C2C - Units

As for the Canoe Builder's Hut, I specifically did not want ti to upgrade into the Shipwright because it can be used for Rivers. Big ships cannot enter rivers which is why canoes can still be used (until steamboats).

Just to point out - if Canoe Builder's Hut were to upgrade to Shipwright, but Shipwright requires Coastal Access, you could still build Canoe Builder's Hut on cities that are river only. I think what we need to figure out is OR building prerequisites on units so you don't have to stay locked into one building to build a given unit. Then your Shipyard could also build Canoes for your river squares (even though they currently can't be built once you get War Galley).

Just to point out - if Canoe Builder's Hut were to upgrade to Shipwright, but Shipwright requires Coastal Access, you could still build Canoe Builder's Hut on cities that are river only. I think what we need to figure out is OR building prerequisites on units so you don't have to stay locked into one building to build a given unit. Then your Shipyard could also build Canoes for your river squares (even though they currently can't be built once you get War Galley).

Yes, but What about cities on rivers AND coasts? If it replaces it then you cannot still have it for the river.

Yes, but What about cities on rivers AND coasts? If it replaces it then you cannot still have it for the river.

But if (and only if) Shipwright allows you to build Canoes, then why should you be able to build both? I think reducing the number of buildings active at any one time, in play and on the building lists, would help rein in some of the issues we are seeing with too much production and gold. I'd like the choices at any given point to be meaningful, and I think seeing Canoe Builder's Hut as an option in a Medieval-era city is not part of that.

Since the Colonialism tech is empty, I think the Colonist would fit quite good there. They could need some buffing, too.
Also, what about the "free buildings on tech" someone mentioned? I would really like to see those!

an idea for the Great Commanders: Give them a new promotion line that uppens the surround and destroy boni. ( Obviously only if that game option is chosen ).
It seems rather natural for an army with a dedicated command unit to be more effective in surrounding the enemy.

the medic line is a little bit brocken. every medic unit from healer to ww2 medic reduce the disease property until they ubgrade to the medic helicopter. the helicopter doesnt reduce disease

an idea for the Great Commanders: Give them a new promotion line that uppens the surround and destroy boni. ( Obviously only if that game option is chosen ).
It seems rather natural for an army with a dedicated command unit to be more effective in surrounding the enemy.

There are some new S&D tags for units/promos that could also be used for this application I believe.

First of all, thank you very much for the great mod!
I wanted to ask if you plan to make a new military units during the fifteenth to
eighteenth century?

After a very extended in BTS Medieval we have nearly the same as in the BTS units
until the end of the nineteenth century.

I outlined what I would see between Medieval and Napoleonic era:

Armored cavalry - Cuirassier- Napoleonic cuirassier - Cavalry

Light cavarly - Hussar - Nap. hussar

monted crossbow- Dragon - Nap. dragon -

Demi lancer - - Reitar- Ulan

Hand gunner - Arquebus - Musketeer / Fusilier- Rifleman

Elite swords. - Sword&bucklet - Nap. Grenadier - -//-

Elite Pikeman -Tercios - Fusilier - Rifleman

Halberdier - Grenadier - Nap. Grenadier - -//-

heavy Crossbow.- -//- - Fusilier - Rifleman

After that, there are many regional types of cavalry and infantry, which I will not
mention, that should be treated as a regional entity (national).

Regards

An idea to split 18th/early 18th century units a bit more ( apart from Ulans/lancers as a different sort of cavalary, see above), could be to split the standart infantry (Fusilier/musketteers/Redcoats and the like) into line infantry and light infantry ( Chasseurs/Feldjäger etc.) with light infantry beeing weaker, but getting a first strike, and maybe a retreat chance.
Another possible unit to look into would be marines. Basicly every colonial power had some kind of those during that time for landing operations and tough battles in the colonies.

@Ostrogsky

Thanks for the feedback. It all depends upon the following ...

1. At what tech would these fit in?

2. Is the unit generic enough. Meaning is it too Euro-centric and would be better off as a culture unit than a general unit? For instance the the Hungarian culture already has the Hussar for its unique unit.

3. Are there graphics available for this? If not then we cannot add it even if we wanted to.

I noticed too that we don't have a lot of unit diversity after the Renaissance. I am going to work up a Dragoon (Renaissance mounted infantry) and a Lancer (Renaissance light cavalry). I have unit graphics for them so they should not be too difficult to make. I just have to create appropriate stats and buttons.

I noticed too that we don't have a lot of unit diversity after the Renaissance. I am going to work up a Dragoon (Renaissance mounted infantry) and a Lancer (Renaissance light cavalry). I have unit graphics for them so they should not be too difficult to make. I just have to create appropriate stats and buttons.

Could you post them before you put them on the SVN? I would like to see your idea first. Maybe even tweak or add to it.

Could you post them before you put them on the SVN? I would like to see your idea first. Maybe even tweak or add to it.

Of course. I probably won't have a completed model to post until next week -- I'm away from my main modding computer right now.

I'm sorry if it had been asked before, do the "Organ Gun" intentionally was made for a defensive purpose only? Becuse it can't attack or bombard in my game.

@Ostrogosky:

As Hydro said, graphics are the main issue with adding new units. If you have graphics for them I'll consider it (I've wanted to rewrite the Industrial units for a while now), but until then there's not much I can do.

I'm sorry if it had been asked before, do the "Organ Gun" intentionally was made for a defensive purpose only? Becuse it can't attack or bombard in my game.

Not AFAIK. Hydro, is it supposed to be that way? Because that sounds like a bad idea to me.

Not AFAIK. Hydro, is it supposed to be that way? Because that sounds like a bad idea to me.

I always thought that Ribaldquin and Organ Gun were the beginning of the Siege Gun line: Ribaldquin - Organ Gun - Gatling Gun - Machine Gun. I don't mind them not being able to attack or bombard, because I use them as stack defense units. What I find weird is that Ribaldquin and Organ Gun have Don't Receive Defensive Bonuses, which I think is really counterproductive.

Thus they should receive Defensive Bonuses shouldn't they?

Also... might be a good time since we're discussing these, to sub-combat define the various types of Siege Weapons. Would help to more clearly understand their purposes and to establish them for various Flanking Attack definitions on those units that would be able to flank attack against them.

Top Bottom