WWII PBEM - Tora

Another vacation for me: I will be flying to sunny Las Vegas, Nevada, USA for a bachelor party weekend from this afternoon (7/26) through Sunday (7/29). Chance of me playing turns while in Vegas is nil, however I may play turns in the airports/on flights if I manage to get a wifi signal on my laptop. Worst case I will catch up on Monday or Tuesday of next week.

Hi guys,

I'm back but I have some discouraging news. I think this game is too big for my laptop. I tried to play my turn today and it literally took 20 seconds to reposition the screen. The interface is so laggy that it takes forever to move the screen and select a unit. It will take me forever to play a single turn and misclicks are almost certain due to the lag.

I've selected all of the features within the game to limit the requirements on my PC within the game (e.g. lowest screen resolution, graphics low, render quality low, glob quality low, animations frozen, effects disabled, low resolution tectures, no high detail terain, etc.) and shut down everything that is not critical to PC function and it's still sloooooooow.

Any ideas? I've NEVER quit a PBEM game before and I've played over 20. But this one is just too painful...

Alas there is at least 2 things you can do to improve your situation
Which operating system are you running and how much RAM?

1 use "msconfig" type this in "RUN"
On the "startup" tab deselect everything(no worries here, if something here is needed to run, the system will recheck it on restart). One note this might disable your Anti-Virus which in most cases are Beasts.

2 the second depends on your Windows version

This is my work computer so I'm reluctant to do anything that could cause issues (like disabling antivirus) as I'd be stuck with no way to do my job.

Windows XP Pro (SP3)
Intel Core2 Duo T9600 @ 2.80 GHz.
3.48 GB of Ram

That's completely understandable.

Your laptop is plenty big enough, probably even big enough for higher graphics too.

As an essential part of your job, I'll assume it's used alot. In this case there 2 awesome user tools
Open your "My Computer" and right click on your (C) Local, Left click on Properties. here there is 2 tools; Defrag and Scan disk, Your Co. Tech would appreciate you doing this. But each take a while to do. Scan Disk will require a restart

I have a feeling this is a memory issue, whether it too much running at the same time or a RAM stick is bad or dislodged.

There's lots we can try that won't harm your laptop. Another option is to Right click on your Anti-Virus icon (bottom right near clock) and turn it off. It will be active again on Restart or simply launch it from your Start menu.

Edited last few lines

I run defrag often. I doubt this would speed anything up once the game is running anyway.

I also ran the Error Checking tool with no issues. I run this often as well. I assume this is similar to Scan Disk / chkdsk which I used to run in Windows 3.1 way back.

I'll try to play the turn with Norton disabled while disconnected from the network today to see if that helps.

OK. I disabled Norton and loaded the save. From the time I clicked on the save until the first BtS splash screen showed up was about 2 minutes. From there, it was another 1.5 minutes before the password screen showed up. After entering my password, it took another 30 seconds for the save to finish loading.

Once open, the game is VERY laggy. When I move the mouse to the edge of the screen, it takes 5 seconds for the view to start changing. From there, it seems to pan a few pixels at a time. To pan the view just a little (1/4 of the view scrolled) in one direction from moving the mouse until the screen stops slowly panning is about 30 seconds (usally instantaneous with any other game I've played). When I use the wheel on my mouse to pan in (or out) one level takes 15 seconds (again this is usually instantaneous). I select a unit and move it one tile and it takes 20 seconds. With the interface lag I made two misclicks when trying to move units.

This laggy interface makes the game unplayable for me. I'm not patient enough to wait 20 to 30 seconds for the pixel-by-pixel screen panning to stop before moving a unit.

I hate to bow out but I don't think my computer is up for the task of this huge game/scenario. Any ideas on how to proceed?

BTW, don't assume that I want to quit this game; I'd love to keep playing. I've been having fun beating up on Eclipse Churchill. :D

Note: I play xOTM and SGOTM games all the time so I know my rig can handle Civ no problem.

OK. I disabled Norton and loaded the save. From the time I clicked on the save until the first BtS splash screen showed up was about 2 minutes. From there, it was another 1.5 minutes before the password screen showed up. After entering my password, it took another 30 seconds for the save to finish loading.

Once open, the game is VERY laggy. When I move the mouse to the edge of the screen, it takes 5 seconds for the view to start changing. From there, it seems to pan a few pixels at a time. To pan the view just a little (1/4 of the view scrolled) in one direction from moving the mouse until the screen stops slowly panning is about 30 seconds (usally instantaneous with any other game I've played). When I use the wheel on my mouse to pan in (or out) one level takes 15 seconds (again this is usually instantaneous). I select a unit and move it one tile and it takes 20 seconds. With the interface lag I made two misclicks when trying to move units.

This laggy interface makes the game unplayable for me. I'm not patient enough to wait 20 to 30 seconds for the pixel-by-pixel screen panning to stop before moving a unit.

I hate to bow out but I don't think my computer is up for the task of this huge game/scenario. Any ideas on how to proceed?

BTW, don't assume that I want to quit this game; I'd love to keep playing. I've been having fun beating up on Eclipse Churchill. :D

Note: I play xOTM and SGOTM games all the time so I know my rig can handle Civ no problem.

I'm sure we can find a replacement player. Just sent your password to someone via PM or something, thats all we need. Sorry to lose you...

Sorry to be lost... :D

I hope you guys won't hold this against me if/when I try to join one of your other games.

For a handoff, I think it makes the most sense for me to send the save to my replacement as opposed to one of you. Then, I can fill him/her in on what I've done so far and why so that he/she quickly comes up to speed. Of course, my secret deal with the US to backstab Russia and Japan will have to be renegotiated... ;)

Will one of you post the need for a replacement or should I?

:sad: It's a pity to see you go... you were one of the first to sign up... unfortunately I'm not much of an PC expert so can't really help...

BTW, don't assume that I want to quit this game; I'd love to keep playing.
None of us will think that! You were even on a winning roll...

But if there isn't really anything to be done... we'll have to find you a replacement... which could be a nightmare again, with all the instalation stuff as the place as I've placed the zip files seem potential hazzardous...

But if there isn't really anything to be done just send me your password and we will try to find you a replacement... which could be a nightmare again, with all the instalation stuff as the place as I've placed the zip files seem potential hazzardous....

Eclipse was able to get his machine set up again. Hopefully someone will step up. I've posted for a replacement already in the Replacement Players Hall. I'll work with him/her (who am I kidding... him, not her) as best I can to help get them set up and ready to play. I do NOT want to leave you guys in a bad state on this fun scenario.

I had a reply to one of my emails and he is interested in taking over the Germans.

I just hope that the download\setup goes well... :please:

yay a replacement! TheOtherDaniel I look forward to beating on you as the USA... oh wait nevermind, we are isolationists! ;)

Top Bottom