Subdued Animals in C2C discussions

Good to see that it works now. :goodjob: The blink.dds file looks useless to me as well, I wonder why it is referred to in the nif. :confused:

I would still suggest to remove the decal texture thou because it will take up memory with no further benefit. To remove this reference, just double-click on source entry in the Block Details (the 10 in this example) and delete the number. After pressing enter, there should be a "None" now. Next doubleclick on the "yes" in the "Has Decal 0 Texture" entry. The yes should turn into a no by this, and you are done.

Removing NiTriShapes (and other nodes as well) is even simpler, just highlight it by clicking on it and then press Ctrl+Del. There seem to be a lot of nodes that you won't need, but since the nif has a different structure than the standard Civ4 units I can't safely say which can be removed. Just try a bit, as long as the unit looks alright in the game it should be alright. At least I'm sure that the three NiSkinInstances at the bottom of the file structure (121,124 and 127) can be remove, since they are not children of the Scene Root node.

Thanks. I took a bunch out, but still needed to keep some skeleton inside so it can stay in the right pose. For instance the wing open if I take out the wing bones.

EDIT: Now it turned green when I took the blink out. Maybe for some reason they are both needed. Grrr.

EDIT2: Yeah I am breaking more things than I am fixing now. I am just going to leave them as they are where it works. Better working and a larger file than broken and unusable.

Sure here you go. The beaver and gazelle are still not working. Its very frustrating.

Thanks, Did you see that SaibotLieh has posted a blue whale? At this rate I am going to need a new combat class for sea critters just to stop them getting the woodmen promotions.

Thanks, Did you see that SaibotLieh has posted a blue whale? At this rate I am going to need a new combat class for sea critters just to stop them getting the woodmen promotions.

No, do you have a link?

Also am working on a Tuna right now. If it works I would like it to make fish resource in the same way Bison can make a Bison resource.

EDIT; Found it. Looks more like a humpback than a blue whale. Anywho here is a tuna.

I still seem to have a shadow problem. The more units you have the darker the map gets. If you have too many close to each other it turns your screen almost black.

Ok I figured it out. Its because I had to scale up my animals so much just to we can see them. So the shadows scale up as well. The Zoo Tycoon models are tiny. Since I don't want to figure out how to reverse scale the shadows I just set the value to 0. This removes the shadow but at least fixes the problem.

So in the "CIV4ArtDefines_Unit" file each just set the following to zero.

Code:
			<ShadowDef>
				<ShadowNIF>Art/Units/01_UnitShadows/HorseShadow.nif</ShadowNIF>
				<ShadowAttachNode>LionBip Spine1</ShadowAttachNode>
				<fShadowScale>[B]0[/B]</fShadowScale>
			</ShadowDef>

@Dancing Hoskuld

Can you please do the following ...

1. Make the Reptile Myth use the Komodo Dragon button I provided you here?

2. Make the Shark Myth use the Shark button I provided you here?

3. Can you make subdued version of the Whale, Ray, Sea Turtle, Tuna and Dugong as well as set up all the special features your animals normally get such as the Tuna spawning a Fish resource or the Sea Turtle making the Reptile Myth?

4. Can you scale up the new blue whale to be as big or bigger than the other whale? Because compared to the whale we have it is very small. I also think you should rename it to Humpback Whale since it looks more like one. And I guess mine could be renamed to Minke Whale since that's what it is. If we are having 2 types of whales in the game.

Many thanks in advance!

@DH: Some problems are occuring in the AI with cobras. It turns out its because cobras are defined with a default uniAI of UNITAI_ATTACK rather than UNITAI_ANIMAL (and that they support a bunch of other attack AIs). I'm changing this to match other animals for now. Was this just a cut&paste error or is there some reason it was like this? (those AI types don't really play well with an animal unit which is flaged as animal)

@Dancing Hoskuld

Can you please do the following ...

1. Make the Reptile Myth use the Komodo Dragon button I provided you here?

2. Make the Shark Myth use the Shark button I provided you here?

3. Can you make subdued version of the Whale, Ray, Sea Turtle, Tuna and Dugong as well as set up all the special features your animals normally get such as the Tuna spawning a Fish resource or the Sea Turtle making the Reptile Myth?

4. Can you scale up the new blue whale to be as big or bigger than the other whale? Because compared to the whale we have it is very small. I also think you should rename it to Humpback Whale since it looks more like one. And I guess mine could be renamed to Minke Whale since that's what it is. If we are having 2 types of whales in the game.

Many thanks in advance!

Most of those were on my list to do yesterday, but it turned into one of "those" mornings, so I ended up taking the day off and away from the computer. ;)

@DH: Some problems are occuring in the AI with cobras. It turns out its because cobras are defined with a default uniAI of UNITAI_ATTACK rather than UNITAI_ANIMAL (and that they support a bunch of other attack AIs). I'm changing this to match other animals for now. Was this just a cut&paste error or is there some reason it was like this? (those AI types don't really play well with an animal unit which is flaged as animal)

Thanks. The cobra is from another mod and I took it as was. Then started work on it to make it fit C2C. It was a monster snake, twice the size of an elephant and requiring something of the order of a couple of nukes to kill. Maybe it had been used as a "gozilla" in a previous mod. ;)

Make animal suggestions on the Subdue animal thread or I will forget them. I may be able to give a bonus on terrain ie plains and grasslands and a penalty on features like forest.

Single lion has str 2 like the cheetah and hyena.

The Lion and Cheetah show STR 1 in CIV4UnitInfos.XML. Lion Pack is 2.

Spoiler :
<Class>UNITCLASS_LION</Class>
<Type>UNIT_LION</Type>
<iCombat>1</iCombat>

Trying to balance out their combat and movement compared to each other. The suggestion you made above should work great (bonus on grass/plains and penalty in forest/jungle for those fast runner types)

Here are some suggestions:
Boar STR 1 MOV 2 (at str 2)
Bear STR 3 MOV 2 (at mov 1)
- Bears are at least as fast as Boars, but maybe mov penalty in Forest
Cave Bear STR 4 MOV 2 (at str 3 mov 1)
- Non-arctic version of Polar Bear, mov penalty in forest
Polar Bear STR 4 MOV 2 (at mov 1)
- Bonus on arctic, mov penalty in forest
Elephant STR 5 MOV 2 (at str 3 mov 1)
- Bonus to mov on plains, grass, savanna, mov penalty in forest, jungle
Mammoth STR 5 MOV 2 (at mov 1)
- Similar to above, but with bonus on arctic
Wolf STR 1 MOV 2 (no change, just using for reference)
Deer STR 1 MOV 2 (at str 3)
- Herbivore, equal to Wolf str
Lion STR 2 MOV 2 (at str 1 mov 1)
Lion Pack STR 3 MOV 2 (at str 2 mov 1)
Cave Lion STR 3 MOV 2 (at mov 1)
Gorilla STR 2 MOV 1 (at mov 2)
Orangutan STR 1 MOV 1 (at str 2)
Cow STR 2 MOV 1 (at mov 2)
- Using bull as reference for str
Cheetah STR 1 MOV 3 (at str 1 mov 2)
- Bonus to speed on plains/grass
Jaguar STR 1 MOV 2 (at str 4)
- Not quite as strong as a Lion. Maybe Jungle bonus?
Panther STR 1 MOV 2 (at str 2)
- Panther and Jaguar same cat.
Donkey STR 1 MOV 3 (at str 2 mov 2)
- I think this includes Zebra, so terrain bonus can apply
Horse STR 1 MOV 3 (at str 3)
Hyena STR 3 MOV 2 (at str 2)
- I've seen enough animal programs to know how effective/powerful a Hyena pack
can be. Even chasing off lion packs from a kill.
Giraffe STR 1 MOV 2 (at str 2 now)
Rhino STR 3 MOV 1 (no change except bonus on plains & grassland?)

@Dancing Hoskuld Let me know which changes (if any :mischief:) make sense to you and I can make the changes if you like.

Elephant STR 5 MOV 2 (at str 3 mov 1)
- Bonus to mov on plains, grass, savanna, mov penalty in forest, jungle

What about Asian elephants who spend all their time in the Jungle? They do very well in dense vegetation.

Gorilla STR 2 MOV 1 (at mov 2)
Orangutan STR 1 MOV 1 (at str 2)

They should get a bonus for moving in Jungle

Cheetah STR 1 MOV 3 (at str 1 mov 2)
- Bonus to speed on plains/grass

And Savanna.

Jaguar STR 1 MOV 2 (at str 4)
- Not quite as strong as a Lion. Maybe Jungle bonus?
Panther STR 1 MOV 2 (at str 2)
- Panther and Jaguar same cat.

Yeah bonus for Jungle for Jaguar. However a Panther is just another name for a black leopard. They live both in the Jungle and Savanna. I suspect they should get a bonus for both.

Donkey STR 1 MOV 3 (at str 2 mov 2)
- I think this includes Zebra, so terrain bonus can apply
Donkey should get a bonus on Rocky terrain for their sure footedness. Zebra should get a bonus for Savanna.

Hyena STR 3 MOV 2 (at str 2)
- I've seen enough animal programs to know how effective/powerful a Hyena pack
can be. Even chasing off lion packs from a kill.
Giraffe STR 1 MOV 2 (at str 2 now)
Rhino STR 3 MOV 1 (no change except bonus on plains & grassland?)

Again Savanna animals.

Here is how I think they should break down ...

Bonus to Ice, Permafrost and Tundra
- Mammoth
- Polar Bear
- Penguin
- Siberian Tiger
- Deer

Bonus to Forest
- Bear
- Cave Bear
- Deer
- Boar
- Wolf
- Dire Wolf

Bonus to Grassland and Plains
- Bison
- Horse
- Auroch

Bonus to Dunes, Desert and Scrub
- Camel
- Onger

Bonus to Savanna
- Lion
- Pack of Lions
- Cave Lion
- Cheetah
- Panther
- Elephant
- Rhino
- Giraffe
- Zebra
- Hyena

Bonus to Jungle
- Jaguar
- Panther
- Bengal Tiger
- Elephant
- Gorilla
- Orangutan
- Cassowary
- Cobra

Bonus to Bamboo
- Panda

Bonus to Rocky
- Onger

The movement bonuses I was thinking where they had no obstacles and could move at a full RUN.

But all those suggestions make sense and are reasonable if DH agrees. :)

I didn't go through the newer animals yet.

Someone has already been through and adjusted the combat strength of the animal units. I know because when I set them up the subdued version had the same combat strength as their wild cousin. Now many of them are twice as strong. I wonder if this is the reason I had been finding the early eras a "give me". I hate "give mes".

Someone has already been through and adjusted the combat strength of the animal units. I know because when I set them up the subdued version had the same combat strength as their wild cousin. Now many of them are twice as strong. I wonder if this is the reason I had been finding the early eras a "give me". I hate "give mes".

I'm not sure who or what was done before, but they seem unbalanced as is (compared to one another). Thus, my suggested tweaks.

Subdued animals should be the same as their wild counterparts at the most. Weaker would make sense to me more than stronger.

Units made from buildings created from subdued animals is another story: Bear Rider, Rhino Rider, etc.

Top Bottom