Football Thread No. 9

Why can't Southampton qualify for it? Or do you just mean we are too poor? Anyway its not an argument against mine. I mean if we get the least yellow + red cards in Europe we will get a spot :rotfl: - thats a serious criteria to enter the competition. You could get relegated one year and still play in the Europa league next year!

The problem with the europa league is thursday nights, this means weekend fixtures after be moved, they should play the games on tuesdays like it times past

Play on Sundays then.

If I go to a match (which I sometimes do), I much prefer to go on a saturday.

The only reason they wont have tuesday/ wed europa legue games is because it clashes with the CL, I say stuff the CL

I far prefer the UEFA cup format.

agreed, knock-out would make the games much more interesting.

However, and that is why it was changed, you have fewer guaranteed games and it's an unfair system. Bigger countries and better leagues would have a much easier time collecting points for the 5-year-ranking. Whereas with group leagues, the bad luck of having an unluck draw can be turned around.

The problem with the europa league is thursday nights, this means weekend fixtures after be moved, they should play the games on tuesdays like it times past

Why is that a problem? What's the difference between a Sunday or Saturday matchday? One is better for families, one for the other fans. It's bad when you have all the games on Sundays, correct, but that's not necesarily the case.

FIFA is going to allow goalline technologies! Who is thsi man and what have they done with the real Blatter?

What's up with the Glasgow Rangers? I read there are some votes if they shall be banned from the SPL, which league will they play then? Is Scotland on the verge of civil war?

What's up with the Glasgow Rangers? I read there are some votes if they shall be banned from the SPL, which league will they play then? Is Scotland on the verge of civil war?

Rangers entered administration and had all of their assets sold off. These were bought by a company that's presently trying to get a new team into the league, because the old one doesn't exist anymore. None of the other teams in the league think it's fair for a new team to start right at the top, so the new Rangers might have to start at the bottom of the Scottish football pyramid.

That's my limited understanding of the situation.

Rangers entered administration and had all of their assets sold off. These were bought by a company that's presently trying to get a new team into the league, because the old one doesn't exist anymore. None of the other teams in the league think it's fair for a new team to start right at the top, so the new Rangers might have to start at the bottom of the Scottish football pyramid.

That's my limited understanding of the situation.

Except because of the financial implications for Scottish football they may start in the league directly under the SPL.

We won't, too many clubs in the top two divisions hate us, some because of the cheating (hey, we dodged taxes to no end for over a decade, and it's always a toss-up to see if either us or Celtic gets the bigger benefits from the refs) and some because of jealousy, but whatever the result, they do not want us. We're going all the way down to the third division alright.

Why not on the 4th tier?

Something to do with TV money required to keep other Scottish Clubs afloat.

I guess they could always apply for the Northern Premier League, I think Gretne used to play in that, though they may struggle in even such a low english league.

That's a constant which is always rebuffed, a lot of idiots like to throw around the rumour that one or both of the clubs will join English football. Besides nationalism and such, if a lot of people are trembling at the thought of rangers beign relegated, how could they want us out of the system entirely?

It seems almost surreal to read the first line of the wikipedia entry: "Rangers Football Club was a football club based in Glasgow, who played in the Scottish Premier League until the end of the 2011-12 season." One hundred and forty years, fifty league titles, and a history as rich in drama, tragedy and glory as you'd find at any club; all of it reduced to ashes in so short a time it hardly seems possible.

A very sad situation for the fans, and for Scottish football generally. The fall in revenues is going to hurt a lot, so it would have been tough to blame the other clubs for letting Newco Rangers straight into the Premier League. But they've made the right decision in saying no. The alternative was to set a precedent that the rules should vary according to a club's popularity - a death knell to any sense of fairness in football.

It seems almost surreal to read the first line of the wikipedia entry: "Rangers Football Club was a football club based in Glasgow, who played in the Scottish Premier League until the end of the 2011-12 season." One hundred and forty years, fifty league titles, and a history as rich in drama, tragedy and glory as you'd find at any club; all of it reduced to ashes in so short a time it hardly seems possible.

A very sad situation for the fans, and for Scottish football generally. The fall in revenues is going to hurt a lot, so it would have been tough to blame the other clubs for letting Newco Rangers straight into the Premier League. But they've made the right decision in saying no. The alternative was to set a precedent that the rules should vary according to a club's popularity - a death knell to any sense of fairness in football.
If Airdrie, Third Lanark, etc. were relegated, so should we, if Dundee got 25 points deducted then why shouldn't we be punished for actually being bankrupt by our evaded taxes having to be paid all at once?

Otherwise, you get what happens here in Argentina:
  • Independiente's president, Mr. Julio Grondona, took power as head of AFA in 1979. He promised that Independiente would neither be bankrupt nor relegated for as long as he held office, this promise has so far stuck, even though Independiente have finished bottom of the table twice and are in the red for literally hundreds of millions (three hundred and a few tens of millions at the latest count and mounting), but there's never a problem.
  • Racing Club, in 1999, was on the verge of being declared bankrupt when a special law was created for them and sanctioned within the day to allow them to go under administration -which wasn't allowed for any other club up until then-, form a new company and then, since it was a popular club that had been in decline for a few decades, they were made champions in 2001 while every single other match was postponed because the country had descended into anarchy and a popular club winning the title would supposedly help restore peace.
  • Boca Juniors in the mid-80s went bankrupt after a Rangers-like spending spree, then the laws were changed so that all clubs were officially 'non-profit organisations' and they were saved. They didn't even have a field by then.
Aren't 30%+ of all Scottish fans Rangers fans?

It is a problem, but.. I dislike that 2 teams dominated the league so much. I suppose now 1 team is going to dominate :lol: .. but..
Only for the next three years. ;) Sellik have even more 'fans' if you count their support in Ireland -acceptable- and overseas Irishmen in the U.S., Canada, etc.

Well, Rangers also have another problem. Under UK law the players can walk away from the old company without having to pay anything (TUPE regulations). The current owner (Charles Green) is threatening to sue any team that takes on those players, and the SFA just refused registration transfers, but he won't win. Question is, how are they going to rebuild the team (and how is FIFA going to view UK law, but that's just going to be entertaining whatever the outcome).

Over here, it's normal that contracts are only valid in the Highest League. Don't they have that in Scotland? Seems like the most normal thing and would make everything clear... However, Glasgow Rangers isn't in the premier league anymore, so why should the players want to stay? (well, not all, but it's normal that the majority is looking for other clubs)

But isn't that a bit late now? Sion bought one Rangers player two weeks ago or so (that's all I know about those transfers ;)), league's about to start at the end of this week. And I guess, the situation is similar all over Europe. So if he wants to do something about the transfers, he better do it yesterday...

Or is there a difference between accepted transfers (for little money since Rangers are broke) and players walking away?

Top Bottom