Discussion about the ISDG Forums

Because the formation of the ISDG Forums by the Big Mods is taking longer than expected, DaveShack came up with another idea. Here it is:

Originally Posted by DaveShack
Another idea just came up. How about invite-only social groups? You can have threads in there so it doesn't take up PM space or have the hassle of cc'ing lots of people. The admins wouldn't have to be bugged to create forums or create access lists that you'd have to manage. The root for the game can still be in a forum thread, which would remain at the top with no other activity -- and can be stuck if necessary. The only drawback that I've found is that all moderators can see it, so if a member of the other team is a mod it can be trouble. And you don't navigate to it in the same way.

Personally, this doesn't present a reasonable alternative. Too far out of the norm to attract new people, or keep the regulars, IMO. What does everyone else think?

I suppose that would work but it doesn't seem ideal.

Originally Posted by DaveShack
Another idea just came up. How about invite-only social groups? You can have threads in there so it doesn't take up PM space or have the hassle of cc'ing lots of people. The admins wouldn't have to be bugged to create forums or create access lists that you'd have to manage. The root for the game can still be in a forum thread, which would remain at the top with no other activity -- and can be stuck if necessary. The only drawback that I've found is that all moderators can see it, so if a member of the other team is a mod it can be trouble. And you don't navigate to it in the same way.
It could work, but it certainly isn't the best way. If it's what we have to do until actual forums are up, then it's fine with me.

We have had 4 people post here in the last week. How many people signed up for teams? This is terrible. I don't know who to blame. The apathetic people or the apathetic administrators. Such a waste.

@ Bowsling - Just the Conference of Four thread is being done at CivForums. That's the thread where the two Referees and 1 person from each site will get together and discuss the rules and the organizational procedures, until everyone is happy with each. The four people are Furiey and justanick, Lanzelot and someone else from CivForum (maybe d7 :dunno: ).

Hmmm. I think I missed that one. But I'm not sure that would be better than DaveShack's idea. Less security for sure. I think I'd rather push for our own.

Today marks the second month we have been discussing this ISDG. I sent a PM off to the CFC Admin, in hopes of getting something done. Hopefully, they will answer quickly.

Good news people. We got a quick response from ainwood, an administrator. He asks what we wanted to do and I gave him an outline of what I thought would work best.

So if things look different when you come back, you will know why.

Sorry, I have been under water with work the last couple of days, but I promise to get the "Conference of the Four" going tomorrow. justanick already set up a write-protected thread for this: Conference of the Four
justanick also sketched out a brief agenda, I will fill in more details, and then start with the first topic.

I do hope that by the end of the next week, all open points are settled, and if by that time our private team threads are ready as well, we can start!

Lanzelot

Good news people. We got a quick response from ainwood, an administrator. He asks what we wanted to do and I gave him an outline of what I thought would work best.
:woohoo:

Old forums archived, and new forums created. Note that the new forums are not private - anyone can see in them. I can create forums & user groups for the teams as required (I understand that people want private forums - understandably!) Let me know team names, group leaders etc.

..and our apologies for not getting this done sooner. Breakdown in communication.

Thank you so much for the work done, ainwood. It's really appreciated.

By "Private Forums" I meant what the Saber Team (and others) have in the MTDG II subforum.

Each of the ISDG teams has a list of players already created in the "Interest" thread that is being updated. But we're really not sure how many of the players have wandered off. I suggest that each subforum start a new list from players that sign up in their respective subforums. This way, we'll know for sure who is playing and who is not.

Is what Saber has in the MTDG a user group or a private subforum?

Everything looks good and if user groups is what we want, that's fine. Thanks again.

Ok, so I guess the private forums are actually user groups (known as social groups in some circles). So let's get these teams named and some Presidents, DPs, Team Captains, whatever we need to call them, and send these names off to ainwood so he can create the user groups for us and put the links in the appropriate subforums.

Create the Subforums. So we can diskuss our Civ Choice and other things.
Team Name can change later, ......... or not?

Well, 1. I can't get a real answer from ainwood or DaveShack about the private forums, 2. Once you create a user group, it's done. You can't change the name. It would just be floating around the forum unused if we created a second one with a different name.

So let's get the naming process and some kind of team captain done, so I can give them to ainwood and try to force an answer. I don't want to go to him empty-handed. See? ;)

Yes, the private forum is here. Just go to your user control panel ("My Account" in the header above), and then go to user groups on the left-hand column to join Civ3 DG - Democracy Team. Your request will be sent to me and if you're a known member, you'll be approved. All spies will be taken out back and shot. ;)

EDIT: If you have any trouble getting access, just let me know via PM. Thanks.

EDIT: For members of the Succession Team, when you apply to join the Civ3 DG - Succession Team the request will go to Lanzelot and he will take care of it.

Top Bottom