. If you go for bronze working for the civics then it will take a long time before you get to Veterinary medicine because it is on a different branch.

Too late for what? For spreading herds and stuff with them? The Great Farmer is not until the beginning of the Medieval Era at Agricultural Tools (x45) and and Veterinary Medicine (x31) is at the end of the Ancient Era. That basically gives all of the Classical Era as a buffer.

And like I said it actually gives the tech much more worth to research. Especially since it is on that separate branch. Thus giving the player a choice "Beeline to Bronze or Veterinary Medicine?" or even have the layer balance both going on both branches.

To me it just seems Bronze Working is way too strong in that you can unlock Tin, Bronze Buildings, Bronze Units, Lots of Cultures, Plus Despotism and Junta civics. Having the ability to spread livestock to other cities then seems like a bit overkill for one tech. Especially when all Veterinary Medicine unlocks is one building.

While Leisure is just as empty as Veterinary Medicine, I am not sure if Leisure really has anything to do with Animal Taming. At least Veterinary Medicine involved animals and was only 2 columns down from Bronze Working.

Perhaps a new tech could solve this?

I disagree that Leisure would have nothing to do with animals as it certainly would seem to have something to do with spending time with your pets. But I do understand the argument for Vet Medicine (though healing pets and training them do seem to be quite different things.)

What do people do with their spare time? They train animals.:D Without animals why do you need Veterinary Medicine?

They were put at Bronze Working because it was at about the correct time. This means that preferably they need to be in that column. Perhaps Specialization which is only one column earlier.

What do people do with their spare time? They train animals.:D Without animals why do you need Veterinary Medicine?

They were put at Bronze Working because it was at about the correct time. This means that preferably they need to be in that column. Perhaps Specialization which is only one column earlier.

+1 on the Specialization idea.

JosEPh

I disagree - with Leisure, you do sports, you relax, you do hobbies, you play with animals. etc.

You do not train them - that is more time consuming and not leisuire but a vocation.

But, if you keep animals for leisure (not training) - yes you eventually need Veterinary Medicine.

@Hydromancerx earlier you asked if I had a set up that you could use that loaded fast just for testing new animals. I have not tested it yet but I believe it will do.

1. get hold of The Stripped Mod by johny smith here
2. Copy the C2C dll into it
3. add a modules folder
4. do the animals in folders under the modules folder

I was trying this, but I got a million errors. :(

@DH

One of the things that has bugged people about the Myths is that their +:science: goes away after awhile. How about at the tech you have them gain a +1 :culture: to add to the culture's lore? That way its not so much of a loss when then :science: goes away.

Almost all of them now convert from :science: to education of the same value now.

Looks like I only have the element and terrain ones done so far.

edit That is not the case. With the animals when the myth looses the :science: the story gets the education but we can't have it upgrade because some myths contribute to some buildings so you can only have one.

Looks like I only have the element and terrain ones done so far.

edit That is not the case. With the animals when the myth looses the :science: the story gets the education but we can't have it upgrade because some myths contribute to some buildings so you can only have one.

I was not suggesting upgrade I was suggesting say at Literature -1 :science: and +1 :culture:.

Code:
			<TechCommerceChanges>
				<TechCommerceChange>
					<PrereqTech>TECH_LITERATURE</PrereqTech>
					<TechCommerce>
						<iCommerce>0</iCommerce>
						<iCommerce>-1</iCommerce>
						<iCommerce>1</iCommerce>
						<iCommerce>0</iCommerce>
					</TechCommerce>
				</TechCommerceChange>
			</TechCommerceChanges>

It does not fit well with what I want to do with these buildings.

I am in the process of changing the lot of animal myths and stories by having Religious Resources so you will have to choose between making a Myth - Elephant or Myth - African Elephant or bonus Spotted Fur Capes. Then have that bonus apply to the religion buildings instead. It works better with the evolving religion stuff I want and separates the two concepts allowing for the myths to obsolete or upgrade.

I have been thinking that as we get more animals and specific myths for them we could expand the Cultures to require some of them. Eg Maori could require Myth of the Moa as well as what it does now. Apparently Moa means chicken which is supposed to be why the Maori did not bring chickens with them when they settled New Zealand.

Top Bottom