Resource icon

[vanilla] Complete Guide to Happiness (vanilla)

I did some quick tests and I've found them to be global. At least in the case for the buildings I tested (walls, castle), so I'm going to assume other buildings like this are global as well. In short my city of 4 population was producing 7 happiness from buildings.

all social policies are global. local is limited to the buildings listed under the buildings header (including taj mahal and chichen itza).

how do you get to that "City Breakdown" for unhappiness? - the opening post shows an example where Delhi is at 9.12
I haven't been able to find the spot in the UI that gets me to that.

How do you view this info? Is this a hidden info screen or a mod or what?

Hi i have G&k expansion, have noticed that since las parch, previous to BNW release, golden ages are not increasing their cost.

This is like golden age is suposed to work:
"The amount of excess happiness needed to create a golden age on standard speed starts at 500, and increases by 250 for each previous happiness golden age that has occurred and 1 percent per extra city founded".

But when the 1st golden age ends, the count for the next one dont raise up to 750, it remains in 500.

Hi,

I'm playing Gods & Kings.

I noticed that capturing a city does not always add unhappiness. However, when loading the game the unhappiness is set appropriately.

Has anyone else noticed this, or am I just paranoid and having bad memory?

Question:

Taj Mahal: +4 happiness (local)
Chichen Itza: +4 happiness (local)

What is meant by 'local' here? Also, I bet those wonders have changed since the expansions, as they don't give happiness anymore.

Local happiness means the happiness they provide is limited to the number of citizens in that city. Global happiness (e.g., from luxuries, or Meritocracy, or Ceremonial Burial, to name a few) is happiness that can offset unhappiness anywhere in your empire (including the base unhappiness derived from the city itself).

Most happiness buildings (circus, coliseum, pagoda, etc.) now just give local happiness. So, for example, if a city with 8 pop has a circus (+2), coliseum (+2), and Taj Mahal (+4), it has maxed out on local happiness. If that city then builds Chichen Itza, or a Zoo (+2 local happiness), it doesn't get the additional happiness immediately. It has to grow its population to enjoy the benefits of that happiness. In this example, the city could grow 2 more pop with a Zoo or 4 more pop with Chichen Itza, before it started feeling happiness constraints again.

Happiness is the one thing that I seem to struggle with constantly in Civ5. The AI always seems to have happiness of like, 35 while mine is 0-5 at best.

On higher difficulties, the AI get bonus Happiness to allow them to settle more cities. In the early game, they will always have (much) more than you. That being said, in the early game, you don't really need more than 1-3:c5happy:. Just make sure you have some positive before a city grows and you're good to go. Early Golden Ages are not very strong, and since you can only have a few in any game, they are better later.
In the late game, when AI has settled twice as many cities as you and you have Ideologies providing tons of happiness, it's actually possible to have more than them, even get them in the red with ideological pressure.

Top Bottom